PDA

View Full Version : Confirming Largest Cog Size for Campy 9-Speed RD

johnkjos
02-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Hi all,

I wanted to confirm what I've read on the web and in some eBay ads. The statement is that the largest cog that you can use with a Campy 9-speed short length RD is 26 teeth. I have a 13-26 cassette.

I had problems with another bike set up with a Campy 10-speed 13-27 tooth casette. The chain would bump somewhere near or on the top pully when in that cog. You could see it bounce a bit.

Thanks. Also thanks to the advice from this group I have purchased and installed a Campy compact front crankset. It works just like you guys said it would...perfectly.

thwart
02-01-2010, 08:14 PM
It works just like you guys said it would...perfectly. We're always right, John. :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D

oldpotatoe
02-02-2010, 07:56 AM
Hi all,

I wanted to confirm what I've read on the web and in some eBay ads. The statement is that the largest cog that you can use with a Campy 9-speed short length RD is 26 teeth. I have a 13-26 cassette.

I had problems with another bike set up with a Campy 10-speed 13-27 tooth casette. The chain would bump somewhere near or on the top pully when in that cog. You could see it bounce a bit.

Thanks. Also thanks to the advice from this group I have purchased and installed a Campy compact front crankset. It works just like you guys said it would...perfectly.

With proper chain length you can use a 13-28/9s cogset no problem with a short cage. I have this very setup on a demo bike.

No such animal as a Campagnolo 13-27(29?). If the top pulley hits the biggest cog, either screw the 'b limit' screw OUT all the way(for Campagnolo, at the bottom pivot) and if it is, perhaps shorten the chain one link.

John M
02-02-2010, 08:23 AM
I agree that the short cage RD can make the swing to the larger cassette if you screw the B-screw all the way out. I've made a short cage campy shift to a 29 adequately. It may not work on all bikes though as the derailleur hanger comes into play as well.

johnkjos
02-02-2010, 09:13 PM
I am grateful for all the good advice. I bought the short cage RD today. Thank you "John M", "oldpotatoe", and I already thanked "thwart" who responded with a very humble response himself.

John Kjos