PDA

View Full Version : Campy Triple Conversion

endosch2
02-01-2010, 06:49 AM
I am trying to see what granny gear bolt circle is on my old (2000) campy triple gear. It is currently a 52/42 /30 configuration.

Can I use any 74mm bolt circle mountain granny gear to bring the small gear to a 24 or 26 for example???

Thanks in advance!

sg8357
02-01-2010, 07:21 AM
I used to have a 42/24 combo, not a quick shift, had to finesse it.
A N-gear jump stop is a good idea. The 24>42 worked pretty well.

The front Campy mech really is for 12 tooth differences, I use 48/36/24,
that shifts well.

oldpotatoe
02-01-2010, 07:47 AM
I am trying to see what granny gear bolt circle is on my old (2000) campy triple gear. It is currently a 52/42 /30 configuration.

Can I use any 74mm bolt circle mountain granny gear to bring the small gear to a 24 or 26 for example???

Thanks in advance!

26, no problem, 24 and the chain may drag on the cage in higher gears

endosch2
02-01-2010, 08:52 AM
I used to have a 42/24 combo, not a quick shift, had to finesse it.
A N-gear jump stop is a good idea. The 24>42 worked pretty well.

The front Campy mech really is for 12 tooth differences, I use 48/36/24,
that shifts well.

Isnt the middle / big ring bolt circle on a road triple 110? Can you use a 36T chainring on that bolt circle or is that a mountain crankset you are referring to?

oldpotatoe
02-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Isnt the middle / big ring bolt circle on a road triple 110? Can you use a 36T chainring on that bolt circle or is that a mountain crankset you are referring to?

Campagnolo triples are 135mm for the big/middle and 74mm for the small.

Smallest middle ring is a 39t on these cranks.

Ken Robb
02-01-2010, 08:55 AM
I had good performance with early 10 spd. Chorus and 48-38-28 rings on TA Zephyr cranks. If the granny on Campy cranks doesn't work think about getting a Sugino triple crank w/rings.

endosch2
02-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Campagnolo triples are 135mm for the big/middle and 74mm for the small.

Smallest middle ring is a 39t on these cranks.

Thank you - that was the exact answer I was looking for. I think I will go 52/39/24 with a newer long cage chorus r.der and a 12-25 in the rear for my MT Wash Hillclimb bike.

Ken Robb
02-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Thank you - that was the exact answer I was looking for. I think I will go 52/39/24 with a newer long cage chorus r.der and a 12-25 in the rear for my MT Wash Hillclimb bike.

Would you be happy with your present 30 small ring if you got a 13-29 cassette?

oldpotatoe
02-01-2010, 09:39 AM

You 'may' have to get a deeper caged front derailleur to encourage the chain to come off the smaller, middle ring to get to the small. The 'bump' on the Campagnolo FD is optimized for a 52(3)/42 combo and is a little high for a 39t, when you use a 52t(no probem with a smaller big ring). I have used shimano FDers made for 52/39, like Ultegra if you don't mind putting a shimano FD on a Campagnolo system. Works great. Also a longer BB spindle, so you get more FD inward travel, sometimes an issue with fat tubed frames(Like Serotta legend ti).

endosch2
02-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Would you be happy with your present 30 small ring if you got a 13-29 cassette?

Thats another option but a small chainring is cheaper than a cassette. I am not normally using the triple so I have to switch from my compact to a triple for this ride. I have a campy Centaur Triple Ft Der. I will test it out and see how it does. Sounds like there are a lot of options I could go with - I will start with the most simple. Also according to some it is best to have a 1:1 option for Mt Washington and some gears close together like a 23-25 in the rear.

Does the 13-29 go from 26-29 or 27-29?

thwart
02-01-2010, 11:30 AM
The 13-29 goes 21-23-26-29 for the 4 largest cogs. I think either approach is cool, but dropping your chain is a huge hassle in such an event, and more likely with a big drop from your middle to small chainring. I've seen some chain-keepers fail with enough force applied. The Campy long cage RD's are good for a 13-29 on the back, and you probably could get by with a medium cage RD as well---I'm sure someone here has first-hand experience.

The cassette switch seems the more straightforward approach to me... oh, and I just happen to have a spare Veloce level one available... ;)

Tobias
02-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Thats another option but a small chainring is cheaper than a cassette. I am not normally using the triple so I have to switch from my compact to a triple for this ride. I have a campy Centaur Triple Ft Der. I will test it out and see how it does. Sounds like there are a lot of options I could go with - I will start with the most simple. Also according to some it is best to have a 1:1 option for Mt Washington and some gears close together like a 23-25 in the rear.

Does the 13-29 go from 26-29 or 27-29?
I'd ask around to see if the middle ring is needed during the MW climb at all. If you are going to stay in the granny ring the entire time then shifting up front isn't going to be much of an issue. You'd just need to make sure you can hit a small enough cog while using the granny without the chain rubbing on the middle ring.

To do it right (as suggested above by others) you need a smaller big ring so the front derailleur can be set much lower in proportion to such a small granny ring. And that would require a "compact" triple bolt pattern. It also assumes your FD can indeed be adjusted much lower (clamp versus braze on?). Something like a 48/36/24 may work fairly well for normal road riding and also seriously-steep climbing when combined with proper cassettes.

Ken Robb
02-01-2010, 01:17 PM
[QUOTE=endosch2]Thats another option but a small chainring is cheaper than a cassette.

But you said you were also going to change your rear derailer along with the chainring. I gather you already own an assortment of front derailers.

I don't think of a new cassette as an extra expense just for this project either because they wear out and you'll need to buy one anyway. Would you prefer your present gearing for all but extreme climbs? That also might suggest the swappable cassettes as a good option and you won't be wondering if the front shifting will be worse.

endosch2
02-01-2010, 04:34 PM
I do have a short and Long cage r der on different bikes, as well as several ft ders, as well as a triple and compact crankset. I do not have the 13-29 cassette. I was wondering too if I am even going to shift from the 39 to the 24 or if I can ride the whole thing in the 24 using the cassette in back for range from 12-25. Anyone done the MT Washington Hillclimb who can chime in?