PDA

View Full Version : Ti Frame w/ Carbon Seatpost

steveo
01-31-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm building up my first Ti frame and was wondering if I need to prep my carbon seatpost in anyway before insertion. Do I have to worry about it seizing, eventually? Will Ti & Carbon seize?

What should I use? Some form Anti-seize (like Park Anti-Seize)? Carbon assembly paste? Grease?

If so, can someone recommend a product?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I tried a quick search and nothing came up.

-Steve

sbornia
01-31-2010, 05:28 PM
I use Finish Line's carbon paste with my Holland ti frame and PMP carbon post. Works very well: http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/fiber_grip.htm

Before I got the carbon post, I was using a Thomson. It kept slipping in the seat tube with regular grease. Bill Holland explained that he hones the inside of the seat tube very smooth, so he recommended the carbon paste. Worked like a charm on the Thomson, too.

steveo
01-31-2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the tip.

Now, what is the difference between that product and, let's say, this one:
http://images.competitivecyclist.com/images/products/park_tool/2010/8064_i_1.jpg
Park Tools Anti-Seize compound
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-accessories/2010-park-tool-anti-seize-compound-4252.52.1.html

sbornia
01-31-2010, 06:03 PM
I believe the anti-seize compound is intended for bolts.

pdmtong
01-31-2010, 06:28 PM
steve
do apply some tacx assembly paste to the post else it will slip. I usually figure out where my post will end up and stop the paste wipe maybe 1cm below that, so if I need to raise the saddle up, it's still "clean"

John M
01-31-2010, 06:33 PM
Anti-seize is special grease prevents chemical bonding between dissimilar metals. Ti anti-seize contains copper and it should be absolutely be used between aluminum and titanium parts. The carbon assembly paste is basically grease with small beads in it to increase friction at the lower torque levels required for carbon parts.

dekindy
01-31-2010, 06:34 PM
Anti-seize is special grease prevents chemical bonding between dissimilar metals. Ti anti-seize contains copper and it should be absolutely be used between aluminum and titanium parts. The carbon assembly paste is basically grease with small beads in it to increase friction at the lower torque levels required for carbon parts.

+1. That is word for word what my LBS has told me.

steveo
01-31-2010, 06:44 PM
Ok, so, it looks like we're dealing with two separate issues. Slippage/torque issues (a la assembly paste) and seizing (a la anti-seize).

I've read about carbon posts seizing to Ti frames...but from what has been posted it seems as if both of these products (assembly paste & anti seize) should be used. One to reduce seizing and one to torque correctly.

It seems a bit weird/silly mixing these two...is there a product that solves both of these problems? Correct me if I'm wrong...but wouldn't you want both? One for torque/slippage and one to prevent seizing?

How do you solve both of these issues? Or, am I worrying about this way too much, haha.

happycampyer
01-31-2010, 08:15 PM
You don't mix the two, you use them in different places. The anti-seize should be used for the headset and bottom bracket, but not for the seatpost. The assembly paste could be used for the seatpost.