PDA

View Full Version : Training Recommendations Needed

sjanicola
03-06-2005, 10:49 AM
My first post after buying (but not yet received) a Concours. I don't log a lot of miles, but when I do ride (hilly terrain on the North Shore of Long Island) I ride hard (average about 19 mph) for 20-25 miles 3x/week. I bite on hills which is I think is due in part to my old bike (wrong geometry for me) and, of course, me.

I've bought some books and I've picked up some tips such as isolated leg drills, but I don't know how to regiment my training. I lift weights 4x/week and play ice hockey 1x/week. It's difficult for me to ride the day after I do a heavy leg routine. So, as you can see, putting 3 rides together a week with the idea of improving my hill climbing is difficult. Last season I tried doing 5 continuous sets of climbing the same hill which did help. I've read where bike doing a ride in high gears/less rpms helps power as well (anaerobic conditioning).

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

Scott

Chief
03-06-2005, 11:49 AM
This time of the year you should concentrate on smooth spinning, spinning and more spinning. Developing a good high cadence now will pay dividends later. Spinning in a low gear will also make climbing hills easier than mashing a big gear. I'll bet that spinning will also be easier after a "heavy leg" workout.

sjanicola
03-06-2005, 03:26 PM
thanks. i've been doing just that. 2-3 killer spin classes a week. some do focus on high rpm, heart in your throat work while others have been at low cadence to make mince meat out of your thighs.

i'm interested to see how well i do when i hit the road.

ZippRider
03-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Spinning is good.. But doing a recovery ride the day after a hard workout either weight lifting or hill climbing will do wonders for you. A true recovery ride is zone 1 of your training heart rate. If you do not know that, you should ride very very easy for 30-60 minutes. You may think you are not doing much but you will recover faster and feel better the next day...Also try using a sport drink like Endurox within 15 minutes after your hard efforts

Zipp