PDA

View Full Version : Chains and links - I thought this would be easy

merlinmurph
01-30-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm ordering a bunch of stuff soon - chains, cassettes, etc. - and want to make sure pieces will be compatible.

I've got Campy Chorus 10 sp., new last year. I was looking at getting some Veloce chains, and want to get a link. After searching the forum awhile, it looks like getting a link compatible with a chain ain't easy. :confused:

Here's what I think is current info:
- A Wipperman Connex link will not work on Campy 10 UN chains
- Wipperman used to make a link that did work, 10S1(?), but it's no longer available.
- According to Dave (who I bow to for all things Campy), a Sram 10 Powerlock or some Forster(?) will work

I'm on the Ribble website, and they have neither of those links.

Performance claims to have the 10S1 link.

How about a KMC 10 sp chainlink for Campy? Ribble has these.

Thanks,
Murph

OtayBW
01-30-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm ordering a bunch of stuff soon - chains, cassettes, etc. - and want to make sure pieces will be compatible.

I've got Campy Chorus 10 sp., new last year. I was looking at getting some Veloce chains, and want to get a link. After searching the forum awhile, it looks like getting a link compatible with a chain ain't easy. :confused:

- Wipperman used to make a link that did work, 10S1(?), but it's no longer available.
- According to Dave (who I bow to for all things Campy), a Sram 10 Powerlock or some Forster(?) will work

Thanks,
Murph
Performance on-line indicated that they have the 10S1, but a call in to them indicates that what they have in stock is stamped '10 Speed'.

Dave
01-30-2010, 06:15 PM
The KMC link for Campy 10 will work. I even use it on an 11 speed chain.

The SRAM 10 powerloc should also work, but it's only sort of reuseable. The Park chain pliers will disengage the link, but I'd only resue it if there is some snap left when it's reinstalled.

Mike748
01-30-2010, 07:19 PM
Superlink IV from Lickton's (lickbike.com). Some complain about clicking. They work fine for me.

oldpotatoe
01-31-2010, 07:21 AM

Thanks,
Murph

Altho Dave will undoubtedly disagree with me but I have sold hundreds of Wipperman links for all 10s chains, shimano, Campagnolo Ultra and even Sram and have never had a problem with them, ever. One thing in retail, if something you sell doesn't work, you hear about it. The current link works fine. No noise, doesn't come unhooked, shifts just fine. Not sure what else one of these are supposed to do. I guess if ya take out your micrometer and measure things, you 'may' find something but thousands of miles, hundreds of links-> no problem I have seen.

merlinmurph
01-31-2010, 07:34 AM
I feel better. :) I'll be ordering today.

And while I'm at it, thanks to Serotta for hosting all of us.

Frequent lurker, seldom poster,
Murph

Dekonick
01-31-2010, 08:25 AM
Superlink IV from Lickton's (lickbike.com). Some complain about clicking. They work fine for me.

This is what I use - I suggest you buy several at a time as they are often out of stock.

I have no clicking.

Works great for using 3 chains and keeping them in rotation.