PDA

View Full Version : Tour de Georgia looking for Podium Girls . . .

BumbleBeeDave
03-06-2005, 08:40 AM
This from Cycling News . . . Should Sandy and Kevan apply? . . . ;)

BBDave

Dodge Tour de Georgia looking for tour hostesses

The Dodge Tour de Georgia is looking for candidates to be the official Tour Hostesses for the 2005 event, scheduled for April 19-24. Tour Hostesses act as ambassadors for the race and present the stage and jersey winners with awards during the awards ceremonies held after each stage. They will work directly with the Director of Programs to facilitate the daily awards ceremonies and special events, while working hands on with Tour sponsors, VIPs, staff and athletes. They will be photographed extensively and presented in front of media, fans and athletes at the team presentation event, all start and finish ceremonies and other select special events. Tour Hostesses are volunteer positions, although clothing, accommodation, meals and transport during the race will be provided by the race organisers.

"We are seeking women who are smart, knowledgeable in current affairs and culturally aware, who will represent themselves, this event, our state and our nation in a professional yet friendly manner to the world," said Karen O’Neill, director of programs for the 2005 Dodge Tour de Georgia. "The cyclists, the press and the spectators come from around the globe to this event, making it an international occasion to showcase our state and the warmth of our hospitality. Ideally, the successful candidates will have the ability to speak a foreign language fluently, preferably Spanish, French or Italian."

Guidelines and the application for Tour Hostesses are available at the Tour’s official website: www.dodgetourdegeorgia.com. The completed form and a current full-length photograph must be submitted via email or mail no later than Wednesday, March 16, 2005, to the Tour offices: Dodge Tour de Georgia, Attn: Tour Hostesses, 85 5th Street NW, 3rd floor, Atlanta, Georgia 30308. Email applications may be sent to koneill@georgia.org.

William
03-06-2005, 08:48 AM
Time to break out my wigs. Now, where did I put them..........

:eek:

William :p

Bruce K
03-06-2005, 08:56 AM
How far away is Tallahasee?

I think RA would make a great hostess. Smart, knowledgable, and could probably keep up with some of those guys for more than they would like to admit.

For those who may not have seen it, RA set an age group record at the Sebring (FL) 12/14 hour cycling race.

She apparently rode for about 11.5 hours out of the 12 (rest stops, etc.) and covered 209 miles, which is apparently 3rd best EVER for a woman at that event.

You go girl! :banana: :banana:

BK

William
03-06-2005, 01:31 PM
For those who may not have seen it, RA set an age group record at the Sebring (FL) 12/14 hour cycling race.

She apparently rode for about 11.5 hours out of the 12 (rest stops, etc.) and covered 209 miles, which is apparently 3rd best EVER for a woman at that event.

WAY TO GO CUZ!! :hello: :banana: :hello: :banana:

William

Dekonick
03-06-2005, 02:04 PM
I believe Sandy applied to be one... :rolleyes:

BumbleBeeDave
03-06-2005, 02:10 PM
. . . at Sebring. She sent me these snaps and I’m going to take indecent liberty and post them! ;)

I think RA shows us all an example that all of us should strive to emulate--though I for one am sure I could not keep up with her. She works, takes care of the kid, AND somehow finds time to get in the base miles to be able to compete in events like this. RA, I agree with William and Bruce--WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :p

On a bit more critical note, though . . . Notice that the ad for “tour hostesses” says nothing about appearance? They say they want brains and manners and communications skills--but not ONE word about what we all know they REALLY want--note they refer to hostesses being photographed extensively and requiring a full length photograph with the application.

BBDave

RABikes2
03-07-2005, 08:33 AM
Thanks guys! :) To say I am excited with the 12 hour finish results is an understatement.* :D It was good enough for 1st in my age group, 2nd overall female, a new Class/Age record in 50-54, and I believe, the third highest mileage for a female on the 12 hour Sebring course. Going into the race, I had a mental goal of 180-200 miles especially since I had just done a 300k (190 miles with an overall time of 12:50 w/ a bike time of 11 hours) two weeks prior to the race. To crank out 209 miles in 12 hours (11:33 bike time) was too cooooool! The pace was quick for my first 100 miles (5:18 time), pushing big gears (not very smart for me since I usually spin) into a headwind, and when you returned to the start area, the course continued on for loops of 11.5 miles (I started to spin more). I love "loop courses"; it was a definite "rush". :p

Too Tall, the first people I spotted when I drove into the race parking lot was your friends, the Guth's. I introduced myself; they are very nice. I believe it was my 6th loop, I was riding by myself and they came up on me (right before turning into the headwind); thank God. I grabbed their wheel and finished the loop with them. They were stopping for food, so I didn't see them again. They were doing the 24 hour race; they are both very impressive riders.

My right knee (the better of the two) has felt "off" for a few months, but I figured it was normal with some of the changes on my bike. After the 300k, my knee didn't feel "bad", but didn't feel "right", so I got them adjusted three times (chiropractor) prior to the race. I did forego my brainy ideas :no: on my bike adjustments (trying to avoid the saddle bruising I get) and visited Tony Prioli ;) , in Clearwater. Tony was WONDERFUL in fixing a few things, as I would have been a total mess if I'd tried to compete with the way I had the bike set up. I stopped three times during the race to get fluids, p*e, and to work on my right knee.

I've been off the bike for 14 days due to not being able to complete a pedal stroke. It's been intense and uncomfortable in the right kneecap; absolutely no squatting down. I started to feel "loony" :crap: . The knee is healing, but I go tomorrow to find out what I did to it. After mowing and gardening this Saturday and Sunday, I couldn't stand it any longer and tried to bike late yesterday afternoon. I was able to cautiously complete pedal strokes (YAHOO!), but didn't use pressure on my knee/leg for pull/push and did no standing; I completed 15 miles with a HUGE grin :D on my face. I am encouraged and optimistic by this since I have 14 days until the 400k (in 27 hours or less) in Bonifay on March 19-20. (I figure I can ride 10 mph for 25 hours to get the miles in the required time frame. Heck...that gives me 2 hours to play with! ;) ) I see a new Doc on Tuesday for a 2nd opinion. I'll decide then what to do about the 400k.

Hmmm...podium girl, you guys are too funny. But those were nice compliments; thank you, you are too kind. Tallahassee isn't far from the Tour in GA, about a 5.5 hour drive. (One of my favorite 100's is 6-Gap in that area.) I'm looking over my calendar to see which day I could plan a day trip up to watch the race.

Thank you again for the race acknowledgment.

I wrote a summary of the race for our bike club newsletter. Here is a part of it.
At 6:30 a.m. on Saturday, February 19, 2005, the start of the Bike Sebring 12/24 Hours Race was held in Sebring, FL. Click here: Bike Sebring 12/24 Hours Races The 12/24 race was also a RAAM (Race Across America) qualifier and entrants came from all over the US and Europe to participate in both distance races. It was a chilly start with the weather warming up nicely throughout the day. The terrain was a mixture of flat roads, a lot of rollers and a few climbs, with headwind and crosswinds all day. The race started with the first 100 miles consisting of three, very fast loops on the famous Sebring race track and then out for an 89 mile loop. Upon returning to the start area, riders continued to race 11.5 mile loops for the remainder of their ride time. At 6:15 p.m., the 24 hour racers were directed back on to the Sebring race track to do their remaining mileage doing loops for the next 12 hours of riding. Support was superb, timing was accurate, and the riders were amazing. From young to old, handicapped, and varying levels of rider abilities, all came together to test what they were capable of accomplishing in the timed mileage race.

weisan
03-07-2005, 10:05 AM
RA, what an inspiration you gave to us all. Thank you!

weisan

Jack Brunk
03-07-2005, 11:48 AM
RA,

Great job on the 12/24.

Jack

Too Tall
03-07-2005, 01:05 PM
RA YEEEE HAwwww. Congratulations way to go. Wonderful and inspiring. I campaigned to get Queen to do the 24 hr. event on tandem but she said it sounded boring :rolleyes: Not enough cows and haystacks!!!

The conditions there can be very tough and you are one tough rider.

Hope the knee is doing better. Any diagnosis on that? Roughness behind the kneecap or is it more of an imbalance eg. Vastus / IT? Lots of ice everytime it hurst OK? 2 lbs. bag of frozen peas in a freezer ziplock bag.