PDA

View Full Version : How does one distinguish a Campy Record 10 speed cassette from Chorus, Centaur, etc?

texbike
01-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Nautilus's post about 8 speed Campy cassettes reminded me that I have a couple of 10 speed cassettes that I am unsure of what level they are.

So...how does one distinguish between a Record 10 speed cassette and a Chorus or Centaur?

TIA!

Texbike

jblande
01-30-2010, 12:08 PM
No idea on the difference between chorus and centaur, but Record has Titanium cogs on the lower 6 cogs (I believe). The titanium has a shiny color, distinct from the steel.

Dave
01-30-2010, 01:10 PM
It's the largest 4 cogs that are Ti on a Record cassette. Cost a lot more and last half as long.

texbike
01-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks Guys.

I just spent a couple of minutes on the interwebs doing a bit of research.

In case anyone else is struggling with how to ID these cassettes, here is what I found to easily ID them:

-Record cassettes have Ti Cogs (the four largest) attached to aluminum carriers.

-Chorus cassettes have steel cogs attached to Ti carriers (for the four largest).

-Centaur cassettes have steel cogs attached to aluminum carriers (for the four largest).

Please feel free to correct me if I got these wrong.

Thanks!

Texbike

oldpotatoe
01-31-2010, 07:12 AM
Nautilus's post about 8 speed Campy cassettes reminded me that I have a couple of 10 speed cassettes that I am unsure of what level they are.

So...how does one distinguish between a Record 10 speed cassette and a Chorus or Centaur?

TIA!

Texbike

Top cogs on Record are titanium, on Chorus, all are steel. Both have the top/biggest cogs on aluminum carriers. Centaur, only the top 2 or 3 cogs are on a carrier, rest are loose. Veloce, all are loose.

wasfast
01-31-2010, 08:43 AM
The one other version, albeit expensive and not as common is an Ti Record cassette where all the cogs are titanium.

texbike
01-31-2010, 08:59 AM
Top cogs on Record are titanium, on Chorus, all are steel. Both have the top/biggest cogs on aluminum carriers.

Hmmm. Both of my cassettes have carriers that say "titanium" on them. The cogs definitely appear to be steel (more polished than I would expect Ti to be). Are these Chorus?

Thanks!

Texbike

thwart
01-31-2010, 09:02 AM
Re: 10 spd Campy cassettes... I've got too many of these around... :rolleyes: so, to clarify:

Both Record and Chorus have the largest 6 cogs on 3 separate carriers, 2 cogs on each carrier. I have owned Record cassettes with either 2 or 4 titanium cogs (and of course, the all-Ti 'racing version').

Chorus has all steel cogs throughout.

Centaur has only the 2 largest cogs on an alloy carrier.

Veloce, Mirage, Xenon---all have separate cogs, of different finish levels.Both of my cassettes have carriers that say "titanium" on them and have the flat finish. The cogs definitely appear to be steel (more polished than I would expect Ti to be). Are these Chorus? No, those are Record. The Ti actually has a higher sheen than the steel cogs, and is a touch more gold in color (at least to my eye).