PDA

View Full Version : Lost my Corgi today

dixiesdad
01-29-2010, 05:02 PM
My handle is Dixiesdad and is named after my Pembroke Welsh Corgi. After 12 wonderful years I said goodbye to her today after discovering cancer in her lungs. I am heartbroken but also so lucky for all the good years we had. I wanted to share it with the forum as I know there are alot of dog lovers here.

Louis
01-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Sorry to hear that. Pets are great friends and a joy.

When they're gone about all we can do is be happy that they got to spend some time with us.

that guy
01-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Sorry buddy :(

MattTuck
01-29-2010, 05:15 PM
You got it exactly right, be happy about the times you did have.

Since we live in an apartment and my wife has pet allergies, we cannot get pets despite both of us wanting them. You are lucky to have had the experience with your dog that you did.

Hai H. Ho
01-29-2010, 05:21 PM
I am on the other end of the timeline. My lady and I have had our maltipoo for only 3 months now, but the bond & love for a pet is much like that of a human being. We love our Tofu so much is so little time, so I can only imagine how much your heart aches after having your sideikick for 12 years.

Best of luck to you and your family. Let us know how we can help.

sn69
01-29-2010, 05:27 PM
Sincerely.

Scott

rugbysecondrow
01-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Losing a dog is hard, even though you know it is inevitable the day we bring them home. I had a dog die 3 years ago (German Shepherd, Border Collie, Huskie mix) and she still bring emotions.

It is a great journey that I am grateful for.

Sorry for your loss.

Charles M
01-29-2010, 05:39 PM
We just lost a Chow to Cancer.

And now have the devils spawn in our house...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/charles/devilsmall.jpg

Hope you find it easier soon.

RPS
01-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Treasure the great memories she provided, it will help you through the rough times now, and give you much joy later.

junkfood
01-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. I am glad you treasure al the good times.

eddief
01-29-2010, 06:59 PM
but probably many dixie's are well represented in this heartfelt balad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvKt8GkDxOg&feature=related

soulspinner
01-29-2010, 07:24 PM
I am on the other end of the timeline. My lady and I have had our maltipoo for only 3 months now, but the bond & love for a pet is much like that of a human being. We love our Tofu so much is so little time, so I can only imagine how much your heart aches after having your sideikick for 12 years.

Best of luck to you and your family. Let us know how we can help.

Went from a Newf to a Maltipoo. What a difference. Took years to get over the loss of our Newfoundland. Used to dream he was alive until we got our little Sophie :)

BCS
01-29-2010, 07:54 PM
We lost our dog, Bongo this year. The kids were devastated. Got a cat (Lebron) from animal rescue and it has been great for the whole family. Nothing can replace a longtime family pet but a new one has made the loss much easier.

RABikes2
01-29-2010, 08:11 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

RA

Smiley
01-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Very sorry for the loss of a beloved pet/family member.

Smiley
01-29-2010, 08:17 PM
We just lost a Chow to Cancer.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/charles/devilsmall.jpg

Hope you find it easier soon.

Pez, that pup looks like trouble :)

zott28
01-29-2010, 08:20 PM
I got a 2 year old Newfoenees that is basically my child. I fear that day. Sorry for your loss Dixiesdad.

Louis
01-29-2010, 09:29 PM

What makes me think that s/he can hear the can-opener from 500 m away? :)

dixiesdad
01-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Dixie loved to lick the spoon after I had eaten my yogurt in the morning. Even at the end she would get up and want just one small taste of the yoplait. When I first saw her she was chasing sheep with her mother and the rest of the litter. After a few minutes she decided she would rather sit in the shade than this nonsense. I knew then she was smarter than the average bear. I miss the most when you come home and her nose is the first thing that greets you. Her memory will never leave my heart. Thanks for all your kind words.

MerckxMad
01-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Grieve and then get yourself a new dog. It's the best therapy. After our chocolate lab of 13 years died, it took my family all of two weeks to decide that we needed another goofball lab in the home. We've had a yellow lab now for 3 years, and looking back, it was the best thing for us. Just the process of searching out a new companion, not as a replacement for Dixie, but as new member of your family. Be well.

Hawker
01-30-2010, 11:05 AM
We lost our 12 year Lab this year to an autoimmune disease which we fought for about six weeks. Very, very tough. Louis,sorry for you loss.

This video was sent to me the same week we lost her and meant a lot to me. It's had over two million views, so apparently a few other people have been blessed as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H17edn_RZoY

sc53
01-30-2010, 02:32 PM
Rest in peace, Dixie, and Dad remember all the good times. I lost my Zoe (Zo-Zo, also a spawn of the Devil!) 2 winters ago. I will never forget her. There will be another Corgi in my life one day--I've got Retrievers right now.

Louis
01-30-2010, 02:48 PM
I miss the most when you come home and her nose is the first thing that greets you. Her memory will never leave my heart.

I know what you mean. One of these years the unthinkable will happen and when I open the door from the garage to the house Abby, my ~19 year old cat, will nolonger be there to to greet me. I know he's old, I know he's slowing down, and I know he won't live forever, but so far so good, he's hanging in there.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=23579&stc=1

dixiesdad
01-30-2010, 04:12 PM
This a pic of little DB She was from nashville and was named Dixie Belle

Louis
01-30-2010, 04:38 PM
She was from nashville and was named Dixie Belle

Quite the Southern Belle. The most important thing is that they be happy when they are with us, :) then they move on. :(

xjoex
01-30-2010, 05:09 PM
This a pic of little DB She was from nashville and was named Dixie Belle
Adorable!

Its alright when dogs leave us, since we treat them so well when they are here.

My Zeus-
http://boulder.inotion.com/joe/2010/01-01_lht/DSC_6908.jpg

-Joe

sc53
01-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Dixie Belle was quite the lady! She obviously loved to eat, like my Zo-Zo. Corgies and Labs just can't be controlled re. eating. It's a lifelong battle. Like with some of us humans.
We've got 8" of snow here (DC) tonight, and I am remembering Zo-Zo's romps through a blizzard we had here in '03. She was only a foot tall, but she blasted through all the drifts right beside my Lab.
DixieDad, it won't hurt as bad in a while. But it takes a while.

hookookadoo
01-31-2010, 04:33 PM
Sorry to hear about Dixie. The loss of a family dog is always tough. Glad you have pictures to remember the good times.

SEABREEZE
02-01-2010, 10:19 AM
With a handle like Dixiesdad, says it all. Shows how close you were. I fill your pain,as we went through a simular scinerio last week as well, with our shepherd Cisco. He loved to swim in our pond, so we burried him under a tree right by the pond.

William
02-01-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm very sorry.

It's very hard to let them go.

I guess if price for all the good times we have had with our dogs is to grieve so much when they go then I'll pay it. It's not easy but the happiness they bring far outweighs it IMO.

William

dixiesdad
02-01-2010, 10:52 AM
I spoke to a good friend who knew Dixie in Nashville and told him of her demise. He also remembers what a character she was. One memory he had was when she "beavered" one of our nice Ethan Allen dining table chairs, ie chewing around the leg of the chair so it looked like how a beaver takes down a tree. She was definitely a little dog with a big dog attitude.