PDA

View Full Version : Handlebar Size

jblande
01-29-2010, 03:12 AM
Is there any reason not to use a 26 mm handlebar diameter? I know the oversize ones are more prevalent, but I am curious what the reasons are?

FWIW, I am a 6 foot 3, 185-195 pound rider (depending on season/level of gluttony). I am thinking about an alloy stem with a carbon handlebar set-up.

Thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ray
01-29-2010, 05:16 AM
Is there any reason not to use a 26 mm handlebar diameter? I know the oversize ones are more prevalent, but I am curious what the reasons are?

FWIW, I am a 6 foot 3, 185-195 pound rider (depending on season/level of gluttony). I am thinking about an alloy stem with a carbon handlebar set-up.

Thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated!
No.

alancw3
01-29-2010, 05:26 AM
from what i understand most professional racers still prefer the 26mm bar as it has less frontal area i.e. wind drag. not sure that is important to our type of riding though.

gforce
01-29-2010, 06:49 AM
Oversized bars have greater stiffness that you will probably not notice
unless you are really torquing them.

sjbraun
01-29-2010, 07:16 AM
You have fewer bar choices in 26.0 bars, at least that's my impression after putting that size on my new Look. The newer shape found on bars like the 3T Ergonova doesn't seem to be available in 26.0.

Satellite
01-29-2010, 03:55 PM
I read an article on handle bar diameters once. It basically said Aluminum Bars increase in stiffness as the diameters go up. Carbon doesn't need the diameter difference to increase the stiffness. So the Carbon bar to me is just following the trend. The article was by whatever handle bar company Jan Ulrich was sponsored by. Jan used a standard size Carbon Bar and if that diesel engine didn’t need oversize I don’t need oversize; but I have them anyways LOL.

Edit:
NOT the original article I read but a quick search I found this information
http://www.poshbikes.com/product.php?id=115

I did some more searching and now Schmolke has even circum to the 31.8 and they claim a significant increase is stiffness (marketing is funny stuff):
http://www.schmolke-carbon.de/carbon/carbon_uk/tlo.php

fourflys
01-29-2010, 04:23 PM
my guess is you might actually find a smaller bar a bit more comfy because it's not as stiff... Nitto makes some awesome bars in that size, they're just not carbon (which I'd stay away from in bars or stems anyway...)

Erik.Lazdins
01-29-2010, 04:31 PM
I never did the larger have stuck with the 26 I have Nitto on my bikes, they are strong, stiff and have the round drop which feels better. the contoured ones look like manufacturing defects to me.

I've had pals go down due to broken handlebars - get a strong one

David Kirk
01-29-2010, 05:27 PM
One of the big reasons many carbon bars are large is it gives more surface contact between the stem and the bar so there is more friction between the two. This means that less force is needed to keep the bars from rotating in the stem and consequently that there is less need to crank down on the stem/bar bolts and risk damaging the bars.

The stiffness argument is a red herring. The bar companies don't really want to say in public that there is 'less chance the bar will fail' because that leaves bad taste in one's mouth. So the bars are 'stiffer' - nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean?

FWIW I use carbon bars and I trust them.

dave

Chris
01-29-2010, 06:52 PM
I think oversize bars are more aesthetically pleasing if you use a thick bar tape. Only reason in my mind...

false_Aest
01-29-2010, 07:29 PM
also an aphrodisiac

PacNW2Ford
01-29-2010, 10:30 PM
I read an article on handle bar diameters once. It basically said Aluminum Bars increase in stiffness as the diameters go up. Carbon doesn't need the diameter difference to increase the stiffness. So the Carbon bar to me is just following the trend. The article was by whatever handle bar company Jan Ulrich was sponsored by. Jan used a standard size Carbon Bar and if that diesel engine didn’t need oversize I don’t need oversize; but I have them anyways LOL.

Edit:
NOT the original article I read but a quick search I found this information
http://www.poshbikes.com/product.php?id=115

I did some more searching and now Schmolke has even circum to the 31.8 and they claim a significant increase is stiffness (marketing is funny stuff):
http://www.schmolke-carbon.de/carbon/carbon_uk/tlo.php

No material is exempt from the laws of physics...

jblande
01-30-2010, 02:40 AM
Thank you everyone for your replies. This was very helpful.

Dave
01-30-2010, 07:57 AM
I switched to oversize bars several years ago. It was obvious that the smaller diameter was being phased out. At the time, most OS stems were bulky and ugly, but Ritchey came out with the 4-axis stem and changed that. All three of my bikes now have the 4-axis stem and Easton EC90-SLX3 bars.