PDA

View Full Version : ain't that Grant Peterson a peach?

eddief
01-28-2010, 06:41 PM
I know he inspires very mixed emotions, but this stream of consciousness about some new socks he is selling just cracked me up. Sometimes ya feel like a nut. Sometimes you get to make a living being one:

How do they feel?

Cozy and airy, and they contour to your foot without pressing against it like a lot of sports sox do. They go on and off super easy, even over your heels. When you're going to sleep at night and you didn't bother to take them off because they feel so dad-blasted fantastic, and then your wife or whatever asks you to take your sox off in bed, and you ask her to do it for you with her toes because you're too tired --- in situations like that, if the sock is too hard to get off, she'll give up, but in the process will have scratched you with her big toenail right behind your ankle bone trying to do it. These Kangaroo socks avoid such calamities, because they're just the right degree of snugness and have the perfect amount of stretchiness to make removal-by-toe easy. The Mary Poppins of socks, they are practically perfect in every way.

Ken Robb
01-28-2010, 06:45 PM
yep he tickles me----when I "get it"----other times he makes me scratch my head.

cody.wms
01-28-2010, 06:57 PM
this just in - the socks are actually made out of carbon fiber. A steel replacement will be released in the coming months.

Wilkinson4
01-28-2010, 07:31 PM
http://www.jpeterman.com/Mens-Accessories/Alpaca-Blend-Socks

I can't wait till Rivendell comes out with an Urban Sombrero!!! I'll buy one and wear in on my next sub-24!

mIKE "who actually owns a Rivendell fixed gear road bike"

Wilkinson4
01-28-2010, 07:32 PM
I just realized:

J. Peterman
G. Peterson

Wow

Ken Robb
01-28-2010, 07:58 PM
I didn't know J. Peterman was still in business. I used to enjoy their catalogs almost as much as those from Bridgestone or Rivendell. :)

gemship
01-28-2010, 08:29 PM
I am now wearing my favorite socks. I don't sell sock but these are the best socks I have ever owned in my whole mediocre life. They are so good I will give you folks the incredible gift of this link to what I believe are the best most comfortable socks you'll ever wear. Now don't get me wrong they aren't the kind of socks you'll wear while riding your roadbike unless your riding in cool weather and wearing your street clothes, these are first and foremost a hiking sock but they are the most comfortable socks bar none. In fact I believe they may even make Grant a convert and they're like half his price :p

http://reviews.llbean.com/1138/IG74361/reviews.htm

Joellogicman
01-28-2010, 08:45 PM
In fact I believe they may even make Grant a convert and they're like half his price :p

http://reviews.llbean.com/1138/IG74361/reviews.htm

Actually, the cheapest model of your LL Bean linked sock sells for .50 cents more than the Riv Kangaroo sock.

Probably made in China too. At least you can be sure LL makes more profit per sale.

Marcusaurelius
01-28-2010, 09:02 PM
I've always admired G. Peterson courage to folow his own path and I do agree with him on a lot of his ideas. I switched to downtube shifters on one of my bkes and it's great.

gemship
01-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Actually, the cheapest model of your LL Bean linked sock sells for .50 cents more than the Riv Kangaroo sock.

Probably made in China too. At least you can be sure LL makes more profit per sale.

Oh my mistake, I clicked on that J. Peterman link that Wilkenson4 posted. Now I'll have to find the Riv Kangaroo sock. I don't know about where the Riv socks are made or how much profit he gets from them but I will say you may be right about all that and I'll also presume the the LL Bean socks are better, they really are that good and I'm not making any money at all saying that.

P.S so now I just checked out the Riv socks and upon sight I can certainly tell that my LL Bean socks are a heavier gauge sock that I would believe to be of a higher standard and certainly have to be made so for a more extreme set of uses and most likely there fore a better value. It also says on the package (I have four pairs in two unopened packages) Made in the USA of Australian wool, 78% merino wool 20%stretch nylon and 2%spandex.

Come to think about it :rolleyes: I don't mind paying that extra 50 cents for anything that is made in the USA, ahmen. Not to mention LL Bean is one of the most stand up companies out there when it comes to quality and returns ;)

Joellogicman
01-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Usually if a product is made in the U.S. the seller says so. Perhaps LL does not want to call attention to the fact most of its stuff is imported.

The Kangaroo sock is made in Australia - you know, where Kangaroos are from. If you do not know where the Riv sock is made, or where it is from, how in the world do you know the LL is better? There is a lot more to thickness of wool to quality in clothes. Compare an Ibex wool base layer with just any one else's.

Riv also sells socks from Minnesota and Iowa. Most of its clothes are from the U.S., New Zealand or Australia. I would prefer to buy my merchandise either from fellow citizens or countries with at least a somewhat equal balance of trade with my own/

gemship
01-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Usually if a product is made in the U.S. the seller says so. Perhaps LL does not want to call attention to the fact most of its stuff is imported.

The Kangaroo sock is made in Australia - you know, where Kangaroos are from. If you do not know where the Riv sock is made, or where it is from, how in the world do you know the LL is better? There is a lot more to thickness of wool to quality in clothes. Compare an Ibex wool base layer with just any one else's.

Riv also sells socks from Minnesota and Iowa. Most of its clothes are from the U.S., New Zealand or Australia. I would prefer to buy my merchandise either from fellow citizens or countries with at least a somewhat equal balance of trade with my own/

what's so great about made in Australia besides there higher cost of living? I wear these socks, I'm looking at the Riv socks right now, the pics are so good that I can make a educated guess that the material seems thinner compared to my socks, perhaps not as moisture wicking nor as stretchable and seeing as where I've been wearing the LL Bean socks I can attest to the fact that the merino wool doesn't itch.

Outsourcing is outsourcing I'd say Rivendell is guilty of this as well and they certainly are a business, blah,blah. Look they make a nice bike, they aren't a outdoors clothing co. , that's all their fluff, kool aid etc., etc.

Getting back to the original post, yes Grant sure is a peach, quite the smoozer, upon site of the LL Bean link I posted earlier it's so vanilla in comparison. If wasn't for the fact that someone gave me these socks I would never of had the opportunity to brag about how great they are but with Grant it's like a whole new dimension.

Louis
01-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Forget that wool stuff, I've found that plastic socks (microfiber, not sure of the brand) are even better for wearing in bed.

Nice and toasty warm without any constriction.

gemship
01-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Forget that wool stuff, I've found that plastic socks (microfiber, not sure of the brand) are even better for wearing in bed.

Nice and toasty warm without any constriction.

and that's where LL Bean nailed it... 20% stretch nylon 2% spandex there's your plastics

eddief
01-28-2010, 09:53 PM
a subject like socks.

gemship
01-28-2010, 09:59 PM
a subject like socks.

Ha,ha,ha. You know usually I just read on in humor with regard to all Grant threads but these socks, I'm telling everybody are the best. I got a total kick out of it when I read made in the USA with Australian wool. I just had to share that. I almost feel like taking a photo and uploading it... but that would be work for me having to resize images blah,blah. not to mention breaking out the camera. I don't care,it's a personal thing, wear what you want. Spend your money where you feel comfortable.

At least the conversation is somewhat bicycle related, I think. Better than that state of the union thread which is sort of interesting as everybody puts a spin on politics but it's just more of the same as all the other O.T. politic drama. My socks are the best socks I've ever worn riding my bike in temps as low as 0 degrees and they still are toasty and nice under the covers in bed but they get put in the drawer as soon as the spring thaw comes and I would never wear them riding in my pear izumi outfit with my specialized s-works shoes that are unfortunately made in china.

Louis
01-28-2010, 11:47 PM
only here could there be heat around a subject like socks.

It would be interesting to know if cyclists (or more generally, folks who care enough about an activity and/or thing to join an online community and talk about it) have a greater incidence of OCD.

In my case I'm an engineer and we get paid to gather data, process it, and solve problems with that information, so I have a good reason for being this way.

What's your excuse? :)

Kevan
01-29-2010, 05:25 AM
a subject like socks.
Yeah, Boston sucks!

ss-jimbo
01-29-2010, 07:41 AM

The LL Bean socks are made in the USA. Click "Details". Maybe try looking at the product before spouting off on internet forums. I'm going to try a pair.

palincss
01-29-2010, 08:07 AM
I didn't know J. Peterman was still in business. I used to enjoy their catalogs almost as much as those from Bridgestone or Rivendell. :)

They are indeed still in business: http://www.jpeterman.com/

On the other hand, I think the best cycling-ala-J.Peterman writing can be found on the Rapha web site. Grant doesn't even come close, IMHO.

Ken Robb
01-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Yeah, but I can at least dream about affording something from Riv but Rapha????

goonster
01-29-2010, 10:05 AM
The LL Bean socks are made in the USA. Click "Details". Maybe try looking at the product before spouting off on internet forums. I'm going to try a pair.
The socks are fantastic. I have several pair, but not for cycling. There must be a mill making these for several private brands, because I also have nearly identical socks with the Columbia logo.

But here is the big picture situation:

Very few of the products LL Bean sells today are made in the U.S. There are these socks, the Bean boots (a fantastic value), the boots made by Chippewa, and a few other items, but overall the percentage is small and declining. I know this because I've spent an afternoon roaming the local store, reading labels.

Riv has gone out of their way and bent over backwards to offer products (clothing, especially) made in the U.S. and other developed nations. As a percentage of total revenue, there is absolutely no doubt that Riv offers more products from developed nations.

Louis
01-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Riv has gone out of their way and bent over backwards to offer products (clothing, especially) made in the U.S. and other developed nations. As a percentage of total revenue, there is absolutely no doubt that Riv offers more products from developed nations.

Great - let's all stop purchasing products manufactured in countries like Cambodia, Pakistan, and Haiti. The people working in those plants don't really need jobs to help feed their families They can just live off the fat of the land.

This whole issue is much more complicated than a categorical "Buy USA" movement would have us believe.

Louis

Wilkinson4
01-29-2010, 03:29 PM
Whoever can come up with the funniest G. Peterson item description for a Rivendell product will get a free goodie from me... Not sure yet, it may be innocent or it may cause mayhem. Bicycle related.

Example(s):

Peterman: Then in the distance I heard the bulls. I began running as fast as I could. Fortunately I was wearing my Italian Captoe Oxfords. Sophisticated yet different; nothing to make a huge fuss about. Rich dark brown calfskin leather. Matching leather vent. Men's whole and half sizes 7 through 13. Price $135.00.

Ex; Oh, that's not too expensive.

Peterman: That shirt. Where did you get it?

Elaine: Oh, this innocent looking shirt has something which isn't innocent at all. Touchability! Heavy, silky Italian cotton, with a fine almost terrycloth like feeling. Five button placket, relaxed fit, innocence and mayhem at once.

fiamme red
01-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Whoever can come up with the funniest G. Peterson item description for a Rivendell product will get a free goodie from me... Not sure yet, it may be innocent or it may cause mayhem. Bicycle related.A random Pole told us that at least 45 percent of our bike-riding customers shave at least once a week. That's a huge common denominator; probably the biggest one we have. So from that point of view, shaving cream seems like a no-brainer.

For years I've shaved only with pine tar soap, in the shower near the end of it, and it works great. Then John here got me some Musgo Real ("real" means royal in Spanish, probably also in Portuguese; and "musgo" means moss). He got it for me some Royal Moss it had lanolin in it, and he knows I've a soft spot for that.

It turns out, Musgo Real is, like, the World's Best & Most Highly Regarded shaving cream, and made in Portugal. The maker, Claus Porto, is about 150 years old, and once people started shaving, Claus jumped.

If you have your old favorite shaving cream, stick with it. If you already use Musco Real (it has its fans), then why not buy it from us? And if you shave but don't have a favorite and are open to something new, try this. It's made by Claus!

A tube is 100 ml (3.4 oz) . To make it last forever, get a brush. I've never shaved with a brush until a month or so ago, when a customer forced me to get one. He said, "an almond-sized glob of cream is all you need." It works. I was getting ten shaves when I applied it by hand, and with a brush, probably forty or so. Even after shaving, the brush is full of lather. I wish I'd started brush-shaving thirty years ago.

Ozz
01-29-2010, 03:40 PM
...Riv has gone out of their way and bent over backwards to offer products (clothing, especially) made in the U.S. and other developed nations. As a percentage of total revenue, there is absolutely no doubt that Riv offers more products from developed nations.
I did not know that developed nations had a comparative advantage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparative_advantage) in making socks over developing nations. Facinating! ;)

FWIW - I love new socks...

:beer:

Saxon
01-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Stop slumming, Grant!
http://www.zappos.com/marcoliani-milano-2802t-3-pair-pack-navy

And they're on sale!!

I would only wear these after I wear out my Moxon Huddersfield's ;)
made with Altai Cashmere!

"Altai Cashmere takes its name from the mountains of Mongolia and it has been used for a long time by Moxon. It has one of the finest micron counts within the cashmere family and it is regarded as the rarest because the goats live in high altitudes where the weather gets extremely cold and the food is scarce.

Cashmere grown by these goats tends to be finer and has a better insulation characteristic than cashmere that grows in lower altitudes. Because food is scarce the fat element in the goats is minimal and over the centuries the coat has developed characteristics which keep them warm in winter and cool in summer. In this rarified atmosphere only these natural fibres can withstand such changes of temperature.

The spinning techniques in Mongolia are not refined and it was never within their capabilities to spin these fibres. It is only now that Europe had the technology that makes producing this cloth into a viable proposition.

Today Altai Cashmere is extremely difficult to obtain"
Nuts! :p

Wilkinson4
01-29-2010, 11:05 PM
Contest runs till Sunday night. There has got to be some creative guys out there! I think I have something cool y'all will like.

mIKE

v531xc
01-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Yeah, Boston sucks!

thumbs up!

Steve-O
01-31-2010, 03:47 PM
So Mrs. Steve-O works in the outdoors industry which means we have constant access to good socks. Over the years we've become sock "snobs" with drawers overflowing with our two main brands -> Bridgedale & Smartwool.

A few years ago we started getting our 7 y.o. daughter Smartwool socks. There were the initial cries of protest as her only wool experiences have been itchy scarfs from Grandma and sweaty, irritating Christmas sweaters that she was forced to wear once a year. With this in mind, we did not tell our daughter that the cute, striped socks she picked out each day were actually Smartwools!

Over time she learned the Smartwool logo (little guy) and figured out that she was actually wearing wool socks like her parents. During the most recent holidays a visiting aunt took her shopping at Target. Our daughter was shocked when auntie selected some cotton socks for own kids. Our daughter launched into her own diatribe about Smartwool socks telling her mid-Thirties aunt how good their were!

Anyways... To cut it short... This year everyone got Smartwools in their stocking for Christmas... There were no complaints.

goonster
01-31-2010, 04:59 PM
Whoever can come up with the funniest G. Peterson item description for a Rivendell product will get a free goodie from me
I'd like to submit two items, and hope that does not violate the extensive contest rules laid out by your vast legal team.

The first is from the second (!) mini-catalog written entirely in the style of Longfellow's epic poem "Song of Hiawatha"

Sugino XD Crank: $100

Sometimes lightening strikes a geyser
At the moment of eruption
Thought it happens, few folks see it
Since they're miles away and sleeping

Sometimes wild geese on their journey
To the warm south where they winter
Rest their overtired breast muscles
By trick flying, belly-upward

Sometimes grizzly bears, while fishing
In the wild Alaskan rivers
Open wide their mouths in yawning
And a leaping fish, surprising
Lands right in it, but escapes when
The shocked bruin, rearward stumbles
And preoccupies himself with
Getting balanced in the torrent

Just as rare, but right before you
Is a crank of such a value
That it seems it can't exist in
Wacky times, so slick and silly
When bad designs, highly promoted
In the register, get rung up
As though lemonade, they're cups of
Being offered on the sidewalk
By young children, just 5 years old
Entrepeneurial and charming

Look around and study hard, you --
Take notes and make an Excel spreadsheet
With weights and Q factors listed
And the price, and chainring options

This crank made fine by Sugino
Cold forged of strong light alloy
Blows the doors off any we've seen
That costs twice as much in dollars!

palincss
01-31-2010, 05:09 PM
So what's the second item?

goonster
01-31-2010, 05:15 PM
Next, we have an item from the holiday flyer whose copy was written entirely without the letter 'e' (except for product names, contact info, etc.)

Nigel Smythe & Sons Country Bag: $170

Okay now, think of this: You and a "pal" roaming around in grand country--rolling hills, rock outcroppings, and odd ruin or two, wild but not scary animals, sights that go on for thousands of yards, within sight and touch of plants short and tall, of all colors, and of a kind that nobody with a dictionary's vocabulary can talk about. Your cycling companion is just right, just who you would think of at night in a dark room. You know who. You both want food, so you stop, undo this Country Bag, and lift out a sack of chow and grog that has you both salivating in a Niagara Falls kind of way. Your companion says, "Man, you should don a gold crown (if a man) or tiara (if a gal) for bringing this ultra fantastic bag. It is just right for a big picnic in this country, for two chow hounds such as us. Plus, I wish all of my own bags had such a fabulous stitching, and its classy look." At this point you know it was worth far upwards of what it actually cost (which, actually, is both a lot and a fair amount).

William
02-01-2010, 03:54 AM
Wow! Three pages?!?!

I'd say it's working. ;)

William

Wilkinson4
02-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Since Goonster took the time, his reward will be devine. We have a winner.

Boy and girls, you missed out. Goonster will let you know what you missed!

And I ain't no poet:) Goonster, PM me with your ship to address.

mIKE