PDA

View Full Version : For all you two-bike families...

MallyG
03-05-2005, 10:47 AM
I will soon be the proud father of a sister for my Legend ST, when my full carbon Storck 1.0 arrives at the end of the month (the ideal family, one of each - Ti and Carbon).
So... how do you decide which bike to ride when? When you wake up on a Sunday morning and you're chewing over your porridge, what makes you think 'This is a day for Titanium?' or 'Hell, I'm in a carbon frame of mind'?

CNote
03-05-2005, 10:50 AM
This is an even more philosophically interesting question when the choices are: "This is a day for steel?" or "Hell, I'm in a steel frame of mind." Disclaimer: Steel is not real, it's just the only thing I have.

dave thompson
03-05-2005, 10:57 AM
Mally: I think your 'is this a Ti or Carbon day' conundrum will be resolved by how you feel at the moment of choice. Having owned steel, Ti and Carbon simultaneously, I never pondered the choices, I just "felt" like steel, Ti or Carbon at that particular moment.

Tough choices! :D

terry b
03-05-2005, 11:14 AM
It may sound like I have a bad case of OCD, but I track mileage per bike in my spreadsheet and from that I derive a little table that tracks where my bikes stand relative to each other vs. my overall yearly mileage goal. My intent is to ride each of them about the same number of miles annually.

When I had two, it wasn't so hard. With what I have now it's a bit more of a challenge.

For me, no emotion whatsoever, it's purely about statistics. But then I don't have "carbon days," "steel days" or "aluminum days." In the manner I've configured them, they all ride about the same.

Satellite
03-05-2005, 11:15 AM
MallyG,

For a while you will ride the new bike more frequently because it is new. After the dust settles you will find one that is better suited to you. Perhaps one will be a specialty bike one may climb better for instance. After I purchased my Moots VaMoots SL all my other bikes have been very nice looking dust collectors. The Moots VaMoots just does everything better. I hate to say this out loud, “My Moots just maybe the perfect bike” for me anyways. I will never part with my Serotta that old girl and I have been around the block many times.

You are a better man than I if you can alternate between your bikes and share the love between them. I now have 4 bikes and I only ride one; what a shame a down right shame.

Best Regards,

Satellite

1centaur
03-05-2005, 11:42 AM
After the new bike glow wears off, I tend to pick among my bikes by whether I feel strong or weak that day, whether I am going to be riding far or fast, how cold it is (which means I'll be riding slowly anyway) and whether I have not ridden one of them for a while and want to remember how it feels. Carbon tends to be my climbing and/or when I'm weak material, metal for medium or if I feel stronger, farther can be either, but generally carbon because even medium hills tire me out on long rides and I always appreciate the lighter bikes at that point.

Last year my Six13 with Topolinos got a lot of successive rides because it did everything well, then I got my Crumpton at the end of the season and it was new until the weather got too cold. Now I have an imminent Moots - I'm going to have to do a lot of rotating. Too little time, too many bikes. Love them all :)

Serotta PETE
03-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Leave them side by side and let your mood for the moment decide which one goes out with you.

I only have the "one" bike and must defer to SPOKES on what he would do in this situation.

flydhest
03-05-2005, 05:05 PM
I only have the "one" bike and must defer to SPOKES on what he would do in this situation.

. . . ahhh, yeah, Pete. One bike. That's the story and I'm sticking with it. Luckily for me, my eyesight got better when I left your garage. No more of this crazy thing with seeing multiples of a single thing.

Just remember, we only had one glass of wine each, as well.

gasman
03-05-2005, 10:34 PM
Do what I did. When I got my Calfee TetraPro, the Litespeed Ti was transformed with fenders to a great rain bike- very handy in the rainy( but not this year) Northwest. Then you only decide if it is going to be raining or not !! I have one friend who loves his Serotta Ti rain bike.

Oh, but it doesn't rain in the UK does it? :p :rolleyes:

M_A_Martin
03-06-2005, 01:58 AM
You can't ride more than one. So the one you are on is the only bike you have.

Now I know why Pete and I get along.

shinomaster
03-06-2005, 02:41 AM
I seem to plant my bum on the faster of the two bikes...

Ti-Boy
03-06-2005, 05:07 AM
Making that decision right now. My Parlee Z1x arrived Thursday. Do I take it for a shake out ride today on very salty roads or do the club ride with the Moots. The club ride is a St. Patty's day special with free beer at the local pub post ride. (I think they call that recovery? or is recovery when you stop drinking??)

Climb01742
03-06-2005, 05:50 AM
mally, the beauty of multiple bikes, for me, is it helps keep riding fresh and fun. their different characters will give your rides either subtly or dramatically different personalities. now if only we could convince our significant others that what's true for bikes is true for women. oops, did i say that out loud? :rolleyes:

Dekonick
03-06-2005, 06:54 AM
Considering how my Hors Cat weighs about 3lbs less than my Colorado CR - for climbing it will always be the HC. I really do love the CR - and I love the HC. The only bike I have that I seldom ride is my Trek Y-22. I wanna change to anothe mtn bike but the funds have dried up (it's amazing - the critter isn't even born yet and he is already sucking the life out of my wallet!)

Unfortunately, all of my bikes are pissed at me right now and wont let me ride them until it warms up a little more.... :p

Does anyone remember the name of that bike rack that holds 6 bikes and is on wheels? There was a tread a few months ago but I cant seem to find it. I see it on EBAY for $50 or so but someone posted here that you can get it direct from the manufacturer...but I cant find the website info anywhere.

Anyone?

dave thompson
03-06-2005, 10:17 AM
Does anyone remember the name of that bike rack that holds 6 bikes and is on wheels? There was a tread a few months ago but I cant seem to find it. I see it on EBAY for $50 or so but someone posted here that you can get it direct from the manufacturer...but I cant find the website info anywhere.

Anyone?
Here:http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=2628

MallyG
03-06-2005, 11:01 AM
Do what I did. When I got my Calfee TetraPro, the Litespeed Ti was transformed with fenders to a great rain bike- very handy in the rainy( but not this year) Northwest. Then you only decide if it is going to be raining or not !! I have one friend who loves his Serotta Ti rain bike.

Oh, but it doesn't rain in the UK does it? :p :rolleyes:

You are forgetting.... the UK is a Caribbean Island!!

M_A_Martin
03-06-2005, 11:53 AM
I see they have little concern for that ancient disease: Scratchus Paintius

(the bike carrier, not the UK...)

Climb, I can't see why your woman wouldn't allow you to apply your bike theory to women in your life, as long as she can apply it to the men in her life (and you're ok with that...), she should be ok with it too! Start today! Go tell SO Climb that she needs to get out and test out a few more models to help her develop a more rounded view of life and you'll do the same...let us know how it goes. ;)
Good luck with that.
:D

Climb01742
03-06-2005, 01:24 PM
darn, m.a., i knew there was a flaw in the plan somewhere... :crap:

Dekonick
03-06-2005, 02:09 PM
Thx - thats the one!

Serotta PETE
03-06-2005, 04:20 PM
You can't ride more than one. So the one you are on is the only bike you have.

Now I know why Pete and I get along.

I knew I liked you and will share my wine with you at the Open House - unless Flydhest gets the bottle before either on us. :beer:

M_A_Martin
03-06-2005, 07:54 PM
It's that whole now and zen bike thing Pete.

I certainly won't have a sports release and I don't think I'll be in riding shape (or ready for 12 hour drives..) for the open house, so I might not go...

but I'm fairly sure I'll be in Montana (Flydhest will have to come out there to share wine with us!)