PDA

View Full Version : What's this Rivendell worth?

scrooge
03-04-2005, 08:42 PM
I just ran across this 68cm custom built Rivendell. According to Rivendell, this should fit me (built for someone 2.5 inches shorter than me, but Riv said it'd be okay (I'm still wary). Anyway, the current owner describes as follows:

the bike is about 3 years old and outfitted with modern high-end components except the brake levers are about 7 years old . . . I really wanted drilled levers to add a little elegance and the brake calipers themselves are older Campy Record - single pivot - which work great but keeps the appearance subtle in the face of all that carbon fiber.

Size: 68
Head Angle: 73
Seat Angle: 71
TT Upslope: 2.0
TT Length: 64.5
CS Length: 45
BB Drop: 75
Campy Record Drive Train (180 mm crank arms)
46 cm Deda drop bars w/Campy Record bar-end shifters (indexed)
Brooks Swallow saddle on Campy Ti seat post
2.5 years old
Mavic Open Pro wheel w/Hugi (D/T Swiss) hubs, Continental Ultragatorskin tires (700 x 25)

Anyone want to put a (rough) estimate on what it's worth? Any other comments about the Riv ride?

(by the way, in case you've seen my other threads here, Yes, I'm still being indecisive about the Curtlo)

Tony Edwards
03-04-2005, 08:51 PM
Wow! How tall are you, that a 68cm frame is potentially too small?

That bike's resale value would have to take a major hit based on its size - there just aren't many potential buyers out there. We also don't know much about its condition. I'd say it could be worth something between $1,500 and $2,500, but it's not worth anything unless it fits you. I also have to question the choice of single-pivot brakes for a rider large enough to ride that thing, but that's a topic for another day . . .

scrooge
03-04-2005, 08:58 PM
[QUOTE=Tony Edwards]Wow! How tall are you, that a 68cm frame is potentially too small?

He claims the bike is in very good shape (of course). And I'm just shy of 6'8" with @ a 100cm inseam/PBH. According to Riv's chart's that should put me on @ a 70, but that just seem ridiculous.

Ken Robb
03-04-2005, 09:07 PM
3 Rivs and 2 Serottas at our house. Like them all but if I could only have one bike it would be something in the Riv-like design-slightly more stable and the option of running tires up to 38mm. Note: I am not saying that the Serottas are unstable--their handling is just right at the max-quick line for me. I can ride the Rivs easier no-hands and they turn quick enough for me.
A new Riv frame/fork is about $2500 with a 2 year wait.
I'd say this would be a steal at $1500 and fair at $2500 if it fits you.

The comment about how few buyers their will be for such a big bike cuts both ways: how many other good used bikes will you be able to find that big?

Ken Robb
03-04-2005, 09:08 PM
there was a 68cm Redwood on eBay recently--not as nice as a custome Rivbut a dandy riding bike none-the-less.

christian
03-05-2005, 07:23 AM
If it's three years old, I'm assuming it's a Joe or Curt-built custom. In that case, if the bike were a 58cm, it would easily fetch $2000-2500, I think.

It being a 68cm, I doubt there are many buyers, and that might affect the price some.

To my mind, $1500 would be an absolute steal, $2000 would be a good price, and $2400 would be my limit. $1500 would really be ridiculous.

- Christian

Needs Help
03-05-2005, 03:41 PM
Do you have any images of that monster? :eek:

Ray
03-05-2005, 05:08 PM
That's an extrordinarily laid back seat tube. If you like to ride well behind KOPS or if you have monstously long femurs, it might work for you. Otherwise, it might and might not. I'd be sure before you commit. I believe that the seat tubes on their big production bikes, the Redwood and Rambouillet, are 72 degrees.

Just a caution,

-Ray