PDA

View Full Version : snow sports helmets for cycling?

bikemoore
01-26-2010, 02:50 PM
I'm looking at buying a Giro snow sports helmet since I just recently took up skiing again after a 10-year absence. I was trying on helmets yesterday and really like the Giro G10, but its a little pricey for the amount of skiing I expect to do. However, it seems light and comfortable enough that it occured to me that I could possibly use it for cold weather cycling. Why just throw a summer vented helmet over top of the polypro beanie when you can maybe use a skiing lid? I have winter cycling shoes...why not a winter cycling helmet and doubles for skiing?

Has anyone tried using a snow sports helmet for winter cycling?

P.S. After 10 years away from skiing, I'm amazed at several things:
#1. Helmets have really come a long way into mainstream skiing. Giro seems to rule the roost by bringing their cycling helmet technology to the slopes and I see more people wearing helmets than not.....that's a good thing
#2. I can't believe how much easier it is to ski on the newer "parabolic/carving" skis than my old skis. When I last went skiing, carving skis were something new and weird and I never tried them. Now that I've rented new skis this year....wow!!! What a difference. So much easier....my legs simply don't get tired anymore. I think I used to get very tired because I had to work and fight the old skis so much.

We just enrolled my 6-year-old son in a local youth instructional ski team and he reached the point where he needed me to ski with him. So, I took it up again.....what a hoot it is to ski with your child (and watch him beat me down the hill)!!

cp43
01-26-2010, 03:12 PM
I have been using my ski helmet for my winter commute on really cold days for the last 2 years, ski goggles too. It's been great, much easier to keep my ears warm with the ski helmet than the bike helmet + hat combo.

Chris

Vertigo
01-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Me too. I have a Giro Fuse for snowboarding and use it while riding on cold days. It has a handy vent switch that allows me to open/close vents on the fly. good stuff.

Pete Serotta
01-26-2010, 03:27 PM
How it ventilates in the summer, if you are riding then, will be the challenge.

CNY rider
01-26-2010, 05:48 PM
I have been using my ski helmet for my winter commute on really cold days for the last 2 years, ski goggles too. It's been great, much easier to keep my ears warm with the ski helmet than the bike helmet + hat combo.

Chris

This is exactly what I do.
The ski helmet is a little heavier that a regular bike helmet. It would probably be noticeable after a couple of hours but my cold winter rides never get that long.

c-record
01-27-2010, 08:31 AM
Part of me just wants to make fun of this idea. Probably the road snob part. I actually thought about it yesterday when I went for a mountain bike ride at 20 degrees F.

csm
01-27-2010, 08:35 AM
my only thought would be how it affects your hearing. My giro is more like a race helmet I guess.... I think it would block some ambient noise; I know it does when I have my ipod playing.
I think some of the other ones would be a good choice. obviously you won't want to use it spring and summer but in the winter it should be fine.
seems to me someone actually markets a multi-sport 4-season helmet.

c-record
01-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Bern and some others do, but the style is definitely non-roadie.

c-record
01-27-2010, 09:43 AM
I'd want to make fun of you.

Bradford
01-27-2010, 11:14 AM
I'd want to make fun of you.
Why would you want to be warm and safe when you could be miserable and cool?

c-record
01-27-2010, 12:27 PM
No, for wearing a Bern 'multi-sport' helmet in the summer on a nice road bike. It'd be fair game.

djg
01-27-2010, 01:19 PM
I love my Giro ski helmet when I'm skiing but I guess I'd be discinlined to wear it cycling. I can see the temptation for long rides on bitter cold days, but I don't tend to ride in sub-zero weather (or go for long rides in single-digit weather). Partly that's where I live -- in Northern Virginia (and the DC area), there just aren't that many days that are all that cold and a morning commute when temps dip into the teens is fine with a lightweight balaclava under the bike helmet. And the bike helmet is lighter, and has better peripheral vision, and offers easier temp adjustment if things warm up later.

that guy
01-27-2010, 02:59 PM
I really want a Bern helmet for commuting. Very tough looking and functional. I could even wear it skiing (if/when I move back north).

C5 Snowboarder
01-27-2010, 06:11 PM
P.S. After 10 years away from skiing, I'm amazed at several things:
#1. Helmets have really come a long way into mainstream skiing. Giro seems to rule the roost by bringing their cycling helmet technology to the slopes and I see more people wearing helmets than not.....that's a good thing
#2. I can't believe how much easier it is to ski on the newer "parabolic/carving" skis than my old skis. When I last went skiing, carving skis were something new and weird and I never tried them. Now that I've rented new skis this year....wow!!! What a difference. So much easier....my legs simply don't get tired anymore. I think I used to get very tired because I had to work and fight the old skis so much.

We just enrolled my 6-year-old son in a local youth instructional ski team and he reached the point where he needed me to ski with him. So, I took it up again.....what a hoot it is to ski with your child (and watch him beat me down the hill)!!

try snowboarding.. if everyone could do it they'd call it skiing~ :beer:

bikemoore
01-27-2010, 06:55 PM
I never had a skateboard as a kid and at 50 years old I have a definite aversion to busting my a$$. I see people learning to snowboard and it just looks like they flop awfully hard on the ground when they crash where ski crashes tend to be more like slides. I'm quite happy skiing.

P.S. I bought the Giro G10 today with intention of using for cycling whenever its cold enough for me to wear a skull cap over my ears. If I don't need to cover my ears, I'll wear a regular cycling helmet. If I need to cover my head and ears, I'll wear the snow helmet.

Karin Kirk
01-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Good choice. I have a similar Giro ski helmet, and it's the most comfy one I've owned.
The primary difference, aside from the warmth, is that ski helmets extend much farther down the back of your head. Not sure if that would interfere with riding position, but probably not. The ear pieces are removable if you want the extra ability to hear cars, but of course then you'd have cold ears.

Yes, skis are amazing these days. So many genres, shapes and sizes (not to mention colorways!) and they are all lots of fun to play on.

Kids learn to ski at an alarmingly fast rate. Parents be warned - they learn so readily that soon you'll want ski lessons for yourself so you can keep up. :)

C5 Snowboarder
01-27-2010, 07:48 PM
I never had a skateboard as a kid and at 50 years old I have a definite aversion to busting my a$$. I see people learning to snowboard and it just looks like they flop awfully hard on the ground when they crash where ski crashes tend to be more like slides. I'm quite happy skiing.

P.S. I bought the Giro G10 today with intention of using for cycling whenever its cold enough for me to wear a skull cap over my ears. If I don't need to cover my ears, I'll wear a regular cycling helmet. If I need to cover my head and ears, I'll wear the snow helmet.

I never skateboarded either... scared the heck out of me..

never was a very good skier, I started snowboarding at 50 yr old due to my kid's insistence. that was 13 years ago and now they can't catch me. :) 11 snowboards in my quiver of snow weapons.. sieze the day. so don't play the age card.. been there done that.

xjoex
02-02-2010, 08:23 PM
I really want a Bern helmet for commuting. Very tough looking and functional. I could even wear it skiing (if/when I move back north).

I checked out a Bern today at the bike shop, cool looking... might pick it up with one of their liners for commuting in the winter.

-Joe