PDA

View Full Version : Riding Options-Kona Coast?

weatherman
01-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Taking the family to Kona Coast (Fairmont Orchid) for Spring Break this year and hoping to get at least one good road or mtb ride. Happy to throw my shoes, pedals etc in the bag and bring them along--going to need to rent a bike. Ideally, would be a nice 15-20 mile mtb adventure or 40-50 on the road (preferably with some nice climbs). Something that wouldn't kill a ton of time, perhaps even with a fun activity nearby for the wife/kids. I am aware of the "ride down the volcano" type rides and may very well do something like that with the family. What I'm looking for though is a "real" ride, if you know what I mean! Thanks in advance for any suggestions! :)

Kirk007
01-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Drive to Parker Ranch (Waimea). Ride a loop to Hawi (rt 250) return by Kawaihae on 270 then back to Waimea. Then drive down to Puako and snorkel the reef.

Ozz
01-26-2010, 02:18 PM
The Fairmont Orchid is a great hotel....I stayed there with the family about 5 years ago. Great coffee at the snack shack near the beach "Kona" of course....sea turtles pull them selves up on shore there. There is also a kid friendly lagoon & beach for swimming.

The Queen K highway is where the Ironman ride goes....frankly it looks pretty flat, straight and boring. The most interesting part are the messages built into the black lava flows with white coral.

I think Kirk007 has it right...head towards Waimea / Hilo and stay on the North of the Island. Down south on the Kona Coast the traffic is pretty heavy (relative ;) ), but the Queen K highway is pretty much the only road.

I think I'm going to Maui this summer...a buddy hooked up for a ride with these guys and had a good time: http://www.gocyclingmaui.com/

I think I will give them a shot....

Have fun.

weatherman
01-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Drive to Parker Ranch (Waimea). Ride a loop to Hawi (rt 250) return by Kawaihae on 270 then back to Waimea. Then drive down to Puako and snorkel the reef.

From the perspective of Google maps, it looks like that would be a cool ride! How is traffic?

thanks!

pdmtong
01-26-2010, 02:39 PM
When in Waimea, this is the local place to eat for b'fast/lunch

http://bigislandgrinds.com/2008/02/hawaiian-style-cafe-waimea/

Kirk007
01-26-2010, 02:48 PM
From the perspective of Google maps, it looks like that would be a cool ride! How is traffic?

thanks!

light traffic. Beautiful climb and descent on the ridge over to Hawi. Good ice cream/shave ice shack as I recall there - don't recall the name. The ride along the coast on 270 is exposed and can get hot. Refill water bottles in Hawi.

Re Traffic - while light, at least when I have been there, it is the Big Island which often means bad or nonexistent shoulders, tourists and locals in big 4wheelers on the road. Keep an eye and ear open. But it is a spectacular ride. One of the best on the Island ATMO.

Z3c
01-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Brad,

In general the traffic on the Big Island is pretty light but the roads are 2 lane with minimal shoulder if any at all.. Traffic is much heavier around Kona itself of course.

Don't recall if you are in to coffee but if so, you should visit some of the coffee farms around Captain Cook.

Have fun!

Scott

old_school
01-26-2010, 03:44 PM
You might enjoy this link:

http://www.steephill.tv/galleries/2005/hawaii/

weatherman
01-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Brad,

In general the traffic on the Big Island is pretty light but the roads are 2 lane with minimal shoulder if any at all.. Traffic is much heavier around Kona itself of course.

Don't recall if you are in to coffee but if so, you should visit some of the coffee farms around Captain Cook.

Have fun!

Scott

Thanks for all the info folks and the link! Scott, appreciate the info and was going to drop you a PM, but you saved me the trouble!! I am looking forward to the trip and am a definite coffee guy, planning on visiting the farms and sampling some good Kona brew while on the island. Hope you are doing well!

rpm
01-26-2010, 05:28 PM
I'll be there in March myself--I can't wait! One of my favorite rides is the Old Mamalahoa Highway. Go to Waimea and take 19 toward Hilo to Mud Lane, 3 or 4 miles out of town. Park in the dirt lot and start on the road parallel to the highway. It will take you up into some beautiful forests on the slopes of Mauna Kea. You'll drop down into the town of Honokaa and then to the sea.

Be sure to stop at Tex's drive-in on the way in and pick up a delicious Portugese energy bar--a fresh hot malasada. Not to be missed. Go into town and head out on the road to the Waipio valley, one the Big Island's most famous vistas. On your way back, see if you can get up the hill to the highway without walking and reward yourself with a bowl of Portugese soup at Tex's.

Rent a road bike at BikeWorks in Kona. They have a nice selection of high end bikes.

john903
01-26-2010, 07:54 PM
I used to live in Hilo and we would ride up the saddle road (200) from Hilo the road goes between Mona Kea and Mona Loa and drops out north of Kona. The Hilo side the road is better surfaced and less traffic. We would ride up to where a road goes up to the observatories then are then turn around. If I remember it was about a 40mi round trip lots of climbing and it can be hot,humid, and windy. I also second the Waimea loop that Kirk007 suggested. Again it can be very windy in Waimea, but a very fun low traffic loop. As a family trip drive up to the observatories and at the 9000 foot level during the week they let people look through some of there smaller telescopes it is free and fantastic star watching. Check with your hotel they should updated info.

Have Fun, boy I suddenly miss Hawaii.

bob the nailer
01-26-2010, 09:53 PM
I love riding on hawaii. have stayed at the prince hotel and the four seasons and ridden from both. Rent your bike from kona bike works, great folks, good bikes anywhere from entry to high level. I brought my own helmet,pedals and water bottles. I rode a lot up and down the queen K, i assure you it is anything but flat, has a nice wide shoulder, but can be windy and HOT on the black lava asphalt, so get out early and take lots of water. Before my last trip I had a spirited discussion on the hawaiian travel advisory forum about the advisability of riding the kohala mountain road- they advised against it because of the car traffic, not that it is all that heavy but the road is narrow and the locals are neither used to nor particularly tolerant of cyclists. I rode it anyway and had no problems, but it is windy coming down towards hawi. You need to see hawi either by car or by bike, great little town, cool restaurant called Bamboo, be sure and eat there, GREAT fish. I rode up kohala, down to hawi then along the coast. Found out what is at the end of a rainbow(hint-rain). Beautiful coastal ride. If you need to refuel as you pass through kawihae there is a little convenience store just on the right side of the road in a little shopping center. Oh and if you have never done it, you MUST go to the Four Seasons Hualalai for their Saturday night beach barbecue. Oh Lordy. It is expensive, probably 80 per person, but the food is sooooo good and the setting is spectacular. Best part of the trip. Have a great time, post a trip report when you come back. :D This is me, green with envy.

bob the nailer
01-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Hey ozz go cycling maui has a supported ride UP Haleakala, sea level to tenK feet in about 38 miles. I hope to do that someday. Am going to Kauai in May might get a little riding in there. Man I love the Big I, it is absolutely my favorite place on earth, not that I am any world traveler or anything but it is so cool, so varied, so many things to do.