PDA

View Full Version : Cannondale Hooligan -anyone have one ?

drewski
01-26-2010, 11:21 AM
I was looking into getting a couple of Cannondale Hooligan for the kids
for weekend rides. I was wondering if anyone has experience with one of the
bicycles. I am particularly interested in how they handle and if how
much play is in the stem.

Thanks,

Droid

Ken Robb
01-26-2010, 12:43 PM
I was looking into getting a couple of Cannondale Hooligan for the kids if how
much play is in the stem.

Thanks,

Droid I don't get this question about "play in the stem".

How much is acceptable?

drewski
01-26-2010, 12:49 PM
i heard the stem is forward and backward adjustable.....
Bike Friday is one company that comes to mind, Alex Moulton as well

Ken Robb
01-26-2010, 02:28 PM
the pix I saw made it look like a single pivot adjustment which I don't think would have much flex.

I have a bikefriday New World Tourist. Its stem is not adjustable and it is so tall that there is considerable flex. If I remember correctly bf will loan customers an adjustable stem to use until they decide exactly how they want their real stem made. bf is a wonderful company to deal with.

20" wheels seem to result in quick handling but the bike isn't twitchy in normal riding. I don't ride it no-hands though. As C-dale says you can easily dodge potholes. They don't point out that small wheels don't roll over bumps and holes as well as bigger wheels do. OTOH, it would take a tremendous blow to bend a 20" whell like the ones on my bf so that might be a real plus for a kids bike.

Acotts
01-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Why not just get a BMX for the kids? Hooligans are for adults.

They are super solid. You wont have any issues with them.

I really want one.

But I am not sure what they offer kids that a good BMX doesn't other than she-she stuff like disk brakes and "cool" paintjobs.

drewski
01-26-2010, 03:41 PM
cannondale really did their homework making those hooligans...
I want one 2 and I am trying to make an excuse up like
I am buying for the kids...

WeakRider
01-26-2010, 03:47 PM
My friend's a Cannondale dealer, and I've had the opportunity to take one out for a spin. They are solid, but they don't ride particularly well, and they are HEAVY.

Acotts
01-27-2010, 08:00 AM
My friend's a Cannondale dealer, and I've had the opportunity to take one out for a spin. They are solid, but they don't ride particularly well, and they are HEAVY.

They are great for poppa-wheelies. But I would not take them off a jump.
And they are also a little too flashy to take to the bars.

Im heading off to grad school in the fall. I am thinking of getting a SE Big Ripper as my bar/lock-outside-class bike.

for the price of a couple hooigans, you could get yourself a Big Ripper and get your kids normal Rippers. Then you will be the "Raddest" posse on the block.

itsalldark
01-27-2010, 08:37 PM
I have one---very, very fun to ride. Short wheelbase and very quick!! Handles like a sportscar.

eddief
01-27-2010, 09:11 PM
now this is one we should each have.

Dahon on top.

Hooligan down below.

Acotts
01-28-2010, 09:47 AM
I have one---very, very fun to ride. Short wheelbase and very quick!! Handles like a sportscar.

Would you take it off a jump? I found it so twitchy and fun, but I also found it a bit unstable.

Probably the easiest poppa wheelie bike I have ever ridden.