PDA

View Full Version : V-brake with ALL stainless hardware?

Jesper
01-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Hello

Here in Denmark there's a lot of salt on the roads in the winter, so bike parts made of chromed or blackened steel WILL rust. I'm looking for a v-brake for my Cross-Check commuter where ALL steel parts are stainless - does such a thing exist?

Avid claims their V-brakes have stainless hardware, but I wonder if that includes the spring and link arm?

Jesper

Peter P.
01-24-2010, 04:34 PM
I have Avid V-brakes that are well over 10 years old. They're the old, Single Digit 20. No rust on the hardware or the springs. I did not baby them. The only thing that looks skanky are the ball pivot washers for the brake shoes and the inside of the mounting nut for the shoe. The outside if fine.

Looking at the spec sheets, you should be able to use the Single Digit 5 or 7 and have no problems.

Jesper
01-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Are the roads salted where you live? There's a big difference between normal wet weather and salted roads. I know from experience that only stainless steel will hold up here...

Brian Smith
01-24-2010, 10:51 PM
Are the roads salted where you live? There's a big difference between normal wet weather and salted roads. I know from experience that only stainless steel will hold up here...

Here, we salt the roads at a high level and expense, and I usually try to ride a bike through the winter. My experience is that non-stainless steel component parts last a couple of years, but look terrible after one winter season. I can understand the corrosion resistance that you need. Perhaps you should try the Paul Component brakes. I'm not completely positive that there is no part that is not made from stainless, but at least that is one brake provider who would not save any money by not using stainless.

Jesper
01-25-2010, 05:17 AM
Thank for the suggestion, but that would almost double the value of the bike :p . I'm hoping to find a relatively cheap solution.

I've written to Avid, so they should be able to settle the question about their brakes.

Peter P.
01-25-2010, 05:51 AM

Yes; all the local roads are salted. We get a reasonable amount of snow in the winter.

xjoex
01-25-2010, 07:14 AM
There is a local shop "Dirty Harry's" http://dirtyharrys.net/index.cfm that has a bunch of Ti kits for late 90s XTR V brakes in stock.

They have the original $19 price tag on them, I bet they would sell them even cheaper! Finally get them out of the show room.

-Joe

zap
01-25-2010, 10:23 AM
Avid Ultimates have ss hardware but the spring is regular steel. Regular avid v brakes use steel bolts & linkage which will rust.

I made some ti springs for one set. It takes some work to get the return rate right since ti is not as stiff as steel.

So-if you can find Avid Ultimate Black Ops brakes and make some ti springs, you are all set.

Brian Smith
01-25-2010, 06:25 PM
Thank for the suggestion, but that would almost double the value of the bike :p . I'm hoping to find a relatively cheap solution.

I've written to Avid, so they should be able to settle the question about their brakes.

Well, let us know their answer, but I'm not holding my breath.
If cost is also a big consideration, then why not simply consider brakes so cheap that when the pads are worn, you buy a new set instead of replacing the pads? $15-$20 yearly for a brake is not too bad. I would suggest the most expensive Shimano brake that you can tolerate replacing after one year of use, and replace them in spring. If looking at the corrosion is a problem (it can be for me) then a more expensive brake is required.

Doubling the value of the bike?
A coworker recently said, after hearing that a ski helmet rental was $10 and change, that his head was not worth that much.
I would say that if the bike is not worth a pair of Paul brakes, then maybe you either have to live with corrosion at that value point, or move to a higher value point.