PDA

View Full Version : seat post vs HSG

dripfaucet
01-22-2010, 11:54 PM
i got a new custom HSG and my Deda SuperZero seat post takes a tremendous amount of twisting and pressure to get it into the bike frame.
a teammate of mine ordered an HSG (which was delivered and labeled MeiVici via the decals?) got the same seat post and it slip right into position.

I find this extremely irritating on my bike. anyone else have this problem. Is there anything that can be done? at least i don't have to worry about the seat post slipping. i am worried about using the saddle with carbon rails as a torsion device as i pry the saddle into place.

thoughts?

Brad

fierte_poser
01-23-2010, 01:04 AM
Try his seatpost in your frame.

Seatposts are mass produced and are not always of a consistent diameter and roundness. You might have a bad example.

Kent

djg
01-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Try his seatpost in your frame.

Seatposts are mass produced and are not always of a consistent diameter and roundness. You might have a bad example.

Kent

Yep. Buy a seatpost from a real quality manufacturer and . . . well, there's still no assurance of consistent diameter.

If the OP tries a few seatposts, he'll find one that works.

Smiley
01-23-2010, 09:16 AM
FWIW Serotta uses a Thomson post as its default size, most posts are not consistant in diameter, try a Thomsom post and I'll bet she slips right in. Smiley

gemship
01-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Hey if you don't want to spend the money on another seat post what you may want to try is to take some course sandpaper... I don't know maybe 220 grit but try something a bit finer first and simply wrap it around the post and sand try turning it as your grabbing the post making a fist. This will ruin the finish of your post so only do this where it goes into the seat tube. Also take some tape and try wrapping it around the post slightly below where it meets the frame at whatever point you have it set at, this will help prevent chaffing the finish so this mod won't be visible. Your only doing this to bring down the diameter ever so slightly so it will slide in and out easier, you not looking to actually turn down the diameter to the point of being undersize and that may take a lot of literally blind effort anyway. Makes sense? Since you said you can already fit it in with force and get it out I'm betting with some elbow grease and a repeating of this process and fitting it you may slowly. So just sand a little and try sliding it in and if there's no improvement simply repeat until it slides easy.