PDA

View Full Version : OT: Favre Fan's where is the LOVE

Smiley
01-22-2010, 06:32 PM
I want Brett to "DO IT" for all the old geezers out there :) Win another one and cement himself as the very best QB in modern day history.

Erik.Lazdins
01-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Ditto from me, since Barry Sanders retired - Brett's been the man for me to root for in football (american style football that is!)

May the Vikings squish the Saints on Sunday!

Louis
01-22-2010, 06:41 PM
the very best QB in modern day history.

No way !!!!!

I'm hardly a football expert, and don't know many of the stats, but I have to believe that plenty of other guys (Montana comes to mind, along with a handful others) can easily top him. He's great, but with some significant flaws.

dd74
01-22-2010, 06:41 PM
If Brett does it, do you think Kenny Stabler will come back? :D

BumbleBeeDave
01-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Brett who? . . .

BBD

Smiley
01-22-2010, 07:17 PM
No way !!!!!

I'm hardly a football expert, and don't know many of the stats, but I have to believe that plenty of other guys (Montana comes to mind, along with a handful others) can easily top him. He's great, but with some significant flaws.

Check your facts Louis , Montana never won an MVP award :)

thwart
01-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks as I always like Madden call him Favre :)

Smiley

Len J
01-22-2010, 07:51 PM

Favre is only about one thing.....Favre.

Wishing for anything else but his team to win.

IMO

Len

ahumblecycler
01-22-2010, 07:53 PM
I would hardly call a QB who has thrown more interceptions than any other QB as the greatest of this time. As for the MVP, how many does P. Manning have already ... :rolleyes:

Regardless of his QB talents or what jersey he is wearing, I do not like his character and therefore I do not like him

thwart
01-22-2010, 08:19 PM
As my post above was hijacked somehow by Smiley... those damn Viking fans will stop at nothing... :rolleyes: so I'll re-post:

A popular T shirt nowadays in Packerland reads: We'll never forget you, Brent!

When, of course, his given name is Brett...

Interesting mix here in WI---a lot of folks want him to fall on his face, and yet it appears almost as many are cheering for him big-time.

Gotta say that, along with Len above, I'm in the first camp. It's all about Brent... I mean, Brett.

tylercheung
01-22-2010, 08:35 PM
didn't he change his name to Brett Favre Brett Favre Brett Favre?

dd74
01-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Character-wise, what's the difference between Brett Favre and Lance Armstrong?

ahumblecycler
01-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Character-wise, what's the difference between Brett Favre and Lance Armstrong?

Hold on, let's stay on topic about Favre who may get mad if he has to share time with some cyclist ... is that even a real sport.

Seriously, I am sure there are other threads to debate LA's character.

rwsaunders
01-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Brett Favre is my favorite QB....right after Terry Bradshaw.

onekgguy
01-22-2010, 10:06 PM
I think the point of the OP was hoping that an over-the-hill guy could duke it out with those much younger in not just a regular season game but deep into the playoffs and come out on top. I'm from Minnesota but don't follow football, however, I'm rooting for the guy.

Kevin g

bzbvh5
01-22-2010, 10:29 PM
I'm kind of hoping the Jets get to play the Viking in the Superbowl. I'd root for the Jets to beat retirement boy after he decided that team wasn't good enough to win the Big Game.

I'm not a Jet fan, but JETS JETS JETS.

r_mutt
01-23-2010, 06:29 AM
why is it that his name is spelled F-a-v-r-e, but everyone pronounces his name as if it were spelled F-a-r-v-e? i never understood that.

dancinkozmo
01-23-2010, 06:47 AM

didnt he win like, 3 or 4 superbowls ?
one guy is a team player and one is out for himself.

KeithS
01-23-2010, 07:47 AM
He has been a remarkable leader on this team. He has really made the Vikings fun to watch. I don't really think we'd be in the same situation with Tarvares Jackson at the helm regardless of his talent. It's about leadership. Favre has made an previously unremarkable coach look like a genius, a backfield that includes Adrian Peterson and Sidney Rice doesn't hurt either.

Favre is not the first QB accused of being inwardly focused. Fran Tarkenton comes to mind, there may even be others :rolleyes: . Favre may be a mercenary but he's my mercenary. Maybe it doesn't bother me because some of my ancestors were Prussian.

I heard a sports guy on the radio talking about the Vikings of my youth, the combination of Jim Marshall, Carl Eller and Allan Page started every game for something staggering like 12 years. Eller broke the streak by not starting because of a broken foot, but he came in the second quarter and finished the game. Ahh the good old days..

Go Brent!

Smiley
01-23-2010, 01:30 PM
He has been a remarkable leader on this team. He has really made the Vikings fun to watch. I don't really think we'd be in the same situation with Tarvares Jackson at the helm regardless of his talent. It's about leadership. Favre has made an previously unremarkable coach look like a genius, a backfield that includes Adrian Peterson and Sidney Rice doesn't hurt either.

Favre is not the first QB accused of being inwardly focused. Fran Tarkenton comes to mind, there may even be others :rolleyes: . Favre may be a mercenary but he's my mercenary. Maybe it doesn't bother me because some of my ancestors were Prussian.

I heard a sports guy on the radio talking about the Vikings of my youth, the combination of Jim Marshall, Carl Eller and Allan Page started every game for something staggering like 12 years. Eller broke the streak by not starting because of a broken foot, but he came in the second quarter and finished the game. Ahh the good old days..

Go Brent!
The Fab PURPLE PEOPLE EATERS :)

peanutgallery
01-23-2010, 04:23 PM
The wheels always seem to come off at the end of the season, breaking hearts and dreams. At that age I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. Irony would be if the Vikes have to play the Jets...and lose

thwart
01-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Go Brent! I love it. :D

rugbysecondrow
01-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Favre is a douchebag and a liar

Childress has no integrity

The Williams' should have been suspended for doping (thanks MN based Federal Judge)

They are a bunch of pansies who play indoors (no respect for that)

The team has bad karma and deserves to lose.

I am a Bears fan, for what its worth.

By the way, do retired players get tested for performance enhancing drugs? Just asking.

MarleyMon
01-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Favre is juiced to the gills to even walk.

dancinkozmo
01-24-2010, 04:18 AM
Favre is juiced to the gills to even walk.

isnt 99.99% of the nfl ?
(the sole exception being san diego's place kicker)

indyrider
01-24-2010, 05:06 AM
Favre is a douchebag and a liar

They are a bunch of pansies who play indoors (no respect for that)

The team has bad karma and deserves to lose.

I am a Bears fan, for what its worth.

I can tell!

rugbysecondrow
01-24-2010, 07:28 AM
I can tell!

I would be rooting for Indy today except I think it would be sweet justice for Indy to loose to the team they laid down to in the regular season. I thought that was a BS move, so karma may deal them a blow today.

Ray
01-24-2010, 07:57 AM
Favre has been a damn good quarterback and an endlessly entertaining one, but with too much of a downside to ever be considered one of the all time greats. I used to root for him and dug him even thought I was NEVER a Packer fan (hey, I was a little kid in Baltimore in the heydey of the Colts-Packers rivalry - whaddayouwant?) just because he was fun to watch and obviously had a blast playing the game. But his last couple of years of will he, won't he, YES he will, NO he won't, YES he did, have worn me out on the guy. Serious degree of narcissistic behavior. But I don't hate the Vikes and there's something about the Saints that sticks in my craw, so I gotta pull for the Vikes anyway.

I'm definitely pulling for the Colts. I'll never get over them hauling off to Indy in the middle of the night, but they've never changed their unis at all and they still look the same as those teams I went to bed dreaming of as a little kid. So they still stir something primal in my inner sports fan. And I'll forever hate the Jets for winning that '68 Super Bowl - that was supposed to be the best day of my young life and they ruined it for me. And Peyton Manning is, IMHO, the greatest quarterback of this era, leaving the likes of Favre and even Brady in the dust. Brady is great but plays in a system that makes him look better than he is (same was true of Montana to some degree I think). Manning has Elway like skills but with brains on top of it. Right up there with Johnny Unitas and Namath in terms of both knowing HOW to run a team and actually getting it done on the field. Favre, at his best, didn't compare.

-Ray

djg
01-24-2010, 08:29 AM
As my post above was hijacked somehow by Smiley... those damn Viking fans will stop at nothing... :rolleyes: so I'll re-post:

A popular T shirt nowadays in Packerland reads: We'll never forget you, Brent!

When, of course, his given name is Brett...

Interesting mix here in WI---a lot of folks want him to fall on his face, and yet it appears almost as many are cheering for him big-time.

Gotta say that, along with Len above, I'm in the first camp. It's all about Brent... I mean, Brett.

I dunno, but my favorite BF performance was in There's Something About Mary (where Stiller did a fine job with his name).

Len J
01-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Favre has been a damn good quarterback and an endlessly entertaining one, but with too much of a downside to ever be considered one of the all time greats. I used to root for him and dug him even thought I was NEVER a Packer fan (hey, I was a little kid in Baltimore in the heydey of the Colts-Packers rivalry - whaddayouwant?) just because he was fun to watch and obviously had a blast playing the game. But his last couple of years of will he, won't he, YES he will, NO he won't, YES he did, have worn me out on the guy. Serious degree of narcissistic behavior. But I don't hate the Vikes and there's something about the Saints that sticks in my craw, so I gotta pull for the Vikes anyway.

I'm definitely pulling for the Colts. I'll never get over them hauling off to Indy in the middle of the night, but they've never changed their unis at all and they still look the same as those teams I went to bed dreaming of as a little kid. So they still stir something primal in my inner sports fan. And I'll forever hate the Jets for winning that '68 Super Bowl - that was supposed to be the best day of my young life and they ruined it for me. And Peyton Manning is, IMHO, the greatest quarterback of this era, leaving the likes of Favre and even Brady in the dust. Brady is great but plays in a system that makes him look better than he is (same was true of Montana to some degree I think). Manning has Elway like skills but with brains on top of it. Right up there with Johnny Unitas and Namath in terms of both knowing HOW to run a team and actually getting it done on the field. Favre, at his best, didn't compare.

-Ray

If you just compare the numbers, Manning is, at this point in his career, much better than Brett was at the same point. More TD's, Higher completion %, fewer interceptions, higher QB rating, more wins, less losses........The only thing you can say for Brett is that he's lasted a long time (Maybe we should have a Hall of Longevity). (Hell, Favre's career QB rating is worse than Donavan McNabb at below 87)

Brett may be more entertaining...because he's always on the edge.....but if you are starting a team and you have the choice between the 2 at any point in the first 12 years of their career......it's a no brainer choice....and it isn't Brett.

Add in his propensity to destroy locker rooms & his Me first mentality........and well, it's obvious.

There is a joke going around Minneapolis this week that goes something like this: "Why is Childress looking forward to the noise in the superdome this weekend?....answer; Because maybe Brett will actually be forced to stick to the game plan since no one will be able to hear his audibles."

It would not surprise me at all if it eventually comes out that that Late TD against the CowGirls last week was a Brett Audible.....leaving his coach to take the crap in the press confrence. Typical Brett.

IMO.....Go Saints.

len

rugbysecondrow
01-24-2010, 09:20 PM
limp away, limp away, limp away.
:D

Len J
01-24-2010, 09:24 PM
limp away, limp away, limp away.
:D

Can you imagine ending your career on that stupid throw? What a boneheaded play. He runs it and they are in the SB.

At the start of that drive, I told my wife either Favre is going to win this game with an unbelievable TD pass or he is going to throw a stupid INT.

Len

rugbysecondrow
01-24-2010, 09:31 PM
Can you imagine ending your career on that stupid throw? What a boneheaded play. He runs it and they are in the SB.

At the start of that drive, I told my wife either Favre is going to win this game with an unbelievable TD pass or he is going to throw a stupid INT.

Len

Vintage Brett Favre. :beer:

tkbike
01-24-2010, 09:32 PM
Now we will all get to go through the will I or will I not saga once again :butt:

Len J
01-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Now we will all get to go through the will I or will I not saga once again :butt:

"He is who we thought he was."

Len

cloudguy
01-24-2010, 10:35 PM
die by the Favre.

dd74
01-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Yeah, but I bet the Vikings won't go through it. :crap:

dziehr
01-25-2010, 12:46 AM
As a born-and-raised Wisconsinite, Packer fan, and Favre fan, I just can't take any more of this. For any of you who think coverage of the Favre saga has been gratuitous in your neck of the woods, just imagine how it is here. I love watching him play, but seeing the Saints try to dismember him tonight was unbearable.

rwsaunders
01-25-2010, 12:58 AM
The man does generate conversation. Rumor has it, the Brown's are talking to him....

dd74
01-25-2010, 01:31 AM
So he's turning into the official whore of the NFL? Good gawd... :rolleyes:

gemship
01-25-2010, 07:52 AM
Did anybody notice how Favre still had his helmet on after the loss? Everybody is celebrating or giving their congrats being sportsman like. I don't know... but it seems to me he was a bit a of a sore loser.

ti_boi
01-25-2010, 08:06 AM
Did anybody notice how Favre still had his helmet on after the loss? Everybody is celebrating or giving their congrats being sportsman like. I don't know... but it seems to me he was a bit a of a sore loser.

I agree about the "sore" part. They really hammered him. Sad.

fiamme red
01-25-2010, 09:00 AM
I was rooting for Favre to pull off the win. But at the end of regulation, on 3rd-and-15, I just knew that he'd throw down the middle and get picked off.

ad11
01-25-2010, 09:20 AM

Montana won MVP in 1989 & 1990. Also Super Bowl MVP in 1981, 1984, & 1989.

William
01-25-2010, 09:24 AM
Montana won MVP in 1989 & 1990. Also Super Bowl MVP in 1981, 1984, & 1989.

~And~ he had a town in Montana named after him....

http://home.comcast.net/~oscar.voss/joe-montana-sign.jpg

William :)