PDA

View Full Version : Rivendell's Roadie

rwsaunders
01-21-2010, 10:51 PM
If I missed this in another post, my apologies in advance. Rivendell teams with Waterford on a new steel road frame/fork. It looks to be a bit of a club racer...road geo, lighter weight, fenders et al.

http://www.rivbike.com/products/show/roadeo/50-618

scrooge
01-21-2010, 11:29 PM
Love the concept, not the price. If I'm in that neighborhood, there are other things I'd look at (Hampsten for one). (But then again, lugs are cool...)
Of course, they don't make 'em big enough for me, so it's not really an option anyway.

billrick
01-22-2010, 01:18 AM
Agreed. There are a lot of bikes I'd be looking at in that price range, other than the Road-ee-yo.

And I've said it before, but I'm sick of the cute names. Rivendell used to be about simplicity, level top tubes, and three basic lugged frames: the Rivendell Road, Allrounder, and Long-Low. Now there are 14 different variations of the same "country bike," all named after smurfs or animals or obscure names from the Walnut Creek phone book. Makes me nuts.

:confused:

Ray
01-22-2010, 05:42 AM
Agreed. There are a lot of bikes I'd be looking at in that price range, other than the Road-ee-yo.

And I've said it before, but I'm sick of the cute names. Rivendell used to be about simplicity, level top tubes, and three basic lugged frames: the Rivendell Road, Allrounder, and Long-Low. Now there are 14 different variations of the same "country bike," all named after smurfs or animals or obscure names from the Walnut Creek phone book. Makes me nuts.

There are more important things to be nuts about these days! :cool:

I like the Rodeo because its the first bike in a while that's moved AWAY from the "country bike" theme and back toward a pure roadie. Not too different from the Riv road standard I bought back in '97 that was kind of like a slightly more versatile RB-1. I almost certainly won't buy one, having two dedicated custom road bikes already, but I like it and I haven't been all that crazy about most of the bikes Riv has come out with for a while for the reason you noted. I hope they sell a lot of 'em.

-Ray

93legendti
01-22-2010, 06:14 AM
Looks cool. $2,000 for an American lugged frameset is a pretty good price.

buck-50
01-22-2010, 06:32 AM
Looks cool. $2,000 for an American lugged frameset is a pretty good price.
Except that you could do custom for less. And really, really nice custom for just a couple hundred more.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea. I think it's a brilliantly designed bike (though I'm just going by specs- haven't actually ridden one) but 2k for non custom is just crazy to me.

sg8357
01-22-2010, 07:29 AM
I love the idea. I think it's a brilliantly designed bike (though I'm just going by specs- haven't actually ridden one) but 2k for non custom is just crazy to me.

Surf over to Competitive Cyclist, see how many frames are below $2k.

topher
01-22-2010, 07:33 AM
competitive cyclist doesn't sell steel...

and if you want lugged steel, the BEST deal going is Bob Jackson - you can get their off the peg 853 reynolds frames shipped to the US for under $700.

Here's my World Tour - they also have road models.

pjmsj21
01-22-2010, 07:46 AM
For $150 more you can go directly to the source (Waterford) and get full custom geometry, and an infinite array of colors, in an RS-22 which seems like a much better deal.

oldpotatoe
01-22-2010, 07:53 AM
If I missed this in another post, my apologies in advance. Rivendell teams with Waterford on a new steel road frame/fork. It looks to be a bit of a club racer...road geo, lighter weight, fenders et al.

http://www.rivbike.com/products/show/roadeo/50-618

Or just get a Waterford...all of which are custom.

http://waterfordbikes.com/now/models.php?Model=658

buck-50
01-22-2010, 08:38 AM
Surf over to Competitive Cyclist, see how many frames are below $2k.
No doubt. I wouldn't buy any of those, either... :)

but, as others have pointed out, what is the point of paying 2k for a production waterford frame with fancy decals when for just another $200 bucks or so you could get full custom.

I love Rivendell and I think they have some great ideas. I just think that sometimes their prices are crazy.

fiamme red
01-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Some of Grant's frame ideas are just weird. How many people will buy a mountain bike with a twin top tube?

Even when Grant actually has a good idea for a frame (like the Roadeo), he has to give it such a goofy name that people would be ashamed to be seen on one. Hunqapillar (http://www.rivbike.com/blogs/news_post/187), anyone? :rolleyes:

The name "Roadeo" calls to mind the image of a bicycle rodeo:

http://www.wtsc.wa.gov/programs/taskforce/Taskforces/programs/taskforces/lewis/lewis_bike_rodeo.jpg

oldpotatoe
01-22-2010, 09:07 AM
No doubt. I wouldn't buy any of those, either... :)

but, as others have pointed out, what is the point of paying 2k for a production waterford frame with fancy decals when for just another $200 bucks or so you could get full custom.

I love Rivendell and I think they have some great ideas. I just think that sometimes their prices are crazy.

R-22 series IS custom and $1800. No upcharge for Waterford and custom. $1400 for the 14 series, $1800 for the -22 series, $2000 for the -33 series...all are custom.

Ken Robb
01-22-2010, 09:18 AM

Makes me nuts.

So that's what did it! :)

Ken Robb
01-22-2010, 09:18 AM
R-22 series IS custom and $1800. No upcharge for Waterford and custom. $1400 for the 14 series, $1800 for the -22 series, $2000 for the -33 series...all are custom.
I think forks cost extra though.

khjr
01-22-2010, 09:54 AM
And I've said it before, but I'm sick of the cute names [...] all named after smurfs or animals or obscure names from the Walnut Creek phone book

+1 on that. I have to admit that I'm even a little put off by the naming of my Rambouillet (after a breed of sheep). For me, the aesthetic value of the metal head badge is negated by the logo of a big fluffy sheep, rearing back on its hind legs with its tongue fluttering. Obviously, I’m not too sheepish (I know…) to ride one but, considering what I paid for it, it would have been nice to have the true art that Grant claims to aspire to, rather than one marred by cutesiness. Its definitely hard to come up with a new name that isn't already in use but, after all, it’s an expensive product and one the attributes is cache.

Kevan
01-22-2010, 10:01 AM
is nicely done.

spacemen3
01-22-2010, 10:22 AM
I don't think $2K is unreasonable for a bike with some character. It looks like GP pored a lot of time and consideration into the design of the lugs. It's certainly better value for money than the majority of obscenely priced, F1-wannabe carbon race rigs out there. ;)

http://www.rivbike.com/images/products/full/0000/3166/SITEFRONFENDCLEAR.jpg

Ray
01-22-2010, 10:31 AM
It looks like GP pored a lot of time and consideration into the design of the lugs. It's certainly better value for money than the majority of obscenely priced, F1-wannabe carbon race rigs out there. ;)

http://www.rivbike.com/images/products/full/0000/3166/SITEFRONFENDCLEAR.jpg
He did, but they're not unique to this bike. That's basically Rivendell's stock lug design. I'm sure it was modified a bit for this model, and the paint has all of the fancy touches, but its not like its a completely new and purpose built set of lugs. At least I don't think. But I, too, really dig his lug designs. Fancy, but not TOOOO fancy. Attractive, but not ornate.

-Ray