PDA

View Full Version : winter ride

thwart
01-20-2010, 10:56 PM
OK, bear with me here. Was able to get out 3 of the last 6 days (!) for a ride. Not likely again in the near future as ice and snow are forecast. And truly enjoyable mid-winter road rides in the Northland are damn hard to come by...

These were taken yesterday. Ambient temp 32 degrees, mild NE breeze. Plenty of salt and sand on the roads but fairly dry. After a little over 30 miles the fingertips and toes were numb, so that ended the fun.

Steve in SLO
01-20-2010, 11:02 PM
Looks like you have some beautiful countryside there. Sounds like you have rare weather where you are. So do we in California...heavy rains/winds and tornadoes.

Peter B
01-21-2010, 12:24 AM
The sun is shining. The roads are plowed and dry. And there's rollers! GET OUT AND RIDE!!!!!!

Here in Norcal I am weak after a week of HEAVY rains and STRONG winds. Jealousy prevails towards those fortunate to experience better conditions. For the sake of the house-bound PLEASE go ride!!!!!!!! :banana:

Kines
01-21-2010, 06:31 AM
wow - there's less ice in that estuary than we have in ours here in NC!

I rode a couple of weeks ago during that record cold spell with two others, 84 miles total, 28 degrees at the start and 26 at the end, with 15-20mph winds the whole time. It was as challenging as any ride I can remember, even though it was fairly flat!

No way I could have (or would have) done it alone....

KN

LesMiner
01-21-2010, 06:48 AM
Looks the same here in Minnesota maybe a little more snow. I got out Saturday high 35 and Sunday high 33. First time out since the first week of December. No sand on the roads here. The road crews have been using salt only, no sand mix. They say it is cheaper because of the expense to clean up the sand in the Spring as well as filling up storm sewers with sand from the run off. Weekend forecast is freezing rain and snow. The storm now in California is coming here. Roads here are covered with freezing rain the came over night. Weekends are the only opportunity to ride outside. I leave for work in the dark and return home in the dark. But days are getting longer and another chance to get out will come soon.

Johny
01-21-2010, 08:09 AM
My daily commute (pix taken a week ago): everyday begins with a good ride. :)