PDA

View Full Version : Father (and Son)

giverdada
01-20-2010, 05:06 PM
so my dad is the one i have to credit for my love of bicycles. it started with my own red bmx as a child of the 80s in virginia, progressed through to the early mountain bikes of the 90s, and took me from wheelbuilding to full overhaul assembly of the entire machine in high school. i've been hooked ever since.

the man is looking to do a midlife ride toward the end of this summer, and although i haven't been invited (he doesn't want to burden me with the proposed cost of credit card touring), i'm devoted to making myself both present and maybe even useful. i figured i'd start here.

i just thought i'd ask for some general routes that some of you may have in the general direction of where my dad and i are planning to ride. when we drive this trip, we take route 81 from watertown, ny to almost washington, d.c. as we ride the trip, i think we're going to take a similar/parallel-ish route, but obviously stay off of the major roadways. i've always wanted to do those crazy-long climbs in pennsylvania, and this looks like the way to go.

anyway, we're heading from essentially watertown, ny to washington, d.c. at the pace of a century a day, aiming for 7 days and packing very very light. if you have a portion of this route that you'd like to share, or places to visit/stay, i'm all ears. thanks a lot. happy riding (it's currently snowing in toronto).

rwsaunders
01-20-2010, 08:05 PM
State College is the exact center of Pennsylvania. Perhaps some of the Rapha ride might be interesting as you cut through the state.

http://www.rapha.cc/state-college-pa

http://www.rapha.cc/summer-2009-continental-calling

johnnymossville
01-20-2010, 08:25 PM
I grew up in PA and have ridden many of the roads between Oneida Lake in NY and Washington DC, both on Bicycle and by Motorcycle. Head south to Ithaca and make your way towards Mansfield, PA then West on Route 6. Hit the PA Grand Canyon just west of Mansfield. Wellsboro is a pretty town to stay the night in.

One of the nicest sections of road I've ridden anywhere is Route 872 South of Coudersport, PA to Route 120S to Lock Haven, PA. Great Roads and Scenery.

If you are going in August and in the rare chance you like baseball you might want to stop in nearby Williamsport, PA and catch a Little League World Series game. It's baseball at it's purist, IMO.

From there south the further you stay towards the center of the State the prettier it is. (to me anyway) Much of that area is farmland and Mennonite country. You'll pass plenty of Horse and Buggies.

Just suggestions really. I'm sure you'll have fun. I've done long rides. (1000mile plus) with my Dad and they were some of the best times of my life.

John

giverdada
01-20-2010, 08:27 PM
thanks a lot, guys. i am looking forward to this the more i hear and think about it! keep the hits coming!