PDA

View Full Version : OT: Collarbone fracture not healing

Don49
01-20-2010, 01:00 PM
So back in mid-June I crashed and broke my right collarbone. In October I was done with PT and cleared to resume normal activities, although an x-ray showed a distinct break in the bone. Supplemental calcium was recommended. There was no pain, full range of motion, and I went back to weightlifting, riding, climbing with no issues.

Yesterday I got a follow up x-ray which still showed "non-union" of the break and the doctor is suggesting the possibility of surgery to repair with a bone graft from the hip. But first she wants restricted movement of the arm and six weeks of "bone stimulator" therapy.

Given that the shoulder feels fine and is stronger (weightlifting) than before, I'm wondering why I should even consider surgery. Anyone else have any experience with non-union clavical fractures? And yes, I am following up with the doctor but an appointment is three weeks away.

Thanks for listening anyway!

Gothard
01-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Long-term consequences of the diminished stability are your concerns here.
Shoulder osteoarthritis is a bad thing in later years. I see that happen from time to time.
If you intend to have physical activity for many years to come, I would strongly recommend seeing 2 or 3 ortho surgeons and get opinions on surgery. losing a few months now is nothing compared to years of shoulder pain down the road.