PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for disc fork!!

climbgdh
01-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Opps - double post.

climbgdh
01-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Hey..... my other post got deleted!!

Anyone have recommendations for a disc fork? I recently picked up a Lemond Poprad disc but the Bontrager fork is crappy. It flexes and shudders like crazy and I'd like to replace with something better. I had a Salsa Las Cruces disc before the Poprad and the fork was super solid but I have no idea what kind it was other than that it was carbon. Thanks in advance.

MIN
01-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Try aftermarket rotors with less surface area (e.g. alligator serrated 160mm rotors) or a harder brake pad compound to reduce brake friction. It will still stop fine and mitigate the fore-aft flex you mention.

The issue you describe is similar to lightweight cross-forks shuddering with cantis. The solution is usually toeing-in the pads (reducing friction) and/or fork mounted cable hanger. Both approaches are attempting to elimination the feedback loop of excessive friction-flex-excess friction-flex...

Marcusaurelius
01-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Vicious cycles makes a good steel disc fork. Kona also has a steel disc fork but the the axle to crown measurement is not a perfect match (7mm difference). Of course a local framebuilder could make you one.

I prefer a steel fork to a carbon one so I don't pay much attention to carbon ones except I did look at the woundup team x cross disc fork.

oldpotatoe
01-21-2010, 08:41 AM
Hey..... my other post got deleted!!

Anyone have recommendations for a disc fork? I recently picked up a Lemond Poprad disc but the Bontrager fork is crappy. It flexes and shudders like crazy and I'd like to replace with something better. I had a Salsa Las Cruces disc before the Poprad and the fork was super solid but I have no idea what kind it was other than that it was carbon. Thanks in advance.

Have Waterford make you one. About $400, steel, of course.

tuscanyswe
01-21-2010, 09:20 AM
Wound up disc only fork perhaps?

Think we had some for sale at the shop (like 350 or similar) but i belive they are gone.

xjoex
01-21-2010, 09:39 AM
I have a wound up disc fork on my cx bike, works like a champ.

-Joe

climbgdh
01-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Thanks guys. I like the look of that Vicious cycles fork. I'm gonna look for one of those I think.