PDA

View Full Version : Fierte Carbon Hub Size?

MadeinGermany
01-20-2010, 10:57 AM
My used Fierte Carbon frame should arrive any day now, compliments of my brother in Germany.

I'm considering to have a set of wheels build with TUNE hubs, but noticed that the rear hub (Mag 180) comes in two different width. 130mm or 135mm.

Would any forum member be able to let me know what the correct size for my new frame would be? I will be using Campa 11 parts, if this makes a difference.

Would a wheelbuilder mind if I supply the hubs ?

dave thompson
01-20-2010, 11:00 AM
100MM front hub and 130MM rear hub. 135MM hubs are generally used on mountain bikes.

mandasol
01-20-2010, 11:22 AM
I'd be a bit cautious of going with Tune hubs especially if you want to supply your own hubs to a builder. The Mag 180 in particular seems to suffer from problems, at least in the forums that I've kept up with. If you supply your own hubs to a wheel builder and if you had a problem hub, then you would be the one responsible for having the wheel taken apart again or having to pay for shipping the whole wheel to get just the hub serviced (if you can find a place to service it correctly). If you're going to have your brother in Germany source it and send it to you, that just multiplies the potential headaches. If you're stuck on Tune then Fairwheel seems to have figured out and corrected most of the problems with the Mag 180 on the the hubs they sell, but I don't speak from experience that's just what a wheel builder I use has told me.

If you want a nice hand built wheel set it may be wiser to go with a reputable builder and let them know what your riding style and goals are and let them recommend a complete build.

MadeinGermany
01-20-2010, 11:43 AM
I appreciate your comments, which are very valid. I have not yet made up my mind as to what hubs to use. The thought of combining a great American product with some German parts has led me to consider Tune hubs.

Second on my list would be DT Swiss 240s hubs. Not German made, but close enough. Maybe I settle for a Tune headset instead. Gotta have some German bits and pieces. Any thoughts on this choice?

dave thompson
01-20-2010, 12:02 PM
If you're looking to outfit your bike with some German goodies, Tune makes some nice but expensive cranks sets.

The Dollar/Euro exchange rate has swung considerable in the favor of the Euro in the last year or so and things being imported from Europe have had massive price increases.

For hubs, DT Swiss and Shimano are hard to beat.