PDA

View Full Version : Wheelsize/bike build Conundrum - Seeking Advice/ideas/help!

MMcG
01-19-2010, 05:28 PM
So as some of you might know I have a Carver 96er set up as a dual 650b mountain bike with a 145mm Manitou Nixon up front and Dual 650bs.

I also am awaiting a new frame - a 44 Bikes SnakeDriver frame that was originally designed for 29er wheels - but has good numbers to go dual 650b.

The one catch with the SnakeDriver - it was designed as either a 1x9 or single speed frame - it has no cable routing for a front derailleur and features paragon sliding rear dropouts.

So I'm wondering - do I set up the SnakeDriver as a 1x9 650b mountain bike and convert the Carver to more of a road-worthy/Gravel Grinder set up.

The SnakeDriver can be run as a dual 650b bike and will still have a 12" bb height and probably more room for rear tire clearance than the Carver. With 29" wheels the bb height on the SnakeDriver goes up to 12.75" - fine for singletrack but optimal for dirt road/pavement/gravel grinding?

Perhaps the Carver would be actually a nice road gravel grinder bike - allowing for dual 650bs and multiple front chainrings and a steeper HT angle. It is ready to take a front derailleur as is.

So I'm in a bit of a conundrum as far as which direction to go next.

Just wondering - WWYD if you were in my shoes?

Thanks in advance!

Mark