PDA

View Full Version : Kirk Ride Report

mso
01-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Ride report on my new to me Kirk. One word describes the ride...AWESOME! I purchased this beautiful frame from a fellow forumite. Being this is a custom frame I was concerned about the geometry and overall build. I emailed Dave and he answered all my questions. His customer service is top notch and he builds a beautiful frame. I wasn't sure "steel was real" until the Kirk. I'd given a CDA a try a year ago and it just didn't do it for me. The Kirk is totally different for me. It's smooth but has that "snap". I love to climb and handles the descents beautifully. I think I as last have found my favorite combo.... a Parlee Z3 and a Kirk lugged frame. But then again,that JK Special looks hot :)

Ken Robb
01-18-2010, 08:36 PM
we need details and pix of your new love.

dd74
01-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Why did the Kirk work for you and not the CDA? Are you saying the CDA wasn't smooth and didn't have snap? I'm just curious.

Thx.

c-record
01-19-2010, 03:10 PM
Yep, must have pics.

mso
01-19-2010, 04:46 PM
My husband loved his CDA but the ride didn't work for me. CDA felt "heavy". Not sure I can explain the term but it just didn't have nimble ride feel and snap that the Kirk seems to have for me. I know the tubing is different on the CDA and it was a stock bike built for I'm guessing a little heavier rider. I weigh in at a hefty 112. So I'm guessing the overall geometry and tubing selection makes the Kirk a better fit and ride for me. CDA works for some but not for all, they're beautiful bikes too.

dave thompson
01-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Welcome to the Kirk Klub! :D

roguedog
01-20-2010, 12:37 AM
Pix please!

Great to hear such good things about how this fit you. From everything I've read, Dave is one of the best not only as a craftsman but as someone who takes care of his customers.

Elefantino
01-20-2010, 05:43 AM
Welcome to the Kirk Klub! :D
I'm glad you didn't call it the Kustom Kirk Klub... ;)

Dan Le foot
01-20-2010, 09:21 AM
Pix please!

Great to hear such good things about how this fit you. From everything I've read, Dave is one of the best not only as a craftsman but as someone who takes care of his customers.

Dave sure knows what great customer service is all about, rd.
He swapped numerous emails with Michelle going over the details on the design/geometry of the bike.
The bike also had some rust in the headset area that caused some concern. After sending pics to Dave and hearing his recommendations we felt much better. At hid suggestion, we took the bike to Joe Bell for refurbrishing. Got it back from the shop in less than 2 weeks which I am sure was due to JBs realtionship with Dave.
Dave even replaced one of his brass cable adjusters that cracked.
Now remember, all this help was provided on a product we didn't even buy from Dave.
1st class guy in my book. I'll be spreading the word in San Diego.
Dan

Climb01742
01-20-2010, 09:27 AM
1st class guy in my book.

+1