PDA

View Full Version : Serotta doing contract work?

zap
01-18-2010, 11:18 AM
So...I'm cruising around the www and find mention of a ti model that Serotta will build for Gaulzetti.

Looking forward to seeing it and the carbon Gaulzetti at NAHBS

Bruce K
01-18-2010, 11:28 AM
No idea for certain but it would make good business sense, filling any excess capacity (if there is some) with contracted builds.

BK

rwsaunders
01-18-2010, 11:33 AM
So...I'm cruising around the www and find mention of a ti model that Serotta will build for Gaulzetti.

Looking forward to seeing it and the carbon Gaulzetti at NAHBS

I saw that...Crumpton too. I think that some of the aluminum Gaulzetti's that Team Embro commissioned ran F3 forks as well.

Blue Jays
01-18-2010, 11:49 AM
These will be stunners for sure!
Wonder if Serotta will be doing the paintwork on the titaniums or if that will be sent elsewhere.
Cool stuff, for sure. :beer:

timto
01-18-2010, 12:21 PM
off Serotta and contract builds would be the Schwinn Paramounts.... there were also the Serotta built 'Saratogas' but not sure if that was a sub brand owned by Serotta or just contract builds.

happycampyer
01-18-2010, 12:22 PM
I think that "contract work" is a bit pejorative in this context. What Craig is doing reminds me of the collaboration between the Hampstens and various builders, such as IF, Moots, Eriksen, CoMotion, etc. The bikes will be fantastic.

William
01-18-2010, 12:30 PM
I thought that the aluminum Gaulzetti's were HOT. I can't wait to see what the new offerings/collaborations will look like. :cool:

William

Point Grey
01-18-2010, 12:38 PM
The Saratogas' were an early version of the Fierte line.

off Serotta and contract builds would be the Schwinn Paramounts.... there were also the Serotta built 'Saratogas' but not sure if that was a sub brand owned by Serotta or just contract builds.

zap
01-18-2010, 12:45 PM
I think that "contract work" is a bit pejorative in this context.

I don't follow.

I was involved in "contract work" building electronic sub-assemblies for various applications and promoting contract sheetmetal services to small and large companies around the world. It is a common term and in no way does it diminish or belittle anyone's efforts.

happycampyer
01-18-2010, 01:14 PM
I agree that contracting out work can in fact be a positive, but often in the cycling industry the term has negative connotations. I was reacting more to the notion that Serotta is doing contract work because of excess capacity. Like you, I am very much looking forward to seeing the ti and carbon bikes that Crumpton and Serotta make for Gaulzetti.

CNY rider
01-18-2010, 01:22 PM
Bring jerk back to the Forum! :beer:

Blue Jays
01-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Jerk can easily be found across the hall!

rwsaunders
01-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Serotta made a steel frame (Fierte equivalent I assume) a few years back for an English bike retailer. I cannot recall the name.

Pete Serotta
01-18-2010, 02:01 PM
I do not know if there is or is not work going on,if there is, this would be the right time of year.

For some reason few folks think of ordering a bike for spring,,,, we all wait till spring and then wonder why we can not have it "yesterday".

This is the best time to order your frame and groupo from your local dealer..

zap
01-18-2010, 02:25 PM

I will be attending NAHBS with checkbook in hand. I can wait for the next super zapalicous frameset to be built.

Ahneida Ride
01-18-2010, 02:44 PM

Amen ... LBS LOVE to see people right now ...

and you can have a spanking new Serotta real soon ..

Coming to NAHBS ???? No better time to make a purchase ..
you will receive special attention.

JeffS
01-18-2010, 02:46 PM
I will be attending NAHBS with checkbook in hand. I can wait for the next super zapalicous frameset to be built.

Sounds like you'll be ordering for next spring, or the spring three years from now, depending on the builder :p

My new spring bike was ordered last fall. We'll see if someone at the show can make me part with some more money though.

rwsaunders
01-26-2010, 11:31 PM
It's been bugging me for days....the Glider Tupelo Ti is made by Serotta for Cyclefit in London. They used to fab a frame similar to the steel Fierte.

http://www.cyclefit.co.uk/tupelo_ti_09.html

pbjbike
01-26-2010, 11:40 PM
"Private label" is a another term used for contract work. How Merlin used to describe the deals we had with Specialized, Raleigh, other bike cos, and the artificial cow heart research group.

Ti Designs
01-27-2010, 04:12 AM
For some reason few folks think of ordering a bike for spring,,,, we all wait till spring and then wonder why we can not have it "yesterday".

They do the same thing with their fitness...