PDA

View Full Version : New saddle needed

roadie7
01-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Good Mornnig

I'd like some advice about saddles. I've been using a Terry male saddle for the last 8 years and have really liked it. The saddle is coming apart and I need a new one. I was wondering if someone could make a suggestion for a saddle.

Thanks

sg8357
01-18-2010, 08:56 AM
I believe the only answer that has been correct for the last 60 or so years is,

Brooks.

Plus you get to wear the Brooks t-shirt "My saddle weighs more than your frame"

Gilles Berthoud makes saddles now, worth a look.

dekindy
01-18-2010, 09:17 AM
If your current saddle is working fine, just replace and don't bother testing other saddles. It is unlikely you will fine anything better if your current saddle causes you no problems. I am assuming that you tried other saddles and settled on the one you have now. If you have only ridden your current saddle and made the best of it, then it would be a good idea to try other saddles.

If you have gradually changed over the years and need to find something better there are lots of places that offer free trials. Seek these out because buying saddles and selling them at a loss gets very expensive. It will take your personal experimentation and lots of adjusting on the saddles tested to find what is right for you.

Every year I seem to have the urge to try new saddles only to find that when I get hardened up my Aliante is the most comfortable of all.

If you tested Fizik's saddles, the Aliante and the Arione, you might be able to end your search there. Now there is also the Antares. LBS's have demo saddles. If you want a coutout saddle try the Selle Anatomica and the Selle SMP's. The Aliante is perfect for me and the Arione was the worst I have ever tried. Usually you are one or the other but not both and there is no in-between. I have sat on the Selle Anatomica and it seems comfortable but no extended test ride. If I can get down to Cincinnati I could try the Selle SMP.

Selle Italia has LBS test centers. Competitive Cyclist offers a test package of 10 or more saddles. Look around, there are many more places to test saddles for little to no cost.

My LBS has a saddle bin of saddles that folks have discarded and they have repurchased for a low price. Those can be demoed at little cost.

chuckred
01-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Measure the width of the back of your saddle and narrow your search to saddles that are similar...

victoryfactory
01-18-2010, 09:42 AM
As Dekindy noted above, the Aliante is great.
I was a dedicated Terry Fly user for years, once I
tried the Fizik Aliante, I never went back. In fact, I can't
even sit on the Terry any more.

VF

gasman
01-18-2010, 10:02 AM
I have a Terry Fly I'll sell very cheap and in good condition. PM me if interested.

Ray
01-18-2010, 10:21 AM
I believe the only answer that has been correct for the last 60 or so years is,

Brooks.

I disagree. I think the only answer that has been correct for the last 100 years or so (or whenever saddles were first manufactured) is:

"every ass is different".

As such, saddle advice is only as good as the similarity between the ass giving the advice (not to mention the rest of the rider, weight, position, strength, etc) and the ass seeking the advice.

I know what works for me. It took me a long time to get it right the first time and I've switched a couple of times since then as my physiology and riding changed. There are no short cuts. Even Brooks doesn't work for everyone. But they have enough different models for enough different asses, that they're as good a place to start as any.

-Ray

Dan Le foot
01-18-2010, 10:44 AM
That will be the easiest question for me all day.
If the Terry worked for you, get another.
Every rider/saddle is different. Not always easy to find one that works. So when you do, no need to reinvent the deal.
Dan

Nil Else
01-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Right... don't open the Pandora's box... many folks never happen to find that one saddle.

Trying out a bunch of new saddles in this economy can be good though if you have some access cash, as there are so many stuff that can be had for cheap these days, but bad if you are tight... the journey can be long and costly....