PDA

View Full Version : Ribblecycles.com??

VTCaraco
01-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Anybody notice the Campy group prices at Ribblecycles.com?
Is sub-$700 for Athena-11 too good to be true?

Dekonick
01-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Buyer beware -

I bought from Ribble - and had my CC info hacked.

KJMUNC
01-17-2010, 11:43 PM
True story....mine did too, but I also saved a bundle on Campy gear.

They take PayPal now, so I'm going to use them that way when I buy my next gruppo.

VTCaraco
01-17-2010, 11:52 PM
Any chance they could get access to PayPal?
That seems like it would be even worse :crap:

I'm blown away by the price difference for Campy. Even the other UK stores seem to be a good bit more.

Risk versus reward...

GuyGadois
01-18-2010, 12:49 AM
Buyer beware -

I bought from Ribble - and had my CC info hacked.

Ditto. Well, I should say that Amex canceled my card when they saw the charge and said that they have had problems with Ribble.

rydesteel
01-18-2010, 06:30 AM
Figure out the total charge, go to your bank buy a pre paid one time use CC. If they can hack a cc they can hack PP.

damcyclist
01-18-2010, 07:17 AM
Nashbar had their data base hacked into last year (about this time) -

Just saying

r_mutt
01-18-2010, 07:22 AM
Anybody notice the Campy group prices at Ribblecycles.com?
Is sub-$700 for Athena-11 too good to be true?

that was a one time event iirc- and it wasn't ribble that hacked it, it was a outside hacker getting into ribble's system.

Idris Icabod
01-18-2010, 09:16 AM
I had my CC info stolen after a purchase from Ribble, it was a little bit of a hassle but it didn't end up costing me anything, was caught quickly and wouldn't put me of buying from Ribble again.

blschaefer1
01-18-2010, 09:40 AM
FWIW, I've bought from them several times in the last year and had no issues whatsoever. Shipping is fast, prices are good.

mandasol
01-18-2010, 11:16 AM
I don't believe it was Ribble's system that was hacked it was their merchant processor. That processor also serviced many other european based online shops and many of them were hacked as well.

I had a false charge on my credit card after shopping Ribble once, but it was resolved very quickly. Since then the word is they resolved the issue with their merchant processor. I've purchased from them and other UK shops again and haven't had another problem.

I suppose it is possible for hackers to attack again, so it's a good idea to check your accounts online everyday. They tended to attempt to run the charge days or weeks after the purchase, and they start with a pre-authorization and if it's successful a day or so later they try to run an actual charge. I was able to catch the pre-authorization before any funds were charged. It also depends on how fast your credit card company updates the online information as well.