PDA

View Full Version : Baggy Cycling Shorts

veggieburger
01-17-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm a lycra guy @ heart, but all my mountain biking friends wear baggies, so I'm going to take the plunge this summer. I have never tried baggy cycling shorts - I went to my LBs the other day and the chamois I examined were pretty crude.

Anyone have any experience/recommendations? :D

false_Aest
01-17-2010, 05:33 PM
safety pins and cargo shorts are the way to go :P

hookookadoo
01-17-2010, 05:43 PM
You know if you wear baggy shorts it is against the law to complain about headwinds anymore. I personally am not sure what I would do if I couldn't grumble about headwinds on my return leg home.

OtayBW
01-17-2010, 05:48 PM
...all my mountain biking friends wear baggies, so I'm going to take the plunge this summer. Sorry, I can't think of any advice...;)

veggieburger
01-17-2010, 06:04 PM
I know, I know...believe me, I'm not happy about it.

RABikes2
01-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Hoss Technical Gear

Hoss Ponderosa Cycling Shorts - They've been in our bike shop for five years now. Good sellers, excellent reviews, and priced at $49.95. I highly recommend these shorts.

Features:
- best feature ... excellent Coolmax baseball chamois

Have you been searching for a pair of shorts that are comfortable enough for long days in the saddle yet stylish enough to wear around town? Saddle up in comfort and style with the Ponderosa. Finally, a baggy short that's as versatile as your lifestyle.

Features & Benefits
8 panel micro fiber polyester outer shell is lightweight and durable
6 panel polyester/Spandex liner with CoolMax for moisture management and comfort
CoolMax sanitized chamois with multi-level technology improves comfort by relieving pressure points
7 pockets, including 2 side cargo pockets, 2 secure zipper pockets, 2 side hip pockets and a rear cargo style pocket
Partial elastic waistband with extra secure belt and buckle closure
Rear stretch panel for comfort and flexibility

http://www.hossmtb.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1

I also recommend highly the Hoss Stallion Cycling Shorts, especially if you are a taller man. This cycling board short has a detachable chamois liner, so it's two shorts for the price of one at $59.95

The Hoss Stallion features a boarder short styled shell combined with a detachable chamois liner. The Stallion offers serious riders the comfort of a Cytech multi-layered chamois, constructed from high-density open cell foam and featuring permanent antibacterial protection. Drop the liner and let the Stallion run free, for post-ride festivities, or as an everyday shot. Flexibility is the key.

Features & Benefits
Classic boarder short, may be worn with or without included chamois liner
Lightweight and durable microsuede polyester shell for quick drying comfort
Detachable Cytech multi-layered chamois constructed from high-density open cell foam with permanent antibacterial protection
Adjustable micro-fit waist band via Velcro cinch straps
4 functional pockets with secure closures
Front zipper and drawstring closure

http://www.hossmtb.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=22

Always size UP if ordering. These shorts do run small. When trying them on, they should be snug when pulled up over the hips. Reason ... so when you are riding and bent forward, there is no huge pouch in the front. Adjust buckle or ties and velcro to fit when shorts are on. Again, we have had nothing but good reviews on these shorts.

RA

ergott
01-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Bibs are just too damn comfortable. I don't care what anyone else thinks I look like on the trail.

Lurch
01-17-2010, 06:24 PM
I'll second the recommendation for Hoss. I also like the shorts Zoic makes. They have an ok chamois in them. Honestly, if I have to ride shorts, I usually just put my regular bibs on, and throw a pair of nylon workout shorts over the top.

As the gentleman said before, prepare to suck wind, however.

ergott
01-17-2010, 06:29 PM
On the ROAD???

Guys, come on, never wear baggies. Have some common decency.

There's only one choice, bibs.

If you are tooling around town (under 10 miles) then wear whatever you want and ditch the cycling gear all together.

fourflys
01-17-2010, 06:41 PM
so, why not just wear your comfy bibs with a pair of baggy non-chamois shorts over them?

BTW- I assume you mean this for riding the trails and not the road, right?

gdw
01-17-2010, 06:42 PM
Nema or Zoic are ok. I usually just buy whatever pair has lower cargo pockets, cut out the inner short/chamois and wear regular shorts underneath. One pockets holds unopened gu packets and the other empties. The best thing about baggies is that they allow you to wear old shorts with comfortable chamois which are getting too thin for use in public.

ergott
01-17-2010, 06:43 PM
so, why not just wear your comfy bibs with a pair of baggy non-chamois shorts over them?

BTW- I assume you mean this for riding the trails and not the road, right?

On the trail...

I've done that. I just didn't see the need for an extra layer. I was never concerned about looking like a roadie on the trail.

fourflys
01-17-2010, 06:46 PM
On the trail...

I've done that. I just didn't see the need for an extra layer. I was never concerned about looking like a roadie on the trail.

I hear that, I guess I just like to somewhat blend in and I'm not going fast enough to really need lycra... Heck, my mountain bike aren't usually over 20 miles and I could do without a chamois for that length, especially on a mountain bike...

BengeBoy
01-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Personally, I like wearing baggy (usually mountain bike) shorts when I'm out for a casual ride. I especially like wearing them commuting in the summer, when I might want to stop somewhere on the way home to pick up groceries for dinner or something.

I've got a couple of different kinds, all picked up on sale at one place or another.

veggieburger
01-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Truthfully...I just feel like a doofus wearing lycra when the other 6 riders are wearing baggy shorts, and we're stopping at a coffee shop after a MTB ride.

I'm checking out Pearil Izumi Divides...look pretty good, and the chamois looks nice too.

Ken Robb
01-17-2010, 07:27 PM
think about the leg length of the baggies when trying them on. I have some that I like but I have a couple of pairs that are a length so the hems grab my knees when I pedal. That's not good.

Another option is to wear padded underpants with any shorts you like.

MassBiker
01-17-2010, 07:57 PM
I would recommend the Hoss Ponderosa's as well.
I prefer them to my Fox, PI, and Nema shorts.

:beer:

toaster
01-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Truthfully...I just feel like a doofus wearing lycra when the other 6 riders are wearing baggy shorts, and we're stopping at a coffee shop after a MTB ride.

I'm checking out Pearil Izumi Divides...look pretty good, and the chamois looks nice too.

What makes you think you're the doofus. Those 6 other guys are probably not very secure and that's why they have baggies.

BTW, 99.9% of people are not staring at your package, unless of course they're wearing baggy MTB shorts.

vqdriver
01-17-2010, 08:21 PM
try em and use em if you like it.
this past weekend i decided to try the visor that came with my helmet. it's the way to go for me. who cares how it looks.

rugbysecondrow
01-17-2010, 08:50 PM
I like wearing baggy shorts when MTBiking, especially in the spring or fall when it is chilly out. In mid summer, I have some old triathlon shorts with a thinner chamois that work really well.

xjoex
01-17-2010, 08:52 PM
I have a pair of Pearl Izumi's I really like. I must admit though, I mountain bike in just spandex shorts more than with baggies. Baggies are nice if you are going really far out in to the cut and want to look a little less fem...

-Joe

Jack Brunk
01-17-2010, 09:34 PM
For me baggy shorts sucks big time. MY bibs stay close to my body and when shifting around on the seat they don't get caught on the seat. I have some hardly used shorts if anybody wants a pair in size medium.

Louis
01-17-2010, 09:36 PM

This is a serious matter. Before you buy any baggies you need to read Eugène Ionesco's play "Rhinocéros" Wikipedia Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhinoceros_(play)) That done, you can then make up your mind.

veggieburger
01-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Ok, I'll get right on it. This is more serious than I thought.

Keep in mind that these are only training rides, and only when I'm on the MTB, which is perhaps 25% of my riding time.

Again...I don't mind walking around in my tights, but I feel like such a snot when the rest of the troupe walks into Starbucks in baggies. I feel - like they must think that I think I'm hot **** because I'm wearing tights. It's an issue of...humility? I don't know. I just don't want to be the only one smuggling kumquats in social situations.

sg8357
01-18-2010, 08:51 AM
I'm a lycra guy @ heart, but all my mountain biking friends wear baggies, so I'm going to take the plunge this summer. I have never tried baggy cycling shorts - I went to my LBs the other day and the chamois I examined were pretty crude.

Anyone have any experience/recommendations? :D

Cut out the cheesy liner, wear over a good pair of cycling shorts.

paczki
01-18-2010, 08:59 AM
If you're embarrassed for the coffee shop just roll up a light pair of nylon shorts, put them in your jersey pocket and don them when you stop.

bluesea
01-18-2010, 09:52 AM
MTB shorts are one of the most flakey-est fashion statements I've ever seen. The best functioning and coolest baggys are board shorts.

These shorts cover the knees, but don't grab. Unlike MTB shorts, surf shorts don't have the plethora of pockets, weird multi-colored panel construction, and adjustable tensioning straps left, right, and center. Bibs work surprisingly well under board shorts because of their light fabric and minimal construction, and movement on saddle is as unobtrusive as can be expected.