PDA

View Full Version : Harpoon B2B

clunk
01-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Anybody here doing this? I noticed that the registration is on Tuesday; ride this year is on June 19.

Ti Designs
01-17-2010, 10:37 AM
I am, now it's just a question of which bike. My Serotta, my tandem, my fixed gear or my unicycle. I would need a good stoker for the tandem (Barbara no longer rides, too bad...), It would take more than the pull of a brewery to get me there on the unicycle. If I don't have a fast group to keep up with I may try the fixed gear - haven't done anything that stupid since the Boston Brevet series.

CDRB
01-17-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm in for the 3rd time. Be ready to sign up at 7:00 AM. It'll sell out in 30 minutes. Awesome time!

Bob Ross
01-17-2010, 06:56 PM
I would need a good stoker for the tandem

Don't tempt me!

ahumblecycler
01-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Question please. How serious should someone take the following?

"The Harpoon Brewery to Brewery Ride (B2B) has become every cyclist’s toughest and most rewarding ride of the year, measuring at 150 miles and over 7,000 feet of climbing. No small feat! This ride is for serious, well-trained cyclists only. Riders start at the Harpoon Brewery in Boston, MA and must keep a pace of 16mph or faster heading north to the Harpoon Brewery in Windsor, VT."

I am tempted, but I have to confess that I am intimidated by the warning.

cp43
01-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Question please. How serious should someone take the following?

"The Harpoon Brewery to Brewery Ride (B2B) has become every cyclist’s toughest and most rewarding ride of the year, measuring at 150 miles and over 7,000 feet of climbing. No small feat! This ride is for serious, well-trained cyclists only. Riders start at the Harpoon Brewery in Boston, MA and must keep a pace of 16mph or faster heading north to the Harpoon Brewery in Windsor, VT."

I am tempted, but I have to confess that I am intimidated by the warning.

I'd say that the warning is about right, it's a tough ride, and you need to train for it. However, if you do train, including a couple of long rides leading up to it, you'll be fine.

I say go for it. It's great fun. :banana:

Chris

clunk
01-18-2010, 07:38 AM
I'm in for the 3rd time. Be ready to sign up at 7:00 AM. It'll sell out in 30 minutes. Awesome time!

Wow . . . I'll be there then.

jasond
01-18-2010, 08:25 AM
I'm going to do my best to get in on the fun!

J

Ti Designs
01-18-2010, 05:07 PM
"The Harpoon Brewery to Brewery Ride (B2B) has become every cyclist’s toughest and most rewarding ride of the year, measuring at 150 miles and over 7,000 feet of climbing. No small feat! This ride is for serious, well-trained cyclists only.

And yet the people who so need to read this and really understand it never will...

jasond
01-19-2010, 06:18 AM
….sold out in MINUTES!!! I went on to the site at 6:55 and kept clicking the link until it brought me to the registration page. Once I got on, I filled out the form and by the time I was finished filling the form out and clicked the calculate totals button I got this message "Requested quantity not available". :crap: Very disappointed! Well, I guess I’ll keep my eye out on Craigslist.org and the classifieds here for people selling there registration.

clunk
01-20-2010, 05:12 AM
I missed it too. Got in to work from my morning commute at 7:03 and tried to register immediately but it was too late.

merlinmurph
01-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Didn't it used to be around 130 miles? I don't remember 150. Looking at the route, I thought it used to go thru Keene, then north on rte 12. Now, it's goes west to Brattleboro, then turns north.

Murph (who is not entirely bummed the B2B filled up) :rolleyes:

fiamme red
01-20-2010, 12:31 PM
I am, now it's just a question of which bike. My Serotta, my tandem, my fixed gear or my unicycle. I would need a good stoker for the tandem (Barbara no longer rides, too bad...), It would take more than the pull of a brewery to get me there on the unicycle. If I don't have a fast group to keep up with I may try the fixed gear - haven't done anything that stupid since the Boston Brevet series.Hey Ti, Bruce Ingle just mentioned you today on the randon list. :)

http://groups.google.com/group/randon/msg/43969047a10b1a58

So was it a 47/17?

cp43
01-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Didn't it used to be around 130 miles? I don't remember 150. Looking at the route, I thought it used to go thru Keene, then north on rte 12. Now, it's goes west to Brattleboro, then turns north.

Murph (who is not entirely bummed the B2B filled up) :rolleyes:

It did get longer, they moved it off of route 12 in NH to get away from the traffic, that section wasn't very pleasant. The new route is a little hillier, and longer, but nicer. They say 150, but I think it's closer to 147ish, although, at that point, who's going to argue about 3 miles.

Chris

clunk
01-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Did you get in Chris?

cp43
01-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Did you get in Chris?

I rode it last year, so I was able to get in with the early alumni registration.

Chris

jeffinCT
01-20-2010, 04:45 PM
I can't believe how fast this sold out! I had my form filled out in 30 seconds and I clicked the button and it was full. :crap: Maybe next year...

old fat man
01-20-2010, 04:54 PM
who's to say you can't follow the same route on the same day? i see no problem with following the same route as long as you do not you the b2b services. stop at gas stations for refueling, not their aid stations and buy your own beers when you get to VT. they are all public roads so go for it. spend the $200 on beers and a nice place to stay in VT afterward.

or better yet, organize your own crew to do the route on a separate weekend so you can have the route to yourselves (relatively speaking)

TimD
01-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Barbara stopped riding? That's hard to believe! She was truly hard core.

Over four events my recorded distance was 135 miles or more each time. My last event, the first year of the new course, clocked in at 149.5.

If you ride it alone or with a smaller group you'll likely miss a number of things:

Tri-geek supermen struggling to go uphill

People in the woods puking on the 6-mile climb up NH 63

A badly-needed wheel of the lantern rouge of the next peloton to overtake you

The cool jersey

The fat guys with cigars waiting to tee off and wondering just how many idiots rode all the way from Boston for a couple of beers, when all they really had to do was wait for the beer cart

Good times :)

Tim

old fat man
01-20-2010, 08:33 PM
...If you ride it alone or with a smaller group you'll likely miss a number of things:

The cool jersey

Good times :)

Tim

those jerseys are DEFINITELY worth $200. so awesome that I see 4 or 5 of them around boston on any given summer sunday. :p

Ti Designs
01-20-2010, 09:10 PM
Hey Ti, Bruce Ingle just mentioned you today on the randon list. :)

http://groups.google.com/group/randon/msg/43969047a10b1a58

So was it a 47/17?

I'm pretty sure it was a 50/18. So maybe I am dumb enough to do it on the fixed gear...