PDA

View Full Version : Sanibel-Captiva Islands and Ft. Myers, FL April 17-22

Bruce K
03-03-2005, 08:47 AM
I will be vacationing with my family on Captiva between April 16 (afternoon arrival) and April 23 (morning departure).

I plan to do most of my riding on the islands with 1 or 2 trips to connect with the Caloosa Riders in Ft. Myers.

Anyone going to be in the area or have any other ideas on some good rides?

I am looking to do between 35 & 50 miles daily.

BK

AHava
03-03-2005, 11:15 AM
Hi Bruce,

I've been down there many times, and am actually going again tomorrow. I have always rented a hybrid, as Sanibel has a nice system of paved bike paths. This time I'm renting a road bike, so I've poked into roack biking on and around the islands. I'll sum up what I've found.

The causeway has "no bikes" signs on it, but this rule isn't strictly enforced. The Caloosa Riders, a Ft. Merys bike club, has a ride map on their website that includes a trip over the bridge. I'm not familiar with routes on the mainland, but Caloosariders.com has plenty of ride maps for the area.

As far as island routes, Captiva has one road, and it's got no shoulders. Speed of traffic is pretty slow on Captiva, so you should be all right. When you cross over onto Sanibel, hop onto the bike path that runs parallel to SanCap Rd. The path isn't crowded at this part of the island, and traffic on SanCap is alternately really fast and really geriatric. On the West Gulf side of the island, I'd ride the roads rather than the paths. You'll see what I mean.

For bike rental, I always use The Bike Route on Sanibel. $70 a week for a hybrid, $100 for a roadie. Road bikes are pretty nice Cannondales.

Have fun,

Alex

Bruce K
03-03-2005, 12:13 PM
Alex;

Thanks for the info.

We vacation there regularly and I am bringing my Concours for the week.

The bike path is OK if you get on it early and avoid the walkers and skaters.

I try to stay off the actual road where there is a bike path.

The Causeway had a bike lane up until the renovation and I don't know what the situation is now.

You are correct, the Caloosa Riders have a regularly scheduled ride over to the islands from Ft. Myers.

I am actually looking to see if there will be any folks around to get together with and do some riding.

Thanks again,

Bruce

Johnnyg
03-04-2005, 10:31 AM
hello Bruce, I have been on Sanibel since 1/17 and have ridden the Ottrott 1500 miles. The roads are rough due to the Charlie clean up but not that bad. Captiva recieved the brunt of the damage as you will see. No South Seas, it's under renovation for a year. I've been riding with the Caloosa Ryders. Many of us will be gone when you get here but the full timers will be around. The Saturday ride out of Buckingham Park at 8am is fast if you stay with the young dudes. Have a save and wonderful time. The causeway is under construction but doable. :beer:

Bruce K
03-04-2005, 11:18 AM
So there you are johnny. I was wondering where you had gotten to.

I take it from your message that your are leaving in early April. Bummer.

I won't travel with the Ottrott for a 1 week vacation, the Concours will be fine. I do take the Ottrott for special events like RFR and this year's Sunflower Revolution.

We are staying in a condo at Sunset Captiva, across from Jensen's Marina.

We saw the pictures from local freinds showing all the pines gone and San-Cap road "exposed".

I am going to try and make the Caloosa Riders Pelican Ride on Sunday. I'm not sure I will be ready for the Buckingham gang quite yet. The mid-week Bell Tower stuff is probably not worth driving over for. I can do 30-40 miles without leaving the islands and be done by 9:30, including a stop at The Bean.

Sorry we will miss each other. We used to do February vacation but found it just too crowded and crazy. The April break tends to be a bit more relaxed down there.

BK

Johnnyg
03-06-2005, 06:48 PM
thanks Bruce I hope you have many safe and enjoyable miles here as I have had. You are right the Bell Tower is not worth the drive or $ as the causeway is 6$ now! You could hang on with the B group at buckingham as I do. I plan to ride out of Ashville for a few days before heading to back to Maine. Give me a call at 239-395-9611 in case i am still around. Enjoy life!