PDA

View Full Version : Serotta build information?

VTCaraco
01-15-2010, 10:11 AM
I just tried calling the Serotta number (518-584-1221) and can't seem to get through. I don't think it's an issue on my end, but stranger things have happened...

Anybody (with any connections) have an ability to get geo information?
I'm looking at a second-hand bike that was a custom build. The seller no longer has the build sheet. The serial number (as best he could read it) is ccs 551838

I'm near a phone for another 30 minutes, then unavailable until after business hours. I'd love to get the details as soon as possible.

VTCaraco
01-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Just got through to the number and was told that it would take a lot of time to find the information in an archive; especially with the January staff.

Too bad.

shiftyfixedgear
01-15-2010, 11:09 AM
I didn't realize that Serotta is supposed to provide the time-consuming archive search FOR FREE to someone buying a second-hand frame, which Serotta doesn't make a dime on.

Modern records are probably all on a computator but the old ones are all on index-card "build cards". These are in dusty boxes (and boxes and boxes). And through time many cards are missing or destroyed.

So let me get this straight - YOU'RE disappointed ?

Pete Serotta
01-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Serotta will provide the info to the shop that sold the frame or to the original owner.... It just became too time consuming and lots of the records from over 5 years ago were lost in a server crash.

PETE

VTCaraco
01-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Thanks, Pete.
I thought that the factory provided geo based on comments that I've read here. I also remember, now that you mention it, that a fair bit was lost at some point.
Ultimately, it would have been great to be able to get the details; and so I stick by my "too bad" ~ and still hold our host in high esteem.

Pete Serotta
01-15-2010, 04:19 PM
I wish it would have been all on line for the frames live on,,,,,a "refresh" from the factory of a used frame can not be told from a new one.... BUT IT MUST FIT!!!! Most of the folks with their new frames get a "build sheet" from their dealer - -if they do not - ask the dealer for it or ask us. This is good to have if you upgrade or want a "duplicate" geometry frame made.

Pete

Thanks, Pete.
I thought that the provided geo based on comments that I've read here.
I also remember, now that you mention it, that a fair bit was lost at some point.
Ultimately, it would have been great to be able to get the details; and so I stick by my "too bad" ~ and still hold our host in high esteem.