PDA

View Full Version : Integrated CF stem/bar longevity

Nil Else
01-15-2010, 12:17 AM
I'm curious about their longevity. I've had a Deda Alanera integrated stem/bar on a bike for about 5 years now but the actual mileage on it isn't all that high (due to the rotation issue with number of bikes). I'm not particularly worried about fatigue issue right now (never crashed or banged it around either) but I'm thinking I'd like to get some idea.

I remember back few years ago Cinelli Ram bars with fancy paint jobs and other integrated stem/bars were very popular. Anyone ridden one for a while? How are they holding up? I'd like to hear what were some of these bars fate.

Yes I'm assuming they should be replaced like any other stems and bars of the same material and construction. Yes they are vanity thing and I'm not disputing.

pdmtong
01-15-2010, 10:43 AM
I don't own one but I'll offer my perspective...

If you are the kind of rider who is constantly torquing the bars while sprinting or climbing, then yes, there is some kind of useful life to be wary of concerning what would have been the bar/stem interface area.

On the other hand, if you are just riding along mostly and the bars are only stressed as they support your upper body weight, then personally i think there is no reason to replace on a timeline (also assuming proper torque and not left for days and days in direct UV). Road bars are not being jumped (like thier mtb counterparts) so I think the daily stresses encountered are well under the fatigue capacity of any high end modern bar.

Are the stem bolt threads carbon or metal? thats the place I dont like carbon...on the stem. there is no weight, shape or strength savings vs a thomson X2 or deda, and in fact a carbon stem cost 3x. so I'd be more concerned about the stem than the bars....again assumng just riding along and not being thor hushovd

I know htis starts treading on the exploding carbon threads...but heck, it's a forum and it's friday

dumbod
01-15-2010, 02:51 PM
To quote the late Emily Latella "Nevermind"