PDA

View Full Version : fas tack users question

jroden
01-14-2010, 07:44 PM
i was thinking about using 3m fas tack for my road training wheels, i have always used mastic for cross and road but was curious if people were still using fast tack and if so do you put it on the base tape also or just the rim. I'm mostly motivated to get my tires stuck on a little quicker

John H.
01-14-2010, 11:14 PM
As far as I know the correct Fastack that people used to mount tubulars is no longer sold.
It was Fastack "trim"- I do not recall the actual part number.
I think it had something to do with the chemicals in that particular Fastack.
Do not use the other stuff.

fjaws
01-15-2010, 02:30 AM
I've used it, John was on the right track, it's "3M Fast tack" automotive trim adhesive. Has worked fine for me applied as I would apply any other glue; 2 thin coats on the rim and 2 thin coat on the tire base tape. Still available at automotive supply stores. Google it and you'll find plenty of places that sell it.

Here's one I found at random: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRM-8031

LegendRider
01-15-2010, 04:59 AM
i was thinking about using 3m fas tack for my road training wheels, i have always used mastic for cross and road but was curious if people were still using fast tack and if so do you put it on the base tape also or just the rim. I'm mostly motivated to get my tires stuck on a little quicker

Have you considered Tufo tape? It's the fasest and neatest way to mount tubulars. I don't worry about rolling a tire, but removing one is another story...

zap
01-15-2010, 09:10 AM
I used 3m fastak trim adhesive in the late 80's/early 90's. Stuff worked. To well. I could never get flat tubulars off the rim on the road. Had to wait until I got home to use a big screw driver to pry off the first section.

I understand the 3m formulation changed in the 90's and is no longer recommended for tubulars.

Take your time and stick with regular tubular adhesive.

torquer
01-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Fastak also acted as a solvent on some tire brands' base tape, as I recall. It did a heck of a job when it did work, though.