PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Eurus G3 Wheelset?

JPFreek
01-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Anyone out there using this wheelset? If so, do you have any feedback on rideability, trueness of the wheels over extended time, etc? I'm considering this wheelset for an HSG It frame so any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

northbend
01-13-2010, 10:59 PM
I've ridden on em for a couple of years now. Good wheelset, no issues.. I like em

JPFreek
01-13-2010, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Any idea what a fair price is I should expect for a good used set? Thanks again!

CaptStash
01-13-2010, 11:06 PM
I love my Eurus wheels. Have them on my IF Crown Jewel. Sweet riding wheels, and have been absolutely bulletproof. I am not light (about 175 pounds) and no probs after 2500 miles on a used set (bought here for a screaming cheap $300). You can find them on the bay at $350 to $500.

CaptStash....

topher
01-13-2010, 11:06 PM
I have two sets of the Zonda's - the 2005 and the newer 2008 bladed spoke version. They are very similar to the Eurus, and both have been great over several thousand miles each. Never need truing, etc. I will say that it is much easier to change tires on the newer version - the older ones are a pain in the a$$. Don't know much about the price... I paid @700 for them new, on sale at Lick Bike.

Chris

rounder
01-13-2010, 11:10 PM
I don't know about Eurus but i have campy neutrons which are similar, but with a different spoking design. They will be harder to repair than some wheels if you have spoke problems. I have had my wheels for three years and rode over rocks, broken pavement and potholes with no problems. I liked them so much i bought an extra pair of neutrons for when the first pair wears out. So far, they are still going strong. Another thing thing to consider is mounting tires. They are harder to mount tires than mavics i have owned. But i had a sidewall blowout one time when going down a hill. The tire stayed on the wheel and there was no adventure.

JPFreek
01-13-2010, 11:18 PM
I don't know about Eurus but i have campy neutrons which are similar, but with a different spoking design. They will be harder to repair than some wheels if you have spoke problems. I have had my wheels for three years and rode over rocks, broken pavement and potholes with no problems. I liked them so much i bought an extra pair of neutrons for when the first pair wears out. So far, they are still going strong. Another thing thing to consider is mounting tires. They are harder to mount tires than mavics i have owned. But i had a sidewall blowout one time when going down a hill. The tire stayed on the wheel and there was no adventure.

Having "bombproof" wheels that can handle the terrain of rocks, broken pavement, and potholes is definitely important considering I live in Houston where the roads are awful. I may check out the Neutrons too so thanks for the feedback and thanks to everyone for your input...much appreciated!

Peter B
01-13-2010, 11:51 PM
I have a pair of Eurus wheels, 2005 I think, with the steel bladed spokes. Great wheelset. Superb bearings, strong build, laterally stiff, stay true over long miles and tough terrain. No babying required. Note that I'm ~150lbs. They can be difficult to mount a new tire in comparison to Open Pros or Aeroheads where the tire can be firmly rolled on or off by hand. Internal nipples on mine means removing tire and tape to true. Never had to though. Not the lightest wheelset. Can be had in great shape for ~$400-$500, sometimes less.

jblande
01-14-2010, 01:02 AM
Have 2000 miles on a pair I picked up last summer. Have given me no problems whatsoever, even though I am at the high end (190#) for what I think is appropriate for them. They are a bit loud at first, but feel quick and nimble. Highly recommend.

Gothard
01-14-2010, 01:27 AM
I've been on Nucleons/Neutrons, clinchers and tubs for many years, and only one set (bought very used) has broken 2 spokes, from oxydation (salted roads), and I could ride them home 20+ miles. The rest have been bombproof under my 200lbs. They defy logic, being so strong with low profile rims and small spoke count.
I like them. A lot.

steelrider
01-14-2010, 01:56 AM
More good vibes re. Neutrons. I'm over 200 lbs, never a problem here in SF where the roads are third world quality. Actually the coastal highway in EL Salvador is far superior to the majority of our roads. Never a problem and we have ginormous potholes here. The kind that break axles, car axles that is.

yakstone
01-14-2010, 07:21 AM
I have Eurus on two of my rigs. I love the wheels; they have stayed true with no issues at all over the 4 years that I have ridden them. Like mentioned, they are one of the tightest wheels to change tires on. I actually bought a spare front wheel from a guy that sold it BECAUSE changing tires was so difficult.
Changing spokes can be a challenge and spokes are expensive and hard to find, but, I have only had to do that on a wheel damaged by being hit by a car in the garage. NO issues at all with them when riding.

rockdude
01-14-2010, 08:19 AM
No one makes a better wheel than Campy. I keep trying different wheelsets and always end up going back to my Eurus and Neutrons.

C5 Snowboarder
01-14-2010, 10:02 AM
I have them on my Wilier Cento 1 -- rides great - looks great. I have Conti 4000 S on them and they mount easy with out tools- just my two strong thumbs.

kestrel
01-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Bought my Eurus' in 2006 or 7. Thousands of miles of abuse from my 195 lb weight. No problems!

Careful choice of tires is suggested. Continentals are a pain to roll on the rim. I've found Michelins mount easier. I've also had a set of Vredesteins that mounted okay.

Idris Icabod
01-14-2010, 10:08 AM
I have 2 sets, the first is at least 6 years old and are still true and haven't had a single piece of maintainance I am afraid to say. They started life on a road bike, spent a bit of the time on a cross bike (being raced) and now live on my daily commuter. I once rode them straight in to the back of a parked car at about 20 miles an hour without any problem to the wheels, the damage to me however was rather worse. I would say that these wheels easily have 20K miles on them.

vqdriver
01-14-2010, 12:01 PM
i'm on my second set. both of which i bought used.
the first is the steel spoked g3, the second is the modern version with fat alloy spokes. never had a problem with either set. ride smooth, spin up nicely, loud as hell. haven't ever had to true them, which is good, cuz i'm not sure how to even do it.

tlm993
01-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Same kind of feedback here too. A little bit heavy compared to some of the newer wheelsets, but this has been a great racing/training set of hoops.

Mine are from '07 (the newer thick bladed version). They have about 10K on them with a bunch of races on them and a spectacular crash too. Only had a small wobble after a 35+ mph crash. A little truing and it's good to go.

Ride quality, they're definitely stiffer than traditional wire wheels, but that doesn't stop me from riding them every opportunity I can. Price wise, I paid about $850 3 years ago. Used, I would assume 400-450???

Look at the Shamals too!

Ozz
01-14-2010, 02:14 PM
I have a pair of Eurus wheels, 2005 I think, with the steel bladed spokes. Great wheelset. Superb bearings, strong build, laterally stiff, stay true over long miles and tough terrain. No babying required. Note that I'm ~150lbs. They can be difficult to mount a new tire in comparison to Open Pros or Aeroheads where the tire can be firmly rolled on or off by hand. Internal nipples on mine means removing tire and tape to true. Never had to though. Not the lightest wheelset. Can be had in great shape for ~$400-$500, sometimes less.
+1

I too have the older steel spoke version...since 2003...I weigh 180 and have never had to baby them in any way. I've replaced the cassette, but have never had to touch the wheels.