PDA

View Full Version : Bike shorts fabric

hookookadoo
01-13-2010, 06:55 AM
Can someone explain the difference to me in the fabric used in bike shorts? I know more panels tend to fit better than less, but that aside, I just bought some Craft shorts on BonkTown for $45 and the fabric is relatively thin - not what I was hoping. Conversely I have a pair of older Performance brand shorts(can't recall the model), but the fabric is much thicker and just feels better and of a higher quality. I know not a lot of detail but are shorts all made of the same fabric just some are thicker than others? Ordering online how do you determine thickness - does that tend to show up in the higher quality/priced shorts? :confused: Thanks!

OtayBW
01-13-2010, 07:52 AM
Some of the best - and most long-lasting - shorts I ever had were a relatively thin pair of RJs. Still have 'em. That said, just go down to the bank and make sure your credit limit is plenty high on your CC, then buy a nice pair of Assos bibs and be done with it.

Blue Jays
01-13-2010, 08:05 AM
I similarly find thicker fabrics to support hard-working muscles better.
Assos, Giordana, BlackBottoms, and others have all been in my riding gear closet. Curious to try Etxe Ondo garments and Craft as well.
Favorites (after everything is balanced) seems to be top-of-the-line Giordana so far.

Ozz
01-13-2010, 08:18 AM
...Curious to try Etxe Ondo garments and Craft as well.....
If you can find a pair of the E-O Dilar Shorts on sale, get a pair. They are a nice combo of thick and thin fabrics in just the right places.

Different fabrics usually have different brand names (Ultrasensor, Microsensor, etc) and are typically designed for different needs. Wicking vs. support vs breathability vs etc.

I've had good shorts from all differnt fabrics. My first choice is to go with more supportive (thicker) fabrics, but a good fitting short trumps whatever the fabric the short is made of.

Mr. Squirrel
01-13-2010, 09:12 AM
i recently found this thread concerning rapha fabric and colors in their racer shorts. :)

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=679385&postcount=9

mr. squirrel

mr. squirrels wheel of the week:

fulcrum - light, fast, and easily destroyed.

snah
01-13-2010, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE=Mr. Squirrel]i recently found this thread concerning rapha fabric and colors in their racer shorts. :)

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=679385&postcount=9

That's just so wrong, photo should be destroyed, never to grace the pages of this site again. Eyes are burning!!!!

Saxon
01-13-2010, 10:30 PM
As long as the fabric is red, you're good to go...

Ahneida Ride
01-14-2010, 12:27 AM
[QUOTE=Mr. Squirrel][SIZE=1]i

That's just so wrong, photo should be destroyed, never to grace the pages of this site again. Eyes are burning!!!!

Uh ... you can thank Uncle William for that one ... :crap:

William
01-14-2010, 06:27 AM
[QUOTE=snah]

Uh ... you can thank Uncle William for that one ... :crap:

How many frn's will you pay me to NOT wear them to the next forum ride??? :D

William

rugbysecondrow
01-14-2010, 06:40 AM
Maybe this is just my experience, but in general, cycling gear doesn't fit well for big guys (shorts, jerseys, jackets). I just don't think they do a good job once they get above a medium. I tried on some expensive pair, but the seams were always in the wrong place. I finally found an XL Canari pair (inexpensive too) that work well, are comfy and it has appropriate seam placement.

As for fabric, I can't answer that except to say with black, you should be good. No white please...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/chizstyx/joke/white.jpg

William
01-14-2010, 06:47 AM
Maybe this is just my experience, but in general, cycling gear doesn't fit well for big guys (shorts, jerseys, jackets). I just don't think they do a good job once they get above a medium. I tried on some expensive pair, but the seams were always in the wrong place. I finally found an XL Canari pair (inexpensive too) that work well, are comfy and it has appropriate seam placement.

As for fabric, I can't answer that except to say with black, you should be good. No white please...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/chizstyx/joke/white.jpg

They seem to be awfully happy that they won. :eek:

William

Ahneida Ride
01-14-2010, 08:09 AM
[QUOTE=Ahneida Ride]

How many frn's will you pay me to NOT wear them to the next forum ride??? :D William

1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 frns

which will be the equivalent of 1 United States Dollar, by the time of the next forum ride.

Charles M
01-14-2010, 08:46 AM
I actually had a very good answer about the several different fabrics...

but my brain just unplugged...