PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Handlebars

gwk
01-22-2004, 08:04 AM
I've been thinking about switching to carbon bars. Any recommendations? Thanks. George

Bruce K
01-22-2004, 09:10 AM
Just curious as to why you are switching to carbon?

Is it shape? weight? looks?

BK

gwk
01-22-2004, 09:45 AM
Hi Bruce,

All of the above. I'm just thinking about it. Looking for thoughts on different carbon bars so that I can make an educated decision should I decide to go that route. George

JohnS
01-22-2004, 09:52 AM
The Eastons are the cheapest out there, and well made. It's just a matter of whether you like the shape.

Tom
01-22-2004, 09:59 AM
I ordered a set of Easton bars because I was able to fit my paws into the flat spot on the drops.

Jay Torborg
01-22-2004, 10:27 AM
I love the Stella Azzurra Tirreno bar. It's a little pricey - about $400 - but it is the most comfortable bar I've tried, particularly with campy brifters. The bar is flat on the top and seems to be set up perfectly for campy. It also has finger grips along the front of the top so you can get a nice grip when climbing. It's not super light - about 250 grams - but it sure is comfortable as well as looking very cool.

I also have an Easton EC90 bar on one of my bikes. The shape of this bar works reasonably well compared to most traditional aluminum bars and it's super light weight, but I much prefer the Stella Azzurra.

Elefantino
01-22-2004, 10:44 AM
Perhaps a repeat question but I'll ask anyway:

Do carbon bars noticeably reduce road buzz or other vibration that comes to your hands? If that was quantifiable, even anedcotally, I might switch.

FWIW,
Mike

PBWrench
01-22-2004, 10:53 AM
I've got Kestrel EMS Pro SL on both of my road bikes. I like the shape, the weight is a plus (although not much lighter than say Ritchey WCS), and I believe I can feel a slight reduction in vibration, particularly when riding rollers indoors. The difference, is not, however, dramatic and I think there are other component investments that should come way before this one.

dave thompson
01-22-2004, 10:59 AM
I've got Easton EC90 bars on my Calfee. No noticable 'ride' difference from the Ritchey WCS bars they replaced, but I really like the shape as they allow more hand positions than a regular bar.

Jay Torborg
01-22-2004, 11:03 AM
I also think the big advantage with carbon bars is the shape. I have not noticed any significant difference in vibration reduction compared to aluminum bars.

- Jay

dnovo
01-22-2004, 11:30 AM
I think there was a thread on this a bit ago. The FSA K-Wing bar has the same flat top, ergonomic shape that works so well with the Campy shifters and has wonderful shapes behind the hoods and on the tops to rest your palms (when on the hoods) or the hands when on the tops. About $200. Dave N.

JohnS
01-22-2004, 11:38 AM
I don't know if I would notice a difference if I was "healthy", but I have arthritis in my shoulder and I notice a large reduction in road vibration with the Eastons.

Benjamin
01-22-2004, 11:56 AM
I've got an Easton EC-90 44cm bar that I bought and mounted on my bike, but I feel it's too big for me and I'm going to get a 42.

If anyone is interested in buying it (or by some chance, trading for a 42), drop me a private message. It's got some marks from being mounted, positioned and levers and stuff, but it's never been wrapped or ridden.

Kevin
01-22-2004, 06:02 PM
I have the Easton EC 90s on two of my bikes. I think that they are great. They seem to absorb some road vibration. They have many different hand positions. They are light. They are indestructable. They are cheap for a carbon bar. They are a good choice.

Kevin

rwl
01-22-2004, 10:12 PM
I really like the idea of the flat top of the bars. The one complaint that I have with my Kestrel carbon bars, is that riding in the drops, the bottomost part of the bar isn't long enough. Is either the FSA or the Stella Azzurra better in this regard?

I do find the road buzz is reduced, less than say the effect of a thick cork tape compared to cotton, but still noticeable.

-- Rick

Elefantino
01-23-2004, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by Benjamin
I've got an Easton EC-90 44cm bar that I bought and mounted on my bike, but I feel it's too big for me and I'm going to get a 42.

If anyone is interested in buying it (or by some chance, trading for a 42), drop me a private message. It's got some marks from being mounted, positioned and levers and stuff, but it's never been wrapped or ridden.

B:
How much to sell?
Mike