PDA

View Full Version : Switching from Topolinos to Ksyriums

sellsworth
03-02-2005, 02:54 PM
I used my REI dividend today to order some new Ksyrium SSC SL wheels. I'm going to use them rather than the Topolinos that I've had for a few years. All in all I haven't been that happy with the Topos. Yes they are light but there is way too much flex in them for me. Every time I stand and really hit the gas I can hear the rims hitting the brake pads. Also I can't keep the hubs from loosening over time. I've adjusted the rear hub more than I care to remember. The Ksyriums weigh just a little more and I think that the hubs will be much more reliable.

Serotta PETE
03-02-2005, 04:36 PM
I have had great luck with the Mavic's over the past two years. No problem what so ever in regart to deflection or re-adjusting.

Mine only have about 5K miles on them, but I have friends who have over 10K and still no maintenance needed.

You will enjoy the ride.

PETE

Jeff N.
03-02-2005, 08:09 PM
Smart man. Jeff N.

bostondrunk
03-03-2005, 09:26 AM
Smart man. Jeff N.

When topolinos first came out, and were like a grand per pair, everyone who bought them said they were the nicest wheels ever! Funny how the gimmicks always fade..

Ozz
03-03-2005, 11:02 AM
Didn't one of you have a set of Topolinos?

Are you still riding them?

1centaur
03-03-2005, 12:24 PM
When Topolino's first came out there were issues with hub play, a year or two passed, and now 95% at least of what I read is totally positive, no problems. The former was why I stayed away for a while, but now I have two pairs and think they're great - true, quiet, comfortable, light. If there are lingering problems with newer wheels, I'd like to hear more specifics.

Tony Edwards
03-03-2005, 12:29 PM
When topolinos first came out, and were like a grand per pair, everyone who bought them said they were the nicest wheels ever! Funny how the gimmicks always fade..

The same thing has happened with just about every generation of Spinergies. I've stuck to handbuilt wheels over the years, but it's interesting to see how opinions seem to evolve about whatever happen to be the latest and greatest prebuilt wheelsets.

Sandy
03-03-2005, 01:00 PM
Kevin has a set (or had a set).

Kevan could not possibly have a set. They are not made for tricycles with trainer wheels. :) :)

Sandy

Kevin
03-03-2005, 07:31 PM
I still have a set of Topolinos. They still have an incredible ride. No durability issues. Though I am spending more time with my Speed Dreams.

Kevin