PDA

View Full Version : SSC spoke length

chrisroph
03-02-2005, 11:54 AM
I just received a pair of sweet NOS Mavis SSC 28 hole rims which I got off ebay. I'm going to build the rear cross 3 with a new C-10 record hub, and the front cross 2 with an older record hub with steel axle and the wierd bulge in the center of the hub, circa late 80's. Does anyone know off hand the proper spoke lengths? Thanks!

coylifut
03-02-2005, 12:03 PM
I just received a pair of sweet NOS Mavis SSC 28 hole rims which I got off ebay. I'm going to build the rear cross 3 with a new C-10 record hub, and the front cross 2 with an older record hub with steel axle and the wierd bulge in the center of the hub, circa late 80's. Does anyone know off hand the proper spoke lengths? Thanks!

http://www.bikeschool.com/spokes/

chrisroph
03-02-2005, 12:14 PM
T: That's the hard way. It requires me to get out my tape measure and calipers. The easy way is for somebody to say I just built something similar and you need xxx. How are you feeling after hill sprints last night? I'm a bit fatigued.

flydhest
03-02-2005, 12:30 PM
T: That's the hard way. It requires me to get out my tape measure and calipers. The easy way is for somebody to say I just built something similar and you need xxx. How are you feeling after hill sprints last night? I'm a bit fatigued.

try this. I didn't check to see if it had the specific hubs and rims, but it has a lot of them.

http://www.damonrinard.com/spocalc.htm

chrisroph
03-02-2005, 01:07 PM
fly--Thanks. That is an excellent spreadsheet. It has the hubs but does not list the ssc rims. I'll measure them, find a comparable size and plug it into the calculator tonight.

chrisroph
03-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Thanks all for your help. I get rear cross 3 302 drive side, 304 non-drive side. I will use DT 14-15 and brass nipples drive side but can't decide between 14-17-14 revos/alloy or 14-15/brass non-drive side. I get 297 front cross 2 and will use revos/alloy. I'm about 165 lbs and a sprinter but I am pretty easy on wheels. Remember these will be 28's. Opinions re non-drive side rear spokes/nipples?

flydhest
03-03-2005, 07:57 AM
I personally don't think you have to worry too much about the non-drive side. I would do the 14/15 brass but for reasons that are easy to counter. First, I'm big, so I delude myself into thinking this will make a difference. Second, I'd want the nipples to match.

In general, however, remember that with that with fewer spokes, high and even tension becomes even more important. I don't know that you absolutely need a tensiometer, but they're fun to play with.

Let us know how they turn out.