PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with Circle A Cycles?

RBaker2778
01-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Thinking about a light touring bike, and was considering a Circle A. Anyone have any opinions or experience with them?

daker13
01-11-2010, 04:42 PM
I've never ridden one, but they're based in my town and I had them check out a frame for me once for damage. Chris has also graciously agreed to come talk about bikes at my daughter's school. Really nice guys, and they make beautiful bikes--I see them around Providence fairly frequently. I believe Stevil from AHTBM rides one. I might be ordering one myself in a year or two.

jtferraro
01-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Good guys, great bikes (although I don't personally own one...yet). I've been a fan for years. A few of my buddies just them, and one is now on their wait list. I posted some nice links 'across the hall' recently but am currently having a hard time finding them and cross linking them here! For now, check out their gallery @circleacycles.com (if you haven't already!).

anomaly
01-11-2010, 06:11 PM
They make wonderful bikes. I expect you would be truly happy with your ride should you decide to pick one up.

William
01-12-2010, 06:32 AM
I've been to Chris's shop a few times.. Great people and they do excellent, top notch work. I wouldn't hesitate at all to have them build me frame.

William

MilanoTom
01-12-2010, 08:20 AM
I've been to the shop many times and have had some paint work done by Brian. Everything they do is first-rate and they have the ability to take a client's vision and make it real. The last time I was there, they were putting the finishing touches on a belt-drive fixie that a customer had ordered. In order to make it work (since the belt could not be "broken" like a chain), they fabricated a neat section in the drive-side seatstay (right above the dropout) that could be opened to allow the belt to pass through. Once the belt was in place, a small bolt closed the gap and kept everything solid.

In addition to the gallery on their web site, there's one on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/circleacycles/

Regards,
Tom

WeakRider
01-12-2010, 09:02 AM
They painted my bike and did a phenomenal job.

You can see pictures of the paint here:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=66505

Acotts
01-12-2010, 09:22 AM
The Embrocation team rides them in the fall for CX and they dominate.

Awesome looking bikes. Amazing atheletes. Winning combo

jtferraro
01-12-2010, 09:51 AM
The Embrocation team rides them in the fall for CX and they dominate.

Awesome looking bikes. Amazing atheletes. Winning combo

AFAIK, only 1 Embro team member rides one - 'Dan Action' (and it is schaweet!)

RBaker2778
01-12-2010, 12:19 PM

I know Dan personally. That is what made me decide to go with them. I placed my deposit already.

jtferraro
01-12-2010, 01:00 PM
I know Dan personally. That is what made me decide to go with them. I placed my deposit already.

Awesome. Please post pics (or link) when you receive it. :beer:

RBaker2778
01-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Awesome. Please post pics (or link) when you receive it. :beer:

Will do. They are 4-6 months out right now as far as I know, so everyone should get to see it by summer time.

Acotts
01-12-2010, 01:22 PM

Thanks for the info. I did not know that. Dan is a big, strong dude...and the bike is really sick.

Rbaker, I would go with an ISP.

RBaker2778
01-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the info. I did not know that. Dan is a big, strong dude...and the bike is really sick.

Rbaker, I would go with an ISP.
Dan Langlois, aka Dan Action is not a big dude at all. He probably weighs 140lbs tops. You must be thinking of a different Dan

He is strong as hell, but I would not classify him as big at all.

Acotts
01-12-2010, 02:02 PM
It could be a selective memory thing. I only saw him at a couple of the northernish mid-atlantic UCI races. Charm City? some other really nasty one in PA...dunno. As a cat 4/3 i was probably pretty drunk by the time he raced.

I think in my head all the pro cx racers are 6'4" 220. I would make a crappy eye-witness. Funny story, I was at a bar talking racing and the dude next to me turns around and asks, "what were you saying about Harley Davidson?". It was Charles Hutcheson. I have seen him race (and win) like 15 local events. He was about a foot shorter and 100 pounds lighter than me. I thought we had similar builds. I think I just look at thighs, buns amd calves and then fill in the rest.

Still, you should get an ISP.

RBaker2778
01-12-2010, 02:25 PM
It could be a selective memory thing. I only saw him at a couple of the northernish mid-atlantic UCI races. Charm City? some other really nasty one in PA...dunno. As a cat 4/3 i was probably pretty drunk by the time he raced.

I think in my head all the pro cx racers are 6'4" 220. I would make a crappy eye-witness. Funny story, I was at a bar talking racing and the dude next to me turns around and asks, "what were you saying about Harley Davidson?". It was Charles Hutcheson. I have seen him race (and win) like 15 local events. He was about a foot shorter and 100 pounds lighter than me. I thought we had similar builds. I think I just look at thighs, buns amd calves and then fill in the rest.

Still, you should get an ISP.

I too would make a terrible eye witness. I think most people I meet are about my height and about 180lbs. In the alternative, if I am describing someone to somebody else, they are inevitably the same height as the person I am talking to, and roughly the same weight. I never get it right. That being said, I am sure Dan is 5'10 ish, and in the 140's.

He is all over the Rapha site, as he also rides on their continental team. Pretty cool pictures to look at, if you are interested.