PDA

View Full Version : Pedal powered mass transit – who needs a minivan when we can pedal one of these?

RPS
01-11-2010, 02:01 PM
My first thought was that it has to be a fake picture. Seriously, who would haul at least eight kids on a pedal-powered school transporter with a single-speed drivetrain? :rolleyes:

But the number of wheel spokes and extra reinforcements makes me think this thing actually carries some serious weight; and would be hard to Photoshop. And maybe there are gears under the micro-school-bus body that aren’t visible. Regardless that seems like a lot of weight for one cyclist.

What do you think? Is this for real? Is this a human powered vehicle intended to haul small children to school?

Keith A
01-11-2010, 02:17 PM
My guess is that this is real. I don't know where this picture was taken, but I've traveled to Central America several times. Much of the rural areas have limited access to transportation and it was common to two to four people on a regular bicycle; and they would pack in the back of these little pickups similar to the picture you posted.

Bytesiz
01-11-2010, 02:24 PM
My first thought was that it has to be a fake picture. Seriously, who would haul at least eight kids on a pedal-powered school transporter with a single-speed drivetrain? :rolleyes:

But the number of wheel spokes and extra reinforcements makes me think this thing actually carries some serious weight; and would be hard to Photoshop. And maybe there are gears under the micro-school-bus body that aren’t visible. Regardless that seems like a lot of weight for one cyclist.

What do you think? Is this for real? Is this a human powered vehicle intended to haul small children to school?

This photo is here along with some others.

http://bicicletario.com/transporte-escolar-en-bicicleta.html

I notice that the words on the side of the "bus" on your photo are different than the one in the link above.

MattTuck
01-11-2010, 02:29 PM
I notice that the words on the side of the "bus" on your photo are different than the one in the link above.

Good eye. You should be an intelligence analyst! I think the original is from India, and the one from the OP is made to look like it is from Venezuela? Perhaps to denigrate the Chavez regime. Not saying it doesn't deserve to be denigrated.

Bytesiz
01-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Good eye. You should be an intelligence analyst! I think the original is from India, and the one from the OP is made to look like it is from Venezuela? Perhaps to denigrate the Chavez regime. Not saying it doesn't deserve to be denigrated.

I was looking for clues to see if it was photoshopped. The words didn't look right (the angle mostly) so I was already looking closely at that part. It would also seem the center of gravity is too far back, but the could be the camera angle.

The photos look real to me otherwise.

RPS
01-11-2010, 02:40 PM
+1

Makes a lot more sense now. It was sent to me (as a joke) comparing transportation in Venezuela to Japan. The concept of one cyclist moving so many children caught my eye regardless of the humor, or lack thereof depending on one's point of view.

Keith A
01-11-2010, 02:53 PM
I was looking for clues to see if it was photoshopped. The words didn't look right (the angle mostly) so I was already looking closely at that part. It would also seem the center of gravity is too far back, but the could be the camera angle.

The photos look real to me otherwise.I agree. Upon closer inspection, the words on the "bus" on the OP's picture look like they've been Photoshopped.

Tobias
01-11-2010, 03:12 PM
This photo is here along with some others.

http://bicicletario.com/transporte-escolar-en-bicicleta.html

It must be flat as a pancake there because some of those bikes are very large and appear designed to carry lots of kids. Even at 50 pounds per child, total weight would add up quickly.

Forks are also interesting; lots of rake combined with very shallow head tube angles. But what's at the front of the blades? I can't make it out. Extra fork blades run up towards the bars? :confused: