PDA

View Full Version : Lacing Help?

jblande
01-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Anyone have a webpage they recommend to read about different lacings for handbuilt wheels? I am trying to figure out what spoke length I will need, but would like to learn a bit about what the different sorts of lacing-techniques are and which might be best for me.

FYI: I am 6'3", 185 lbs. Going to build, I believe, Ambrosio Excellight rims, 28/32, probably a record rear hub and a of yet undertermined front hub. These will be for training in an extremely hilly area, i.e. weight matters to me, but I am not going to give up durability altogether.

Your help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Ozz
01-11-2010, 01:26 PM
A lot of people like this site:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

I found the Gerd Shraner book on wheel building useful when it came time to lace...

:beer:

brazen.bikes
01-11-2010, 06:20 PM
I have found over the years nothing seems to beat reliable patterns like 3x. 2x is a bit lighter, perfect for front which is not stressed like rear, and looks nice and you still get a good wheel that will last for years if you take your time to tension the spokes evenly and to significant force, 100kg.

Basic, but solid.

Marcusaurelius
01-12-2010, 08:38 AM
I always use the spoke length calculator from dt swiss (dtswiss.com). I always lace my wheels 3 cross. It always holds up well for my 200+ lbs.