PDA

View Full Version : Wound up fork, good ?

rcscott
03-02-2005, 08:52 AM
Looks like the Hors Cat will fit me but we need to put on a Wound up fork. What are these forks like ?, many of you tried them out ? They look a tad unusual to modern carbon forks like the Reynolds ouzo etc.

Russ

davids
03-02-2005, 09:12 AM
Yes. I have a Wound-Up on my Seven, and am quite happy with it. I can't compare it with the competition, but I've found it stable, smooth, and precise.

Tom Kellogg's a fan, too: Spectrum Knowledge Base (http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/65.htm)

It's not the lightest fork around, but aside from that, I think it's a winner.

rcscott
03-02-2005, 09:45 AM
Thanks for that David. Weight is not really an issue to me on this bike, more comfort as its going to be my main all year round bike.

As Tom says, first implressions is its a little odd looking (Ugly) but hopefully I will get used to it!

Russ

christian
03-02-2005, 09:54 AM
I always thought the Wound Up would look hot on a DeKerf roadbike. Check the seatstays on a DeKerf to figure out why.

- Christian

Too Tall
03-02-2005, 10:17 AM
Bro I'm not being negative at all. Why must you put a Wound Up on that bike? Lots of choices out there. That fork is fantastic quality and ugly as home grown sin. Very stiff laterally. Why not a Alpha-Q?

Len J
03-02-2005, 10:36 AM
Bro I'm not being negative at all. Why must you put a Wound Up on that bike? Lots of choices out there. That fork is fantastic quality and ugly as home grown sin. Very stiff laterally. Why not a Alpha-Q?

That fork is "Butt Ugly"

Len

pdonk
03-02-2005, 10:50 AM
I always thought the Wound Up would look hot on a DeKerf roadbike. Check the seatstays on a DeKerf to figure out why.

- Christian

As a dekerf mtb owner and a person that kicks themselves for not getting a road bike from them when they were being made, here area few links to images of this rear end.

Details of painted soft tails http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/dk1c.jpg

Detail of painted hardtail
http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/UKLtd1(1).jpg

Detail of naked hardtails.

http://galleries.mtbreview.com/mtbr/gallery/pictures/Naked2s.jpg

Detail of ti hardtail

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/ti2(1).jpg

Note while not custom built, the workmanship is some of the best in the industry. They will do custom work, if they have the time and feel like it, but the cost is prohibitive.

rcscott
03-02-2005, 11:08 AM
That fork is "Butt Ugly"

Len

This dealer fittted me for a Ottrott a while back and it fits like a glove. Got to say I don't fully understand this but, he is saying that the Hors Cat has a 7cm dropout at the stays instead of 8 on my Ottrott. Some how that equates to needing a slightly taller fork at the front. Its a 1" head tube.
He says that the wound up is the only fork he knows that will fit the bill to give me the same setup as my Ottrott.

rcscott
03-02-2005, 11:09 AM
He he, wrong quote. Aimed at Too Tall. :-)

zap
03-02-2005, 11:12 AM
Not sure the Wound Up would be a good match for the Hors rear. Too stiff even for most riders on conventional bikes. And it looks......, well, you know already.

Check out Alpha Q, Easton or Look forks.

rcscott
03-02-2005, 11:25 AM
Okay, slightly wrong here. Its all about fork length.

Apparently the ideal fork was the F1 but the ones he has are a quill system and I want an A-head.

The F1 is 36.5" in length and the wound up equates to about a 37.8 which is good enough. The Ouzo's and Alphas are 37.5 which equates to a 1deg increase in the head tube angle changing the handling of the bike. So now you know :confused:

So I basically need to find a nice looking fork that is a A-head, fits a 1inch head tube and is 36.5" in length, how hard can that be ? :rolleyes:

zap
03-02-2005, 11:38 AM
37.5 which equates to a 1deg increase in the head tube angle

Not sure about that. Maybe a 1/3 degree but someone who has the trig formula can confirm the change.

I changed from an al fork to the taller alpha Q and I couldn't feel a difference.

Too Tall
03-02-2005, 11:55 AM
It won't make any diff. according to the dope I get via Serotta Kelly. OK, how about an Ouzo Pro Peloton than? Or for alot less $$s and a very fine fork a Kestrel EMS.

Len J
03-02-2005, 12:05 PM
This dealer fittted me for a Ottrott a while back and it fits like a glove. Got to say I don't fully understand this but, he is saying that the Hors Cat has a 7cm dropout at the stays instead of 8 on my Ottrott. Some how that equates to needing a slightly taller fork at the front. Its a 1" head tube.
He says that the wound up is the only fork he knows that will fit the bill to give me the same setup as my Ottrott.

a 7 Cm Bottom Bracket Drop, vs an 8 MM BB Drop.

You might want to try and find a used F1 fork.

Len

David Kirk
03-02-2005, 12:14 PM
I feel that the Wound Up is too much too long. That's a full 1/2" difference. That will not help the handling of the bike what so ever. Run away.

An Ouzo is 367. That's what I would use.

Dave

rcscott
03-03-2005, 02:04 AM
Yep, Ouzo was the one I want but he recons it wont work. I am busy firing off emails to fork manufacturers to find 1" forks, their rake and lengths. Why don't they post this info on the sites? None of them do, surely this is really important information!?? :crap:

Tony Edwards
03-03-2005, 02:30 AM
Yep, Ouzo was the one I want but he recons it wont work. I am busy firing off emails to fork manufacturers to find 1" forks, their rake and lengths. Why don't they post this info on the sites? None of them do, surely this is really important information!?? :crap:

With all due respect to your shop, I'd trust the man who designed your bike (Mr. Kirk) over an LBS employee.

Kane
03-03-2005, 02:48 AM
to have the gentleman who designed the darn frame giving you advice on what fork to use. Wouldn't it be great if politics worked as well.

Dave Kirk and Richard Sachs are both excellent guys.

Kane

rcscott
03-03-2005, 03:36 AM
Absolutely, where else would you get that eh! :cool:

Russ

dirtdigger88
03-03-2005, 07:11 AM
With all due respect to your shop, I'd trust the man who designed your bike (Mr. Kirk) over an LBS employee.

too true

Jason

rcscott
03-03-2005, 07:39 AM
Absolutely, although having said that I do trust my LBS guy. He was the premier uk fitter for Serrotta, worked closely with Kelly amoung others and does know what he is talking about.
I've been hassling the poor guy rotten over this and with your help I think we have tracked down a fork that matches the handling spec he is after to match my Ottrotto and it isn't a wound up :-)
According to the Uk distributer for Easton, their new 2005 SL curved matches the 365 fork length spot on and they have the zero offset seat post to match. Sounds too good to be true but fingers crossed, would look cool and handle a treat I suspect.
I'll have to post a picy of it once I get this baby all together. :banana:

David Kirk
03-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Why does your LBS say the fork won't work? Rake? Length? Do you know the head angle of the frame?

Dave

rcscott
03-03-2005, 08:57 AM
Why does your LBS say the fork won't work? Rake? Length? Do you know the head angle of the frame?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the input. Just waiting to hear back on the frame head angle, will let you know in a moment hopefully.

He thinks you are measuring a cross wound up fork to get it that long as he has a road one in the shop and it comes out, crown to wheel axle, at 36.8cm in length which is almost the same as the F1 which was 36.5cm. I think the F1 rake was 43 but don't quote me on that. He recons the Ouzo Pro tend to be longer at around 37cm but also vary by about .5 cm or more in length presumably down to the build process. So if we went for one we could not guarantee the length and hence head angle and handling.

He is not saying the Ouzo Pro wont work, or that it is not a very good fork (which we all know it is) just that the ride would be different to my Ottrott which handles very well and his aim is to keep the new bikes handling the same. Maybe he is being to much of a perfectionis ? I don't know, unfortunately I'm not an expert just pulling info together as I go.

rcscott
03-03-2005, 09:29 AM

Dave

Dave,

It apparently is a standard Hors geometry for the 2000/01 when they first came out (I expect you have it all!). Its a frame they got in and its never been sold/used because everyone thought it looked odd.

The head tube is 73 deg same as my Ottrott which is running the F2 fork.

The Hors is a 56 standard TT while my ottrott is a 55 compact.

Russ

Dekonick
03-03-2005, 04:07 PM
If it is a 56 Hors go with the ouzo pro. Thats what I was told to put on mine (and it seems Mr. Kirk agrees...)

Mine rides great with an O2 (ouzo pro made for Serotta) - 43 rake.
BTW - my HC is also a 56cm stock frame.

Perhaps Smiley can also add some info here -

Dekonick
03-03-2005, 04:08 PM
one difference is that mine is 1-1/8 not 1" -but I think you can still get the Ouzo Pro in 1"

Kirk Pacenti
03-04-2005, 12:54 AM

rcscott
03-04-2005, 02:36 AM
Thats very interesting to hear Dekonick thanks. Ouzo Pro has always been my no 1 choice to put on. (btw I presume you are still overjoyed with your HC and wouldn't want to change it ?)

If I do decide to stick to the 36.5 limit (After getting mails back from all the major fork manufacturers) I could go with the Look HSC3 or Easton SL curved (or of course the wound fork). I would dismiss the HSC3 as a lot of reviews have criticised it for too much flex. The wound up has had some records of failing completely at the steerer/fork join which is a little un-nerving and of course its looks are not to everyones tastes (which is what kicked this thread off).

So with a 36.5 limit I would go with the Easton SL which would also match the zero layback seatpost they do.
Or I say sod it and go with the 1" Ouzo pro and maybe the Thompson post.
Choices choices.

Anyone have any experience of carbon Easton forks ?

slowgoing
03-04-2005, 02:41 AM
Well, I guess the good thing about a Wound Up fork is that it's so funny looking no one will be looking at the rear end of the Hors.

rcscott
03-04-2005, 03:01 AM
Well, I guess the good thing about a Wound Up fork is that it's so funny looking no one will be looking at the rear end of the Hors.

:)

It is un-usual, but I already have a Ottrott and wanted a new, fast, main mileage bike for all year use that is Ti and very comfortable. Everyone seems to rave about the ride quality of the HC and it would be (apparently) a noticibly different ride to my Ottrott and Steel Chas Roberts to make it a nice addition to the stables.

Tony Edwards
03-04-2005, 10:46 AM
In the interest of having at least one dissenting voice, I really don't think the Wound-Up forks are ugly or even strange-looking. They certainly have an aggressively modern, blocky appearance, but not one that, IMO, looks awkward or ugly.

Dekonick
03-04-2005, 12:43 PM
I feel for your Ottrott. Now you have your own Hors Cat you wont ride the Ottrott anymore. What a shame.

Go find some nice hills and enjoy the feel of - freedom -

Be careful tho - you will find that you will feel much more comfortable flying down around curves - but the rear can't compensate for stupid drivers, sand, etc...

You will LOVE your Hors. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

Who cares how the rear looks? Its different for certain but its the best ride in town.

Vancouverdave
03-04-2005, 12:48 PM
Eye of the beholder, I guess. I've always thought that a Wound Up might look good on a "modern/classic" type of road frame, say, something built with Richard Sachs or Henry James lugs. They remind me of old Schwinn Paramount track forks.

rcscott
03-05-2005, 08:53 AM
Well I went down there and had a damn good look and winge about the forks and kind of thought they were not as bad looking as I remembered (when I squinted ;-). Anyways he was basically throwing them in for not a lot so I've decided to give them a whirl as he is so adament they are the boys for the job. At the price if I really don't like them I'll take them off and get either the Easton SL or Ouzo Pro. Most likely the Ouzo as that is what Dave et al recommend.
Unfortunately my Chris King headset hadn't arrived so I couldn't bring it home :-( but should be ready for collection next Thursday :banana:

Not use my Ottrott ? Thats seems very hard to believe as it is obviously the best bike on the planet :D

Roll on Next weekend so I can give the new beast a whirl. I'll post a picy and let you know my thoughts on the ride.

Thanks one and all for the input.