PDA

View Full Version : touring: SF to LA ~ Weather in mid-late APRIL?

raygunner
01-10-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm planning on riding from SF to LA (and back) in mid-late April. I have a two week vacation and would love to do a nice ride!

I have the maps from Adventure Cycling, got myself a new touring bike, I just need a plane ticket!

Since I'm from the fozen tundra (and murder capital!) of Chicago I'm inquiring to all you California residents to see if riding from SF to LA in April is feasible.

I checked out the weather stats on various sites and the temps & precipitation average levels looked good but I wanted to know what you guys throught.

Any tips or insight would be greatly appreciated!

I'm looking to get outta town & ride! :beer:

Ken Robb
01-10-2010, 05:54 PM
it should be fine with a chance of rain near SF that will diminish as you go south. You might like to ride from SF to LA on the coast because that will give you the best views and tailwinds. Consider riding north inland along some nice country roads to see "the other" California.

vqdriver
01-11-2010, 12:52 AM
We get hit with precip randomly in the spring. But coming from Chicago you'll just scoff at it. It's nothing compare to places with seasons.
I'd be more concerned with the extreme exposure in some parts of pch.

Steve in SLO
01-11-2010, 01:10 AM
April should be a fine time to do your ride. Chilly mornings usually give way to sunny afternoons and heading south tailwinds are the rule. HWY 1 will be beautiful between Carmel and SLO.
Do you have a route in mind? Camping or credit card ride?
If given specifics, we Californians may be able to help out more (places to stay, ride buddies, etc)

raygunner
01-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Well I think it's gonna be split between a little plastic, crashing at some friends & camping.

I tried my hand at touring when I was a much younger lad, attempting to go from Vancouver to SF. I tried to do it on a Merlin w/ a big ol' messenger bag on my back. Long story short it didn't work out too well.

Thanks for the help, I'm gonna get that plane ticket today. I can't wait, it's like 10 degrees right now in Chicago! Ouch!

Ken Robb
01-11-2010, 09:43 AM
I have ridden (motorcycle) or driven this many times and the good news is that there are many small old-timey motels where you enter your room right from the parking area. That's convenient for getting your bike into your room and the rates are usually very reasonable. Pismo Beach and Morro Bay are often a bit cheaper than Cambria.

In gas stations and cafes you can often find racks with magazine size booklets full of coupons for motels listed geographically for the length of California at rates from $30-50. That's close enough to camping fees that I wouldn't consider carrying a tent and other camping gear up those long steep hills.

There is enough junk roadside that tough cushy tires like 700x35 Paselas would be my choice. The worst danger for flats seems to come from bits of wire from disintegrated tires. You can't see them like pieces of broken glass so they have lots of time to work there way into the tire. At least the puncture is usually a slow leak that won't cause a crash.

Willy
01-11-2010, 02:31 PM
If your plans are not firm you might want to consider riding the AidsLife cycle ride: http://www.aidslifecycle.org/ - goes from June 6 to June 12 this year.

I did it twice a few years ago and it was a fantastic experience.

anomaly
01-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Also if you aren't set on SF->LA you should do Portland -> SF, it is a much nicer ride. Not that SF -> LA is bad, the other is just better.

false_Aest
01-11-2010, 06:48 PM
If you make it down to LA and spend a day or more here, let us know. I'll take you on a ride or two.

raygunner
01-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Tell me more about riding from Portland to SF?

I'm reading a great tour diary about going from Portland to SF & it looks great!

Here's the link: here (http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=RrzKj&doc_id=3493&v=5R)

PS - What about the weather up there in mid-late April?

lavi
01-11-2010, 11:11 PM
PS - What about the weather up there in mid-late April?

Unfortunately, it'll probably piss rain in Oregon until late May...That's Portland area, not sure about further south in the state.

I'd love to ride PDX to SFO...

raygunner
01-12-2010, 09:42 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking.

I do have another vacation in early Oct so maybe I can tackle that portion of the Pacific Coast then.

I think SF to LA will be good. I'll be going solo (unless I meet some friends along the way) and I have some places to crash on both ends of the trip.