PDA

View Full Version : winter commuter tights--chamois or not?

3cb
01-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Newbie question: I'm considering some winter tights that I will likely wear underneath khakis (NJ weather). The price difference between the chamois & no chamois versions is small. My commute is just 8.5 miles each way (typically 30 minutes). Until now I have not used padded shorts for commuting.

Upside: I could use the padded version on my weekend rides.

Downside: Laundering them may take more care. Longevity?

rugbysecondrow
01-10-2010, 12:46 PM
I wouldn't wear padded shorts for that. Frankly, I hate the feel of padded shorts unless I am on the bike. For that short of a ride, you are good without.

zott28
01-10-2010, 01:00 PM
I ride a selle anatomica saddle on my commuter (14 miles total), there is really no reason for pads on that saddle on any ride under 20 miles.

http://www.selleanatomica.com/

Erik.Lazdins
01-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Tights without chamois offer several advantages
1. If you want a chamois wear bike shorts underneath
2. Launder less often
3. Tights can be worn by themselves or under other pants for cold weather outdoor activities

best,
Erik

Johny
01-10-2010, 04:12 PM
If you want a chamois wear bike shorts underneath

+1. I use knickers underneath (winter here is cold and windy).

Make sure you have a chamois. 8.5 miles are not short for winters; if you ride everyday, your groins and butts will thank you.

Pete Serotta
01-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Come down and ride with us.... !!!! We are cold here (mid 20s) it should feel like early spring for you.!!! Happy New Year. PETE

+1. I use knickers underneath (winter here is cold and windy).

Make sure you have a chamois. 8.5 miles are not short for winters; if you ride everyday, your groins and butts will thank you.

JeffS
01-10-2010, 04:30 PM
I ride a selle anatomica saddle on my commuter (14 miles total), there is really no reason for pads on that saddle on any ride under 20 miles.

http://www.selleanatomica.com/

:crap:

Because there's a big difference between 19 and 21 miles.

---------------------

If you haven't been wearing padded shorts, then skip it. Either way, skip it.

Buy one with a pad and you have to wash them every day. Buy one without and you only have to wash them when you feel like it.

rugbysecondrow
01-10-2010, 04:48 PM
about 8 minutes. Of course, you might draw the line somewhere more meaningful, like 22 miles. :rolleyes:

CNY rider
01-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Ok, maybe I'm an unhygienic person and should keep my mouth shut before I gross people out but...........

I commute and prefer a chamois in my tights.
When I wear tights with bike shorts underneath I get sores. Tights with chamois, no sores.

Now the confession: I commute 15 miles round trip and I don't wash my bibs every night.

Oh well. :butt:
:crap:

Because there's a big difference between 19 and 21 miles.

---------------------

If you haven't been wearing padded shorts, then skip it. Either way, skip it.

Buy one with a pad and you have to wash them every day. Buy one without and you only have to wash them when you feel like it.

Johny
01-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Come down and ride with us.... !!!! We are cold here (mid 20s) it should feel like early spring for you.!!! Happy New Year. PETE

Happy New Year Pete.

I was XC skiing and walking on snow with kids this afternoon in our backyard. We went sledding on Saturday and both days were sunny, fun and so beautiful (although wind chill was minus9F). Really wish you guys were here to enjoy the winter with us.

John

spiderman
01-10-2010, 09:54 PM
The last couple months I just wear
Showers pass pants over my wrinkle free dress pants
...Perfect from 30 below to 30 above!
If I ride for an hour at noon
Then I do wear tights I bring along
For a longer more intense ride