PDA

View Full Version : guru cross

Plum Hill
01-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Looking for an inexpensive cross frame and came across Guru Venio cx.

Full custom aluminum w/fork for $1100.

Any opinions?

vqdriver
01-10-2010, 11:47 AM
1100 for a custom frameset is tempting.
i wonder how 'custom' they can make it. is it just geometry, or can they do customized brake/disc/fender mounts? different cable routing? how about tube choice?

their site isn't terribly informative about the custom, but the picture shows eyelets on the fork and not the frame.

who does the fittings?

so many questions.

djg
01-10-2010, 12:20 PM
I dunno a thing about them -- although I've seen a few guru road and tt bikes out and about, I don't recall seeing any of their cross bikes and I was at some pretty big races this fall. 1100 for a top notch made-to-measure frameset (if that's what it is) is attractive in the abstract but, at the same time, post-season deals on cross frames, both new and used, can be pretty darn attractive, so if something proven and off-the-peg fits . . . well, I guess I'd prefer that to a shot in the dark. Do you have a current cross bike that's not working for you?

Plum Hill
01-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Geometry is custom. LBS says eyelets can be added for fenders and/or rack, but price seemed exorbitant considering initial frame cost.

Fork is Taiwanese. FSA headset included.

I have only seen pictures of the frame. Welds were in the "pipefitter apprentice" category (large beads); not sanded as Cannondale.

Issue for me is custom geometry. I have to have it. Price is right for limited use.

I only know of Guru as one of the favorite rides of triathletes.

vqdriver
01-10-2010, 01:13 PM
check with 54ny77 re custom aluminum tsunami frames. he's very happy with them and i believe he's in the process of building a second tsunami.

pricing is around 600 frame only, which is crazy good. and you can pick your own fork as you need it.

i've spoken to joe wells on the phone and he's seems like a super nice guy to boot. worth a phone call at least.

jroden
01-10-2010, 02:53 PM
I ordered one but it is not in yet. They were able to do a pump peg, chain hanger and route the cables under the BB for the derailleurs. The ones I have seen look nice, if you don't need a custom bike there are decent complete bikes at the same pricepoint.

zennmotion
01-11-2010, 04:01 PM
check with 54ny77 re custom aluminum tsunami frames. he's very happy with them and i believe he's in the process of building a second tsunami.

pricing is around 600 frame only, which is crazy good. and you can pick your own fork as you need it.

i've spoken to joe wells on the phone and he's seems like a super nice guy to boot. worth a phone call at least.

I have a Tsunami cross bike built last year by Joe in Phoenix AZ, I've raced all season on it. I thought it felt pretty good for the first few races dialing it in. Then we got hit with the rest of the season full of slick mud and nastiness, and the bike revealed it's true nature- holy crap this thing is awesome! It's the blue one pictured on his website. Low BB, plenty of tire clearance, fast handling and built for racing, alignment is dead straight and the paint is (well was before the season's abuse) flawless. I asked for bombproof and I got it in spades, complete with gusseted massive downtube. I started with his "standard" geometry, and worked some geometry tweaks with him to make it mine and it came out perfect. He designed it around my Ritchey WCS cross fork that he painted to match (my fork choice, I already had it and I like the 48mm rake and mud clearance is better than most) I never weighed it, too much of a hurry to build it, but it's plenty light enough without being disposable, hardcore blue collar race bike, no BS. Feels good on the road too, if a little overbuilt for that, plan on racing Battenkill with it in April for clearance with 28mm goodness. Can't gush enough - good folks and great bikes!
www.tsunamibikes.com

acorn_user
01-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Marinoni would be another option for a custom cross bike from Canada. Their cross bike is called the Fango and is made from Columbus Zona steel. They do have an aluminium road bike in their line (the Delta) - maybe they could be prevailed upon to make an aluminium cross bike.