PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding price of NOS bicycle

ahumblecycler
01-09-2010, 01:10 PM
I need to tap the knowledge of forum members, and I apologize if this thread violates any forum rules.

I am looking to attain a travel bike with couplers. I have looked several manufactures as well as the option of buying new vs. used vs. retro-fitting. I do know it will get no more than 15% of my total yearly cycling so I do not want a big investment.

I found a Co-Motion Expresso coupler 2007 equipped with Ultegra 6600 and Easton Circuit wheels. It is complete and I could start cycling with it upon acceptance/delivery. The seller bought for wife who does not want it and it is stated as not used and the warranty cards have not mailed in. The price is $2200. The 2010 frameset with newer Alpha Q fork (probably a few grams lighter) goes for $2300.

I figure the price is good, but I wanted to hear what all of you have to say about this.

Thoughts?

OtayBW
01-09-2010, 01:35 PM
IMO, it's used, not NOS, whether it's been ridden or not. Price should reflect that - at least somewhat. Depends on what it's worth to you.

ahumblecycler
01-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Good point about the NOS vs. used argument.

As for what is worth to me, I am trying to sort that out. In an effort to help me form my judgment, I am hoping to get perspectives from fellow forum members.

rugbysecondrow
01-09-2010, 02:23 PM
I agree that the fact the bike is used and built makes it not NOS. In my opinion the fact it has couplers makes it used and not NOS since the frame has been cut and customized. I also know that finding a bike that fits with couplers is hard to do and you could spend a lot of time and money working in vain to find something that suits your liking. I was fortunate and got a good deal on a new Ritchey Breakaway with Frameset with HS for $900, if that helps. It doesn't have S&S couplers but has the Ritchey system that I like and I had used parts to built it up the way I wanted. For me, it is perfect for a travel bike.

Anyway, I am not certain if what I said was helpful or not. Only you can tell what is a good value for you and your needs.

fourflys
01-09-2010, 02:34 PM
I would think if you get it for $2k, that would be a good to me since it's basically brand new it sounds like and it has the couplers as well... The bottom line is if it fits you and has the group you like (not just what you'll settle for), then it's a good deal...

dogdriver
01-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Sounds like a pretty sweet deal-- that's $1K worth of S&S alone. Ultegra works great on tandems, and its built, which has value, though you'll probably end up changing some of the bits. Of course, verify condition, etc...CoMotion makes a nice ride...

BengeBoy
01-09-2010, 03:26 PM
My quick rule of thumb - if you can get a late model, great condition high-end/custom bike for the price of a new frame, you're in the right ballpark.

New frame = $2,300
Your "unused" deal for a complete bike = $2,200.

Seems like a deal to me.

PacNW2Ford
01-09-2010, 03:34 PM
I agree that the fact the bike is used and built makes it not NOS. In my opinion the fact it has couplers makes it used and not NOS since the frame has been cut and customized. I also know that finding a bike that fits with couplers is hard to do and you could spend a lot of time and money working in vain to find something that suits your liking. I was fortunate and got a good deal on a new Ritchey Breakaway with Frameset with HS for $900, if that helps. It doesn't have S&S couplers but has the Ritchey system that I like and I had used parts to built it up the way I wanted. For me, it is perfect for a travel bike.

Anyway, I am not certain if what I said was helpful or not. Only you can tell what is a good value for you and your needs.

How do you know that Co-Motion didn't originally build it with the couplers?

eddief
01-09-2010, 03:46 PM
and you can get a whole built bike for more than $1k less than the new frameset alone, and it is close to or just what you want, then that is a pretty smokin deal.

recently i ended up buying a used bike that i thought was being offered for a really fair price. i had no right to buy it. no need to buy it. i offered the person a rediculously lower price than he was aking...hoping he would not accept my low offer. i "almost" felt bad about my lowball. but thought he could take it or leave it.

he took it. in 10 seconds i got a return email accepting my offer.

i now own one of the finest long wheel base titanium recumbents in the land. and found out i did need it and had the right to own it.

moral?

Peter P.
01-09-2010, 03:58 PM
NOS, not NOS; to me it's irrelevant. True; if the seller called it NOS you could argue it's misrepresented, but we're splitting hairs here and there's no need to get in a debate with the seller.

The bottom line is, it's very recent vintage. Sounds like he bought it and the wife either never rode it or rode it so little as to not be worth discussing, so it's condition is likely near showroom quality. It's your size, it's fully kitted, and it's coupled. And, you're getting the entire bike for less than the price of a new, coupled frame.

Don't argue and pay the man what he wants. You both win.

MarleyMon
01-09-2010, 03:59 PM
... and the warranty cards have not mailed in. ...

Thoughts?
Will Co-Motion honor a warranty to you based on the cards alone (w/o proof of purchase from an authorized dealer)?
If the warranty is important I'd check w/ Co-Motion. Often the cards are supposed to be submitted within 30 days.
Maybe warranty is transferable.
I wouldn't call this NOS - that comes from a dealer. Its "used" in unused or like new condition (to me).

ahumblecycler
01-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Just for clarification:

NOS vs. used - I suspect he meant he purchased as NOS as he stated he bought it "2 weeks ago." Either way, I agree with above posts that it is likely not used to a degree worse than buying bike from LBS that had previous test rides.

Couplers - the coupler system was built in by Co-Motion.

Warranty - according to Co-Mo website, it is only good for original purchaser. To be honest, it is not a deal breaker.

Components - I have no experience with the Easton wheels, but I believe I have read previousy they are pretty much bombproof so I have no issue with them. A previous bike had the Ultegra 6600, and I found the FD to be less of a hassle than DA 7800 so again no problem. I have bars, stems, and saddles laying about I can change up.

Okay ... now I need to talk to him :)

rugbysecondrow
01-09-2010, 04:10 PM
How do you know that Co-Motion didn't originally build it with the couplers?

I don't.

CNY rider
01-09-2010, 06:16 PM
It's not like there are tons of these out there for sale.
You got lucky enough to find just what you wanted, in the right size.
Be thankful for your good fortune, and ride it like you stole it!

Pete Serotta
01-09-2010, 06:54 PM
It is worth what you think it is....based on

- how it fits
- Do you like the looks of it
- 6600 is a pretty bulletproof group
- Wheels - I do not know anything about them

You will also need the case and accessories for packing/traveling (about 450 new)

It is a bike that has earned a good reputation. The Alpha Q has also proven to be robust.

Value is in the eye of the beholder...... :D

Pete

pbjbike
01-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Buy it already. :beer:

ahumblecycler
01-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Just waiting for him to get back to me on some final questions :-)

John M
01-10-2010, 12:19 AM
Full bike Co-motion espresso coupled with ultegra 10s in new condition for $2200 is a smoking deal. Who needs a warranty? That is the trade off for getting it second hand and at > 1K less than it would be to by new. Plus you won't be paying any sales tax.

If it is a 55 stock, I might buy it.

TBDSeattle
01-10-2010, 09:04 PM
"Value is in the eye of the beholder"

Truer words have not been posted!

Also, for what it is worth, I've had a couple of bad experiences with Easton wheels. In particular I think their Tempest and Tempest II wheels are for the birds.

Cheers- TBD

William
01-11-2010, 03:56 AM
Co-Motion is a top of the line builder. IMO, as has been stated....Smokin deal!

William

Vancouverdave
01-11-2010, 09:35 AM
They're letting you steal that bike. Write 'em the check before they sober up.