PDA

View Full Version : Cycling in South France

C5 Snowboarder
01-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Anyone ever do any cycling in or around Marseille France and Nice? My GF and I are going these in May and hope to Rent road bikes - nice ones if we can find where. Taking shoes and pedals with us. Any stories or info would be helpful. Thanks :beer:

velotel
01-09-2010, 01:23 AM
I have no idea at all where you could rent good bikes, anywhere in France for that matter, but for good rides down there, that's easy. Just go to a book store and buy a green series IGS map for the region, the green series is 1:100000. (They night have changed the color of this series) even better are the Richards 1:50000 maps but they're hard to find. Just follow small roads, routes départementaux at the biggest, D followed by some number. Unfortunately that may have changed on the maps now because of some euro numbering system that is supposed to be replacing the old designations. It's not happening very fast happily so I think they'll still be shown as Ds. Avoid if at all possible all N routes, route nationale. There's some fine riding around Nice but you'd better enjoy climbing and climbing on steep grades. Nice is also easier to get out of. Marseille sucks in that department. Better to be up around Aix. The coast is crowded like coasts everywhere but there are some excellent bike path systems in place, particularly from Hyères towards St Tropez. But just go inland a bit and you're immediately free of the coastal clutter and following good roads for riding. Could be difficult finding good rental bikes because to my knowledge not many shops rent bikes, much less good road bikes. But then it's also something I've never looked into. Normally the weather then will be terrific. Armed with a map, you'll be fine as the roads here are very well marked though intersection signs more often than not show town and villages, not road numbers. And just remember that in France there are no wrong turns. You'll always find another road that will get you where you want to go. There are something like 1,400,000 kilometers of paved secondary roads here.

Elefantino
01-09-2010, 01:32 AM
If at all possible drive north from Marseilles and ride Mt. Ventoux, or around the Provence. It's beautiful.

Johnnyg
01-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Anyone ever do any cycling in or around Marseille France and Nice? My GF and I are going these in May and hope to Rent road bikes - nice ones if we can find where. Taking shoes and pedals with us. Any sotries or info would be helpful. Thanks :beer:
I lived in Antibes, near Nice for six weeks and road with a local club, Velo Passion. You will be in the south of France at the best time of the year for riding, fewer people than the summer and perfict weather. Riding along the coast is rolling terrain, turning north and you climb into the Maritime Alps and some of most epic riding you can find. Lots of very good bike shops that will rent you a nice bike. Have a wonderful ride. JohnnyG

ChipRI
01-09-2010, 08:47 AM
I agree - perfect time to be there. Nice and the Aix are wonderful, much better than in/around Marseilles IMO. The coast has some beautiful routes, with more rolling hills than you'd expect. Inland is spectacular, lots of paved secondary roads around vineyards and olive orchards, with the Alps lurking on the horizon. But be ready to climb!

Plenty of help from the locals too.

572cv
01-09-2010, 05:12 PM
My wife and I rented a small house for a week in Le Bar Sur Loup, pictured from a ride up to Gourdon which sits above it. Note all the loopy roads climbing up and down. Great riding. We saw TONS of cyclists every day we went out. Le Bar is at the head of the Gorge de Loup, a cool ride. Ride through Vence, up and over the col to Coursegoules and back around through the gorge. Try to the west of Grasse, in the Mons area- that was fun. The forest of Esterel, southwest of Cannes has great climbing roads through it, and dramatic views of the Med. The area north of Nice around Aspremont was fun too. We could have spent much longer. Finally, don't miss the lemon tarts at the patisserie in Tourette-sur-loup, truly sublime.

jsfoster
01-09-2010, 07:24 PM
You should ride to St. Paul de Vence, see the Meaght Foundation and the Matisse windows in the Chapel in town. And the great ride back down to the Med. A great day. Have a good time,
-Jon