PDA

View Full Version : Campy meets Hunter S. Thompson . . .

Tony Edwards
03-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Anyone remember the wild and wooly 7-speed Campy Centaur MTB stuff? It combined the beauty and bulk of a male rhino in the autumn of life with the overweening finickiness of a newborn songbird. When I worked in a shop 11 years ago, we had a lonely old Kestrel MTB built with the Campy stuff that's still probably gathering dust in the basement. Check out this auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=56197&item=7138602444&rd=1) for a moving tribute to Campy's bad old days . . .

<-------- still kinda sorta wants a full Record OR (the most elegant MTB components ever made IMO) bike

BumbleBeeDave
03-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Who the heck came up with THOSE???? . . . :eek:

BBDave

Too Tall
03-02-2005, 06:10 AM
At some point I had all that. The shifters were garbage. Everything else worked great. I've still got two sets of the cantilevers. Santana was using some of this for their high end tandems. Really neat look and way overbuilt.

BumbleBeeDave
03-02-2005, 06:51 AM
. . . I’m sure Sandy STILL thinks you “have all that!” ;) :rolleyes: :eek:

BBDave

Too Tall
03-02-2005, 10:35 AM
(Scooby-HUH???) So where's my bag of chips?

cookieguy
03-02-2005, 01:34 PM
I'm still riding my Bontrager with "chorus" OR parts (I forget the product line). Great frame, brakes with plenty of stopping power and reasonable rear shifting. It's gotten to the point when I bring the bike into the shop I either get the
a) Wow a pre-Trek Bontrager
b) Wow, I didn't know Campy made Mt. bike components.